FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused with cure ratio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TBCMarkus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23 13 11:50 am    Post subject: Confused with cure ratio Reply with quote

Hi.

I have been making bacon and ham for a few years now with decent results. Always wanting to do better I have been reading the forums today trying to dial in my methods as it is that time of year again. I am in the process of doing 5 hams and 7 bacon sides.

For my cure I have injected and then immersed my hams and bacon in salt/cure/sugar/water brine. I use Prauge Powder #1 and smoke the meats at 250-275 until at temp. The results are usually decent but sometimes the hams have white areas where the cure apparently has not reached. (This was a combination of methods derived from personal interviews, reading and sources I can't recall now)

So after reading several topics what I am wondering if I am not using enough cure for a brine. On the package the ratio is 1oz per 25lbs of meat. Most of my hams (These are fresh hams from hogs I just butchered) are in the 20-25lb range. I make 2 gal of brine which includes 1lb salt, 1/2 lb brown sugar and 1oz cure. 2 gal in a clean 5 gal bucket is enough to submerge the ham. From some of the reading I have done I am wondering if the amount of cure I am using is not enough for a brine.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24 13 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unable to help with brine ratios, since I have zero experience.

But, from your description, it seems as though you are not pumping the meat thouroughly enough to get everywhere.

I know commercial operation will do "Vein Pumping" where they use the veins in the ham to disperse the cure evenly.

your "1oz for 25 pounds of meat" is correct for a ground meat where the cure is mixed into the ground meat, but I do not think it is correct for a brine pump/soak situation.

I avoid brines due to the high volume of cure needed to get the correct ratio, and the waste involved.
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24 13 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of cure is definitely low. I think the amount on the package is for dry curing or adding to ground mixes. I could calculate ratios for you but not knowing weights makes it pointless.

Marianski offers the following ratio for brine:

Water = 1 gallon
Salt = 1.6lb
Cure #1 = 4.2 oz
sugar = 1.5 oz

It may seem high but remember, at 4% pickup a 5lb ham should absorb 79 ppm which is enough. However, if you pump (inject) 10% of the weight of the meat as well as soak in the remaining brine you will end up with 197 ppm, just under the government standard of 200 ppm.

Again, Marianski:

10 percent injection.
If Green weight (raw meat) = 11lb
Percent injection = 10%
0.10x11 lb = 1.1 lb
The weight of the injected ham should then be:
11+1.1 = 12.1lbs

Does this help or just confuse?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: