FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baking sourdough bread in the smoker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17 12 10:43 am    Post subject: Baking sourdough bread in the smoker Reply with quote

I've been spending a lot of time trying to learn to make the best sourdough bread that I can. I've been really happy with what I can do in a conventional oven but I wanted to see if I could apply that to baking in my smoker.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5193/7078755081_cac992138d_c.jpg
Conventional oven baked bread.

Below is my first attempts in the smoker.

New pizza stone placed in the smoker while smoker is heating.

Water tray with lava rock placed below on the first tunning plate after the baffle. I added about a cup of hot water to the pan as each loaf was placed in the oven to produce steam. I also used a spray bottle to spray the walls of the smoker when adding the loaves. Both worked well during the baking!

Building up the fire.

The top of the firebox is a great place to heat water for the steam pan.

First loaf ready to go in.

Half way through the bake, about 18min in. Looking good!

Pulled and cooling.

The bottom was a little darker than I wanted so I moved the cooking stone a little further away from the firebox for the second loaf.

Second loaf almost done.

It took a little more than an hour to get the smoker up to temp. Once there I was able to keep it between 425 to 450 for both loaves feeding more wood every 20 min. or so.

Both loaves cooling.

Bottom of second loaf looked just about right to me.

First loaf's crumb. It hadn't cooled all the way but I had to taste it to see how I did.

So, what was the results?
Well, over all I was happy with the experiment. I proved that I could bake bread in my smoker. On the down side the taste from the wood burning came through more than I liked. By pushing all the tuning plates together to divert smoke away from the bread I think I could reduce the smoke hitting the bread during the cook. The method I use in the conventional oven, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4PHUyRmpPc restricts me to one loaf at a time, I was hoping to get around that. I have room in the smoker for another stone which would allow for at least three loaves at once.
Bottom line, I can bake this way and it does show promise.
zysmith
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18 12 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great. You may want to try a good lump charcoal when you are baking. Less smoke.
jrbergen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22 13 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, I'm impressed. I'm not a baker...I'm more mechanical, but I bake bread for fun, leisure and relaxation. I really enjoy it and 9 of 10 loaves I bake go to the guys in my squadron who don't complain too much.

The way I learned to bake was hot and fast. 500 degree's inside a cast iron dutch oven, take off the top, 450 for another 15 min.

I would never have suspected that a smoker would make such nice bread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Bread Baking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: