FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vanilla Bourbon Bacon and other recipes for bacon ... Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26 12 9:23 am    Post subject: Vanilla Bourbon Bacon and other recipes for bacon ... Update Reply with quote

So I wanted to get some opinions/feedback from the gang here. I just finished yet another batch of honey and maple bacon (amazing! thanks again Harry) and I was thinking of starting another batch, I can't keep up with demand. So, here's where feedback would help ... First, i have been making vanilla sugar (2 fresh vanilla beans, sliced in half and pulp scraped into a container with the beans and about 6 cups of sugar, mix and leave for a few weeks) so I was thinking of using that to make vanilla bourbon bacon. I figure i would use Harry's cure scale but replace the honey/maple with vanilla sugar and maybe a half cup of bourbon (per 5lbs). Any opinions? Harry? Bueler? Bueler?

Next I was thinking of a coffee cured bacon, using brown sugar and fresh ground espresso beans. Any thoughts?

Also, while we're at it, let's start a thread here for tried and tested recipes for bacon that is different from the usual stuff.

Vanilla Bourbon Bacon (per 5lbs):

1 tsp Curing Salt (pink salt for you Americans, not pink for us)
3.75 tbsp Salt
3.75 tbsp Sugar
2 tbsp Roughly cracked black pepper
Rub this well into the meat then add to a large freezer bag, combined with a cup of vanilla bourbon syrup (see update below for recipe) Cure as you would for 7-10 days, turning and rubbing once a day to ensure proper distribution of the cure. Cold smoke with something mild like sugar maple for as long as you like (7-8 hours is good for me).

Sound any good?

Last edited by ComradeQ on Wed Oct 24 12 12:35 am; edited 2 times in total
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26 12 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep you guys interested, some of my bacon packaged, and with some labels I printed so I can keep track. A little tip: I placed all my bacon on some high gloss, food grade paper card stock I bought from a baking supply store (used for candy liners). Makes it look professional.

ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24 12 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Finally got round to making the vanilla bourbon bacon. This is for 5lbs of pork belly:

1. 1.5 cups bourbon - Lit it on fire in a big pan and burned it until most of the alcohol had burned away and the flames extinguished.
2. Added a cup of vanilla sugar (several cups of white sugar with at least two fresh vanilla beans - I throw all my "used" beans in as well, never wasting - scraped in and left to sit for a few weeks to infuse the flavour) and a good splash of maple syrup.
3. Reduced until thick and syrupy and quite possibly the best tasting syrup I have ever had! Poured out to cool, had slightly over a cups worth.
4. Once cool I will make my bacon cure (see ratios above) and add one cup of this syrup for every 5lbs of pork belly.

I will update you all with the results of my bacon.

Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04 12 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting combination IMO,

I could see that being a prime candidate for chocolate covered bacon if you feel like playing with that,
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04 12 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Very interesting combination IMO,

I could see that being a prime candidate for chocolate covered bacon if you feel like playing with that,

I smoked it this week Harry, wow, all I can say is this flavour combination is amazing! It's not overly sweet and it has a great subtle bourbon flavour with just a hint of the vanilla. It was more an experiment than anything else but this could easily be one of my new favourites! Im not home right now so Im just a liar until I post more pics so you'll have to trust me for now. I do have pics and I will upload in the next day or two. The surprising thing is just how versatile it is, can be used for regular breakfast bacon or in a sweet dish, chocolate covered like you suggested or, as I was thinking when I tried it, maple bourbon ice cream with candied vanilla bourbon bacon!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 12 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might need to try that, thanks for sharing.

I am working on a "Black Forest" bacon.

Curing with juniper berries, a coat of molasses right out of the smoker, and hung for a day or two to lose some moisture.
I want to mimic the flavor of a true black forest ham that gets smoked with juniper wood, but I do not want to burn jumiper in my pit.
I expect it to have a hint of Gin'ish flavor due to the juniper berries.
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 12 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
I might need to try that, thanks for sharing.

I am working on a "Black Forest" bacon.

Curing with juniper berries, a coat of molasses right out of the smoker, and hung for a day or two to lose some moisture.
I want to mimic the flavor of a true black forest ham that gets smoked with juniper wood, but I do not want to burn jumiper in my pit.
I expect it to have a hint of Gin'ish flavor due to the juniper berries.

Let me know how it works out, I've been trying to come up with a good black forest style bacon too. Traditionally they also use cows blood to darken the surface, I think molasses would be an interesting way to achieve that effect. What would you use to smoke it with? I spoke to someone who suggested adding juniper berries with the wood while smoking, not sure if that would work. Im very interested in your results.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 12 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am not going to waste juniper berries in a fire, nor do I want an coniferous wood products burning in my pit.

I am doing a 'Country Style" bacon right now. I basically take a Boston-Butt, bone it out and trim to get an even slab on the fat side, use the rest for sausage, then cure, smoke the same as belly bacon.

I did a batch of country style a few year back that look exactly like belly bacon, But at half the cost!

There are some pictures someplace on the forum of that batch. To give you an idea of how old they, they were taken with my Motorola Razr phone! now we are rocking out with a 64GB I-5 with an 8MP camera with flash and HDR.
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11 12 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of the bacon after slicing and before packaging.

Sliced up about a third of it, more to go.

The candy liner paper that I use to lay the bacon on. It is a firm cardstock and does not absorb any grease and is food grade and safe. Great idea if you want to package professional looking bacon.

After packaging. I ended up with three times this much, lots of bacon! Still needs labels.

So no one can say I'm a liar, lol! Anyone who wants.to try this recipe I HIGHLY recommend it. Don't let the vanilla part put you off, this bacon will blow your socks off! Everyone who has tried it is now saying this is the best bacon they have ever had, and they have now moved this up past Harry's honey bacon Wink (ha, sorry Harry just had to slip my own bacon above yours, lol, it's only half true - yours is still one of the best)
MGeslock
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18 13 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComradeQ
What temp did you smoke at?
What temp did you smoke to?

This is my winter project!!
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19 13 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGeslock wrote:
ComradeQ
What temp did you smoke at?
What temp did you smoke to?

This is my winter project!!

I cold smoke mine at below 100f so it is not cooked. Having never hot smoked perhaps someone who has can chime in. If you can I recommend cold smoking, it is IMHO a vastly superior product
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22 13 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeing this threads recent revival and it being "that time of year" I think I'll play too.

How do you guys feel about a liquid or wet cured bacon?? Ever done it? results??

I know its not traditional, but I believe its CB who does with or has done it with his back bacon before.

Modified ECB
UDS
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23 13 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rinngrizz wrote:
seeing this threads recent revival and it being "that time of year" I think I'll play too.

How do you guys feel about a liquid or wet cured bacon?? Ever done it? results??

I know its not traditional, but I believe its CB who does with or has done it with his back bacon before.

I just see wet curing as more of a hassle, and excessive use of ingredients, Most commercial makers of bacon use a wet cure injected and a sodium erythorbate additive so they do not need to wait for the cure to work. This increases the weight of the bacon, and IMO provides a lower quality product.

Then many do not actually smoke their bacon, they use liquid smoke as a spray, or they may vaporize liquid smoke in an enclosure to add flavor.

Another reason I dry-cure is less shrinkage, more concentrated flavor, and again less mess and hassle.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just stating why I dry-cure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: