FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wood burning stove question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19 13 7:40 am    Post subject: Wood burning stove question. Reply with quote

I am getting ready to put a wood burning stove in my new pole barn. It is an Ember Hearth stove with a blower. It has 8 inch pipe that will be coming out the top straight up through my roof. I had a wood stove in my old barn but I only burnt a couple loads of wood a year.
My question is about the damper that came with this stove. It is used but the previous owner put in a cast iron round damper in the pipe right were it comes out of the stove. A local Amish guy who builds and installs chimneys said he puts them on all his stoves. He said though that he uses them and mostly keeps them closed to keep wind from blowing smoke back into the room. Many web sites say they are not needed with air tight stoves that have vents. Some say they are used to help keep heat in the pipe and stove and keep it from going up and out.
Any of you guys have experience with wood stoves and these dampers? Do you like/recommend them. A couple sites said even having one in the pipe wide open will still cause a slight restriction. I have read nothing that matches the local Amish guy stating they help keep the wind from blowing down into your pipe on a windy day.
whitey
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21 13 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use the damper on my wood stove. I close down the air intake and thats it. I have been heating my house for over 20 years with this stove and love wood heat.
Chicken Throwdown Champ..2010..
Almost the Biggest Liar on the "Ring"
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21 13 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am going to go ahead and install the damper and if I need it or can use it I will have it, if not I can't see it hurting anything being in there and being wide open all the time.
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23 13 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyin-lowe wrote:
I think I am going to go ahead and install the damper and if I need it or can use it I will have it, if not I can't see it hurting anything being in there and being wide open all the time.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23 13 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep
Tonight I think we are going to get the hole cut in the roof and get the thing installed. I had to grind rust off and repaint this stove, as I bought it used and it was in rough shape. I am curious to see how that stove paint I bought holds up. I am hoping to get it cured and burn it a few times before a party we are having this Saturday, I don't want to stink everyone out.
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25 13 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the stove in last night and burnt it for the first time. So far so good. It seems to be drawing really good, zero smoke at all inside the garage. My old stove would usually smoke when I first lit it. And when it was cold there would be some smoke seeping out the joints in the pipe. I was surprised that since I had a fresh paint job on the stove that it did not smoke bad or stink. I followed paint specs and lit a small fire and warmed it up slowly. I got it to the point that the chimney temp showed 450 degrees and left it there for about an hour. Then I let it burn out. It never did put off any bad smell. I lit it this morning for just a couple hours but did not get it real hot. I am going to get it good and hot tomorrow one more time before the party we are having on Saturday.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27 13 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wood burning stove question. Reply with quote

flyin-lowe wrote:
I am getting ready to put a wood burning stove in my new pole barn. It is an Ember Hearth stove with a blower. It has 8 inch pipe that will be coming out the top straight up through my roof. I had a wood stove in my old barn but I only burnt a couple loads of wood a year.
My question is about the damper that came with this stove. It is used but the previous owner put in a cast iron round damper in the pipe right were it comes out of the stove. A local Amish guy who builds and installs chimneys said he puts them on all his stoves. He said though that he uses them and mostly keeps them closed to keep wind from blowing smoke back into the room. Many web sites say they are not needed with air tight stoves that have vents. Some say they are used to help keep heat in the pipe and stove and keep it from going up and out.
Any of you guys have experience with wood stoves and these dampers? Do you like/recommend them. A couple sites said even having one in the pipe wide open will still cause a slight restriction. I have read nothing that matches the local Amish guy stating they help keep the wind from blowing down into your pipe on a windy day.

A damper is not the device to prevent downdraft. Although a damper may prevent downdraft when the stove IS NOT BEING FIRED, A draft diverter can easily be installed inline with an existing or new chimney pipe installation to control some ill effects of downward winds. Hope This Helps.

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Beertooth
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28 13 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get a good fire established, I close my damper down,
not completely closed, & notice a pretty significant boost in
the heat that the stove is putting off.

This is what I pulled off of the internets:

Quote:
Wood stove dampers have been around since the first wood stove was placed indoors. The purpose of this cast iron metal disc is to retain heat that may escape up the flue or chimney. The metal disc fits inside the stovepipe that exits from the wood stove. Most dampers are placed closely to the wood stove, generally in the first 12 to 18 inches from the stove and before the pipe exits into the masonry chimney. This allows the heat to be retained and dissipate in the area the wood stove is heating. By following a basic set of rules, you can operate the damper efficiently and safely.

18.5" WSM (Stoked)
22.5" WSM
85 Gallon UDS
Weber Smokey Joe/Mini WSM
Cast Iron Cookware
24" Disc Cooker
Masterbuilt 40" Electric
Char-Griller Akorn
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29 13 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to have to experiment with it and see how it does. I can see how the damper would slow some of the heat from escaping up the chimney but with the damper closed I assume the fire is not going to be burning as good since it is choked down. I used the stove this past Saturday for several hours and it heated pretty good. I did not mess with the damper any though.
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29 13 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why am I picturing the Old Man (Darren McGavin) in A Christmas Story covered in soot from the basement while mom (Melinda Dillon) is playing with the damper?
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30 13 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because you know me a little better then most on here. LOL
If my wife had anything to do with this project I am sure something like that could have happened.
hookncook

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15 13 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my damper in about 18"-24" above my stove. The reason I have it is because it keeps heat from leaving my stove and creating a radiant heat off of the stove pipe. I close it about 2/3 of the way and it helps keep that heat just a little while longer before it heads on up the chimney.
Q-in
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15 13 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heated with wood for almost 30 years,and most in the area heat with wood.I have never seen a wood stove in use without a dampener.Nothing to do with back-draft.about holding the heat,
JM2C
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16 13 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holding heat also means you are starving the fire of oxygen and slowing the burn time down....if you have a good fire...close the damper and it slows heat loss but also starves the fire slowing the burn to last longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: