FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pigs Worst Nightmare Apple Rub
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubbysbbq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12 10 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried. This rub yestersay. Diffrence is I added some of my pitmaker spices to it . I also did the trigg method and added my own sauce. I know its a long process but believe it or notthe apple rub went great with everything. All the flavors came out great. So great in fact I am using it for comp this year.thanks for the recepie.
Forkin Pork
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25 10 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was going to try the full recipe today, but decided since I still had a little bit of my own stuff left, I would just try drying out the apple slices and add it to my own stuff.
Apple drying came out great, when they cooled they were nice and crispy so I ground them up in my spice grinder and added the apple to my left over stuff. About a 50 - 50 ratio.
I have to say the apple powder adds a nice touch, I like it!
Gonna make some St louie's tomorrow, I'll keep you posted.
Oh and next time I'm gonna make the complete recipe.
Thanks.

Ceritfied KCBS Judge
Weber Silver. ECB, UDS
Up Graded Backwoods Party w/GURU
2011 Lang 84 Deluxe
CliffC
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18 10 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Pigs Worst Nightmare Apple Rub Reply with quote

Portergolf wrote:
Here is an apple rub that is good on ribs and chicken.

Pigs Worst Nightmare AppleRub

6 Tbsp Ground Dried apple
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
3 Tbsp Coarse Salt
1 Tsp Sweet Paprika
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
Tsp Ground Black Pepper

I made some of this and cooked a pork roast with it this past weekend and I must say it is an outstanding pork rub. I changed the recipe slightly to suit our tastes, but kept the ingredient ratios close to the original. I bought a small bag of dried Granny Smiths at the grocery, about 2.6 oz, this made about 10 TBS of apple dust/crumbs. I don't have a spice grinder so I beat the apples and then ran them thru the small electric chopper. Then I added 5TBS brown sugar, 5 TBS turbinado sugar, 1 TBS Kosher salt, 2 tsp paprika, 2 tsp ground cinnamon and 1 tsp black pepper.

The roast rubbed-

Ready to come off-

Delicious meat and bark-

This is an excellent pork rub IMHO. Great job Very Happy
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27 10 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get apple chips to dry to save my life. I even bought dried apples and they seemed moist. Are you guys using apples that are still slightly moist or how are you getting them completely dry?
Scoones

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07 10 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great rub recipe.
I use a potato peeler to get the apples super thin. 4-5 hours in the dehydrator me nice crisp apple chips that grind to a nice power in the food processor.
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07 10 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about packets of apple cider? Do you think that would substitute?
tacklebox
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07 10 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soapm wrote:
I can't get apple chips to dry to save my life. I even bought dried apples and they seemed moist. Are you guys using apples that are still slightly moist or how are you getting them completely dry?

A long time in the dehydrator. Cut them thin to cut down drying time.
Twisted Evil Pompous Ass Bigoted LIAR #69 Twisted Evil
babaoriley7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10 10 10:58 pm    Post subject: Trader Joes Reply with quote

If you have a Trader Joes nearby, they sell freeze dried apple clusters. Throw them in a coffee grinder and you'll have some nice apple powder in no time.

(note, they fried my kitchenaid mini chopper. the sugars in these clusters cause them to be slightly sticky and my motor doesn't have the same pep that it did before after the blades got stuck on some sticky chunks. I think a coffee grinder would do better job.)
ROMattox95

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15 10 10:29 am    Post subject: Sound Great Reply with quote

This sounds like a great rub. Gonna have to try this. Have used apples different ways when smoking, but never as a rub. Thanks for the recipe.
206Frosty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12 11 7:25 pm    Post subject: Try these. I will when I try this recipe Reply with quote

I was thinking about this while driving and these popped into my head. They are freeze dried and crispy. There two Apple verities. Fuji Apple Fruit Crisps and Apple & Cinnamon Fruit Crisps. The sell them online here. Look in the Fruit Crips section http://www.brothersallnatural.com

Here is their store finder.
http://www.brothersallnatural.com/pages/Store-Finder.html

Product Description

Fresh fruit is not always available for you and your family to eat. Whether people are at work, in the car or traveling, they need to find a new alternative to get their daily fruits. Brothers-All-Natural Fruit Crisps are the 100% freeze-dried fruit snack you want to be eating to achieve that goal.

We start with the most luscious fruits from the greatest growing regions in the world and bring them to our state-of-the-art freeze drying facility. At our facilities, we gently remove over 95% of the water from the fruit, which transforms the fruit into a light, flavorful, crisp fruit snack.

Unlike other dried fruits, Brothers-All-Natural Fruit Crisps retain all of the nutrients of the fresh fruit with absolutely no added sugar, preservatives or artificial coloring. Our uniquely designed bags keep Brothers-All-Natural Fruit Crisps fresh for up to 1 year.

Brothers-All-Natural Fruit Crisps are peanut/tree nut free, gluten free, soy free, dairy free, vegan and OU kosher certified.

A delicious, healthy, and convenient fruit snack - The one Mother Nature would eat!

Each bag contains approximately 1½ fuji apples!
Bunqui
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 11 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking... instead of working...How about drying the apple leavings from running the apples through a juicer? I bet that would dry out well in the oven or dehydrator. I have a Benville Ikon juicer and it works great extracting most all of the liquid. I bet that would work Very Happy

Weber Smokey Joe
LIAR#38
Brian Briggs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03 12 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried it yet but here is a site for apple powder

http://www.lepicerie.com/catalog/product_706000_Dehydrated_Apple_Powder.html
Brian Briggs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12 12 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, tried the powder and it is great. So is this rub
weihl165

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20 12 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna try this rub this weekend on some BB ribs, what would you suggest for a sauce? I was thinking apple cities sauce. Thanks
X-Roughneck
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22 12 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Portergolf,if you're still around! I used your rub and Roxy's rib glaze in a rib cook-off Sunday (8/19/12 and gotta very nice 3' tall,third place trophy along with some cash.I used apple and cherry wood mix for heat.Thanks again for this amazing apple rub,it rocks.

BTW....For peeps looking for ALREADY crunchy apple chips,look for "Seneca" brand apple chips.They come in red delicious,original and Granny Smith.I used Granny Smith.These are truely apple chips,NOT fake apple flavored corn chips.

The wife had a great idea,she put them in a ziplock bag and ran the rolling pin over them several times. PERFECT!!!!!
stumpnc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12 12 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a bag of dried apple slices at the natural food store 1 bag of fuji and 1 bag of granny smith they ground up to a real fine dry powder in the food processor added the other ingredients and put it all into an old lowreys salt shaker bottle,The dry Rub tastes great Details on the ribs later.
Update Ribs were excellent!! This rub is a keeper.
Portergolf
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10 13 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Roughneck wrote:
Thanks Portergolf,if you're still around! I used your rub and Roxy's rib glaze in a rib cook-off Sunday (8/19/12 and gotta very nice 3' tall,third place trophy along with some cash.I used apple and cherry wood mix for heat.Thanks again for this amazing apple rub,it rocks.

BTW....For peeps looking for ALREADY crunchy apple chips,look for "Seneca" brand apple chips.They come in red delicious,original and Granny Smith.I used Granny Smith.These are truely apple chips,NOT fake apple flavored corn chips.

The wife had a great idea,she put them in a ziplock bag and ran the rolling pin over them several times. PERFECT!!!!!

I know I'm a little late but. Congrats on the 3rd place finish! Glad you like the rub!
TimPlu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11 13 11:58 pm    Post subject: great rub! Reply with quote

I have used this rub twice now and I love it. My friends and I do a yearly Rib-Off, and I used this rub for our cook off on Saturday. I ended up taking home first place and a sweet little trophy with a pig on top, not to mention bragging rights for the next year. I know the rub had a lot to do with it too. I marindaded the ribs in apple juice and lemon juice for a couple hours before putting the rub on. Then it was off to the smoker with hickory chips and a root beer bbq sauce I made. They came out great. Sorry, but I don't have pics to share.

As for making the rub, it's pretty easy. I took a mandolin to slice the apples and just popped them in the over for a few hours, let them sit overnight, and then put them in a coffee grinder to get them to how I wanted. I love the taste of it and how the apple comes through, but isn't overpowering and not overly sweet. It's hard to see me using a different rub whenever I do ribs going forward.

Thanks for posting this recipe Portergolf, it's great!
Portergolf
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18 13 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: great rub! Reply with quote

TimPlu wrote:
I have used this rub twice now and I love it. My friends and I do a yearly Rib-Off, and I used this rub for our cook off on Saturday. I ended up taking home first place and a sweet little trophy with a pig on top, not to mention bragging rights for the next year. I know the rub had a lot to do with it too. I marindaded the ribs in apple juice and lemon juice for a couple hours before putting the rub on. Then it was off to the smoker with hickory chips and a root beer bbq sauce I made. They came out great. Sorry, but I don't have pics to share.

As for making the rub, it's pretty easy. I took a mandolin to slice the apples and just popped them in the over for a few hours, let them sit overnight, and then put them in a coffee grinder to get them to how I wanted. I love the taste of it and how the apple comes through, but isn't overpowering and not overly sweet. It's hard to see me using a different rub whenever I do ribs going forward.

Thanks for posting this recipe Portergolf, it's great!

Awesome! I know it's late but congrats on winning your Rib Off and bragging rights for the year!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: