FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar 1 cup salt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28 13 7:05 am    Post subject: 1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar 1 cup salt Reply with quote

And * tablespoons cure on 8 lb pork loin. Sitting in plastic wrap and all that stuff for 5 days. Should I cook until 145 and move on? Any ideas?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29 13 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar 1 cup salt Reply with quote

ClayBBQ wrote:
And * tablespoons cure on 8 lb pork loin. Sitting in plastic wrap and all that stuff for 5 days. Should I cook until 145 and move on? Any ideas?

Wait, How many Tablespoons? and of what cure formulation??

8 pounds of meat should only get 11.2 grams of cure #1
( or, A bit over 1.5 teaspoons of cure)

Recheck your formulation, because that sounds way off to me
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29 13 7:36 pm    Post subject: 4 tablespoons of Tenderquick Reply with quote

It feel pretty solid in the fridge. I unwrapped it and put some syrup on it and wrapped it back up again. I hate using cure.
Can it be saved?
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29 13 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Harry, that is 2 cups sugar and 1 cup salt with how many tbsp of cure? Cure #1? Personally those amounts are far to large for an 8lb loin, you need to reduce the sugar and salt dramatically! And like Harry says, the cure level is an unknown from what you posted ... can you clarify what cure and the amount used? At those levels I think you will end up with something inedible and depending on how much cure, possibly unsafe. There are many good tried and trusted recipes on this site for curing bacon (belly or loin or even buckboard with butts) and you should browse through and get an idea of the levels of salt and sugar and cure used in those. Too much cure can be potentially dangerous and while you may possibly be able to eat it without any problems, the potential for increased levels of nitrosamines can have long term health effects as they are known carcinogens.
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29 13 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 tablespoons of Tenderquick Reply with quote

ClayBBQ wrote:
It feel pretty solid in the fridge. I unwrapped it and put some syrup on it and wrapped it back up again. I hate using cure.
Can it be saved?

Sorry I just realized you said 4 tbsp tenderquick. I have never used it before but my understanding is that tenderquick is made up of sodium nitrIte and sodium nitrAte and also contains sugar and salt. From what I know it is made to be used as the salt and cure in one. The ratio I have heard is 1tbsp tenderquick and 1tsp sugar per lb of solid meat. So that would be 8tbsp tenderquick and 8 tsp sugar. Combine that with your spices (black pepper, garlic powder work well for loins) and add maybe half a cup of syrup or honey if you wanted. The amounts you used are very high and I doubt it will be salvageable.
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03 13 4:52 am    Post subject: Came out pretty good! Reply with quote

I soaked the meat in water and a little vinegar refreshing the liquid every hour. Did that about 5 times did a fry test. It was so good my wife even liked it and she hates salt more that anything.
Put it in fridge over night smoked it to about 145, let it rest and sliced it thin put about 6 pieces per baggy and ready to go!
I will alter future recipes, I think I was thinking about the gravlox recipe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: