FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

warning IMAGESHACK LINKS IN OLD POSTS!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12 11 11:40 pm    Post subject: warning IMAGESHACK LINKS IN OLD POSTS! Reply with quote

Apparently some of the advertiser links on Imageshack have been hacked and there is malware in them.

Apparently the direct links to Imageshack 'should' be OK, so it's not on anything that is visible here on the smoke ring, however if it is a text link or if it's a thumbnail and you want to enlarge the shot, you are at risk.

For those of you sensible to run an antivirus program, you may have it pop if you click on the old links.

I still work here!
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13 11 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
#3 LIAR
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13 11 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SoEzzy!!!

Yeah, I got popped by clicking a thumbnail. As soon as I got to the Imageshack site another browser window popped up with one of those fakey virus scan things. I couldn't shut the window down or the browser for that matter. While it was fighting me it was downloading some malware. Fortunately my virus protection halted it in its tracks. I had to use task manager to shut down Internet Explorer. After the firefight I rebooted and performed a deep scan to make sure nothing snuck through. I think there's several postings here with the ImageShack thumbnails, so be careful.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14 11 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imageshack.... the "smokers of the smokering" build slide shows are on Imageshack.
Figures.... most times the slides don't work anyway. Ive had nothing but trouble with those slides. Evil or Very Mad
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17 11 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
Thanks SoEzzy!!!

Yeah, I got popped by clicking a thumbnail. As soon as I got to the Imageshack site another browser window popped up with one of those fakey virus scan things. I couldn't shut the window down or the browser for that matter. While it was fighting me it was downloading some malware. Fortunately my virus protection halted it in its tracks. I had to use task manager to shut down Internet Explorer. After the firefight I rebooted and performed a deep scan to make sure nothing snuck through. I think there's several postings here with the ImageShack thumbnails, so be careful.

You would think by now that IE and Firefox would have a way of killing an exploited tab without killing the whole app. Something like a "freeze all processes" button. Those websites really piss me off and I refuse to visit one again no matter how good some of the material is.

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26 11 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I added Imageshack.us to my restricted sites. Like a big dummy I clicked on a link and it started that fakey virus check thing again. This time I was able to shut her down before any malware came through. I wasn't thinking... actually clicked the link before I looked at the URL.

SoEzzy, this time it was the smokers or the smokering thread. Even Jeff T mentioned this two posts earlier. Dang!!!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26 11 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of rebuilding all the slide shows, I have all the images and just need the time to do it, probably this weekend then when they are done they will be hosted on an honest site... that hasn't been hacked... so far!

I still work here!
gbque
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16 11 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to throw this on the pile...

I've been fighting those fake virus malware programs for awhile now. What seems to have worked well for me is going to bleepingcomputer.com and downloading the rkill program. Run this and then run the newest version of malwarebytes. Some of these malware programs run pretty deep as I've found out. My windows defender and avast have both let malware in and let it stay. The only way I was able to evict was with the rkill and malwarebytes. Just a FYI if anyone is still having issues.
BRam03

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06 13 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a common problem with web sites, and it can happen to anyone. Yahoo (some recently) was hit with a very similar injection attack. Does the site employ any security measures?

Old Country Pecos with BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 Digital Controller

Weber 22.5 Kettle with GrillGrates
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: