FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prices on vintage CI???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04 13 9:53 am    Post subject: Prices on vintage CI??? Reply with quote

Went to the local flea market looking for some Wagner and griswold pieces. Found a few skillets but no DO's. what should a person be paying for these pieces???

Modified ECB
UDS
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04 13 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As little as possible!

But most flea and antique markets know what people will pay.

I've seen them from $40 and up to $150 for some of the bigger pieces.

I still work here!
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04 13 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
As little as possible!

But most flea and antique markets know what people will pay.

That's kinda what I thought based on the prices hey were tagged at. Guess I will keep looking. Will add CI to the list with webers for yard sales this spring

Modified ECB
UDS
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05 13 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is kind of like asking "how much can a person pay for a car". I buy, restore, and sell a lot of vintage cast iron. I have seen Griswold skillets sell for several THOUSAND dollars. You can find them cheap if you look around. Size has a lot to do with it as well. For example #13 skillets are a pretty rare size. You can get a #12 or #14 for a few hundred dollars and some #13's go for several thousand dollars.

Let me know if there is a certain size or brand you are looking for and I can find you something. Most stuff at the flea markets etc. will need to be cleaned and re seasoned. You never know what some people do with their CI so I don't use anything that I haven't worked over first.

Griswold's have the highest collector value and then usually Wagner. If you are just wanted some "users" and not overly concerned with brand you can get some other stuff a little cheaper that is just as nice.

About two weeks ago I bought a #13 Wagner for $100.00 cleaned it and sold it for $300 a week later.
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05 13 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a griswold with cross logo. It's a # 2 or 3 but they were asking 25 bucks. It's in good shape with little to no rust. Is that a good buy??

Modified ECB
UDS
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05 13 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again that depends. I am guessing it is not a #2. But if it is go back and get it. The are worth anywhere from $300 -$1500 depending on which one.
Now as for your description. Griswold had large and small logos with the cross. The small logo's are newer and not worth as much.The entire logo with writing is not much larger then a 50cent piece or a silver dollar.

Then the large logo's had what are called block logos and slant logos. The word Griswold is in italics in the slant logo and the letters are straight up and down in the block logo. Then there were some that said ERIE below the logo and some said ERIE PA USA, some have heat rings and some don't'.
Just to show the difference the book price on a newer small logo #3 is $5-$15 and the slant logo without a heat ring is $60.00 so there is a huge price difference even for pieces of the same size.
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05 13 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyin-lowe wrote:
Again that depends. I am guessing it is not a #2. But if it is go back and get it. The are worth anywhere from $300 -$1500 depending on which one.
Now as for your description. Griswold had large and small logos with the cross. The small logo's are newer and not worth as much.The entire logo with writing is not much larger then a 50cent piece or a silver dollar.

Then the large logo's had what are called block logos and slant logos. The word Griswold is in italics in the slant logo and the letters are straight up and down in the block logo. Then there were some that said ERIE below the logo and some said ERIE PA USA, some have heat rings and some don't'.
Just to show the difference the book price on a newer small logo #3 is $5-$15 and the slant logo without a heat ring is $60.00 so there is a huge price difference even for pieces of the same size.

haha, I'm seeing that now. I had to work tonight and was doing some research here on the computer. I had no idea there were so many variations in the logos. I think I'm gonna just go back and get it in the morning. what the hell, if nothing else, its a good piece and they are not made anymore. This CI stuff has really peaked my interest, and I really enjoy looking through all the stuff at the markets anyways. Thanks for your help in a BIG way!!!!!

Modified ECB
UDS
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06 13 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a Google search for the Griswold and Wagner Society they have a web site with tons of information. There is a very active forum as well. Part of it is for the paying members but there is also a free side that is full of information. If nothing else jump on there and read up on a couple cleaning methods. To many people get a piece of CI and ruin it trying to get it cleaned. Power tools, paints, camp fires, all can destroy a piece.
S Roche

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08 13 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyin low, I have a couple that say ERIE that were purchased somewhere around 1900 by my grandmother. They seem to be smoother, thinner and have a bell like ring. Were DO's ever made with the ERIE markings?
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09 13 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they were.
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11 13 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those ERIE's are nice skillets and very collectible. I have bought and sold several of them over the last couple years. I rememeber a #6, a couple #10's and a couple #11's. They always bring $150.00 or more depending on condition. I have 4 skillets that were handed down to me from my grandparents and would not sell them so if you are like me it doesn't matter what those are worth, they are staying in the kitchen.

Also you may or may not know but ERIE later became Griswold. They were made in Eire PA and are considered the best of the best in cast iron cookware.
famous david

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23 13 10:10 am    Post subject: south pittsburg tennessee Reply with quote

We stopped by the lodge foundry in south pittsburg tn. they have a 2nds store,,, you need to go there,good prices and good people. Famous David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: