FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Praline and Pepper Beef Short Ribs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11 07 11:52 am    Post subject: Praline and Pepper Beef Short Ribs Reply with quote

Praline and Pepper Beef Short Ribs

2 Tbsp Praline mix
2 Tbsp Roasted Garlic and Pepper
2 Tbsp Sweet Onion and Pepper
1 Tspn 5 Spice
4 Tbspn Turbinado Sugar

Beef short ribs are one of my favorites. This recipe will introduce to what is called a dry rub. It is called a dry rub because no BBQ sauce will go it during or after the cooking process. I am also using Turbinado sugar instead of brown or white sugar because Turbinado does not burn as fast as the other two. Ribs of any kind have a tendency to burn and this is mainly due to the sugar content of the sauce or rub.

The selection of Praline, Garlic, Bell peppers and 5 Spice give these ribs a sweet, nutty, and spicy flavor layers that complement the robust flavor of the beef.

Mix all the dry rub items in a bowl and set to the side. Take you mustard and liberally apply the mustard completely over the ribs. I am using a coarse brown mustard with horseradish because I like the “pop” larger spaces make when I BBQ. The mustard taste disappears as it cooks in the smoker and actually makes a very nice crust that acts like glue for the spaces and locks in moisture.

Once the ribs are slathered up, apply the rub and smooth the rub completely over the ribs as well.

Place the ribs in a preheated smoker (250 degrees) and cook for approximately 4 hours or until the ribs reach 145 degrees to 165 degrees (depending on how you like them.) Lay the ribs parallel to the cooking chamber opening. Most cookers have hot and cold ends when they cook. By laying the ribs in-line with the opening, you lessen the chance of having a well done rib on one end and undercooked on the opposite end.

When the ribs are done, they will have a slightly springiness to their surface when poked.

As you can see, the Turbinado sugar did not burn as bad other types of sugar.

The ribs are moist, and a predominate pink smokering has penetrated the meat that tells everyone that these ribs were slow smoked.

mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13 07 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alien, I've never seen Praline powder. I've had the Mexican candy and pecan pie. Does it taste like that, only concentrated? It sounds great. I hope I can find it up here. I guess I can have my mom mail me some from Ruidoso, like she does pistacios and chili powder.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13 07 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does. Almost like pecan candy in a blender!
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13 07 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I gotta get me some of that. For some reason I keep thinking white pepper with it. I'll have to try it.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13 07 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this, http://www.brucefoods.com/mystOre/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct=123 You can buy it cheaper at Big Lots.
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13 07 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I like the honey part. We just got a Big Lots up here. I'll go check it out. Thanks.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14 07 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have never been to a Big Lots store, let me warn you.... their prices are addictive.
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14 07 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, I've been to them in TX. They will have some competition up here from Job Lot and Building 19, both are close out chains. I think Big Lots is a subsidiary of WalFart and handles all their overstocks.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14 07 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I understand what you ment about the honey. Smile I got my shaker in the kit box. Appaerntly you can not buy it by itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: