FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making vinegar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sr106
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30 08 2:01 am    Post subject: Making vinegar Reply with quote

The bottle of red wine vinegar (Colavita brand) could not have been more than 6-8 months old, and I know I've kept vinegar longer than that. I was going to use it in some salad dressing and I noticed funky looking white swirls in it as well as thin dark red strands. When I tried pouring some, part of the white swirl came out like as a nasty mucousy substance.
What the hell is that?
Iíve bought red wine vinegar before and this never happened. Maybe I should try and post a picture since the bottle is still sitting on my kitchen counter.
Moonshiner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04 08 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a jar of stuff a bit like you describe on a shelf in my Grandparents cellar. It was simi-transparent like a jellyfish and seemed to be in layers. I was told it was "vinegar mothers." The mothers were put in apple cider to turn it to vinegar. They were farmers and made everything themselves. It was a looong time ago. If I would of been older I probably would of questioned a little more about it but back then if you ask Grandpap a question and got an answer that was the end of it. You might try to let it sit without disturbing it and see what happens. Maybe you can start a vinegar making business........ Very Happy
Pkerchef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28 08 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what i used to be told also as a child by my granny vinegar is the only thing that makes it's mother i think is what she used to say. She would still use the vinegar though. Pkerchef
afreetrapper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30 09 12:26 am    Post subject: Floaters in the vinegar Reply with quote

You are right the stuff floating in your vinegar is called mother. Mother feeds on alcohol. You can put that mother in wine or anything with alcohol in it the mother will feed on the alcohol and in time you will have vinegar.
Hugh_Jass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21 10 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Floaters in the vinegar Reply with quote

afreetrapper wrote:
You are right the stuff floating in your vinegar is called mother. Mother feeds on alcohol. You can put that mother in wine or anything with alcohol in it the mother will feed on the alcohol and in time you will have vinegar.

Though I've never experienced it personally, I've read of people's home brewed beer turning to vinegar. The introduction of acetobacter to fermented beer will cause it to sour and eventually turn to vinegar. The home brew is usually inoculated with acetobacter via the fruit fly.

Just guessing here, Pkerchef, but I'd bet the mother would be akin to a sour dough starter. ( hope I'm not overstating the obvious Very Happy )
mike333h

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15 13 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get rid of it, just filter the vinegar though a couple of coffee filters. A lot of restaurants do this that store large amounts of vinegar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: