FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanksgiving Turkey... skin on or off???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 08 12:17 am    Post subject: Thanksgiving Turkey... skin on or off??? Reply with quote

I really cant remember what I did last year for Thanksgiving & Christmas..

I do remember that I did Turkeys. I have been doing chickens with the skin removed, and they turn out fine. I suspect.. but am not sure if I took the turkey skin off.

Should I, or shouldn't I smoke the turkey de-skinned. Or should I de-skin halfway through the burn?? Any thoughts, why-fors and whatnot??

What I do know is that I will marinade it with a homemade Italian Dressing like substance. I will mix Balsamic Vineger & Olive oil, with some fresh garlic, and the same rub I intend to use... then let the spices infuse with the oil & vinegar.

I am planning to use Traegers "Veggie Shake". I have run some tests and determined that would be the best rub.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 08 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to leave skin on till it gets to the table, then everyone can make their own choice.

So that's what I do, which way do you normally cook chicken when you cook it skin off, as you'd probably do as well with turkey done in a similar fashion if that's the way you like it?

I still work here!
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 08 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skin on wrap in cheese cloth cover in butter when temp gets to 130 140
take off cheese cloth it will come out golden brown and yummy good luck enjoy
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
uhmgood
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10 11 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% of the time i leave the skin on , you can always take it off later for those that don't like the skin . i cook on a MES 30 and unfortunately the skin doesn't get crispy
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10 11 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compound butter under the skin and smoked at 350. Leave it on. People can take if off on their plates if they desire.

I've never seen anyone NOT eat their turkey skin on Thanksgiving or Cristmas. I guess it's different being from the South.
EagleKeeper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18 11 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been smoking Turkey for the last 5 year on thanksgiving and I alway leave the skin on. I like to get under the skin with butter and basic rub. Everyone in the family eats the skin. 2 years ago we smoked a turkey and my wifes brother-in-law fried one. The smoked was gone before anyone touched the fried. hahaha
smokin-the-meat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21 13 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...keep the skin on, put some rub and a couple sticks of butter up under the skin on the breast. About every hour or so i basted mine with butter and for the last hour i covered the breast in aluminum foil. Turned out great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: