FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold smoke or not

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjm1027

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08 13 4:02 am    Post subject: Cold smoke or not Reply with quote

Hi I am new to smoking. Would like to know if I am on the right track with cold smoking.
I have a Weber Summit 4 Burner with rotisserie and rotisserie burner. This propane grill has a smoke box and it's own smaller burner. For a test I smoked 2 pieces of cheese using apple wood. I soaked the wood for 10 minutes, filled the smoker box and kept it on for an hour, just to see what temperature I could keep the grill at. My goal was to keep it 100 degrees or lower. I could only keep it between 120 and 123 degrees. I am getting good smoke and color on the cheese. No melting has occurred but I was wondering if these temperatures are good enough to smoke fish and cheese. Or is this considered cold smoking?

Thanks
Steve
famous david

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14 13 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. out there. I use a smoke tube when I cold smoke. You can buy them at kck.com I made my own out of 2x2 .125 sq. tube. I drilled 400, .25 holes in it, capped the bottom, made a swivel cap for it, fill it with treager pellets, lite with propane torch, put it in the bottom of my offset smoker, cheese,, eggs,, or.... on top. no heat,, no problems just smoke. Alder pellets work best on most foods David...
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15 13 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually cold smoking is defined as below 100 or 90. Essentially, you want to smoke something without cooking it or heating it to cause spoilage, etc. You do not want to HOLD food in the danger zone temp for too long as this is when bacterial grows.(39 to 140 °F)

What was in internal temp of the cheese?
famous david

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15 13 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with my smoke tube there is almost no heat. I cold smoke when it is cool 32-34 F. Inside of my smoker is same as outside. internal temp DNA. Just make sure you don't freeze your food in the smoker. Smoked boiled eggs, make awesome deviled eggs,, add bacon and jalapenos to your recipe. famous david
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: