FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baking/Pizza's on the BGE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingofcool
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 10 11 9:13 am    Post subject: Baking/Pizza's on the BGE Reply with quote

I have a BGE and have given pizza and bread a few tries on the egg. I am happy with the results but I'd like to improve.

Dough making method:
*I use this recipe: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html
* I follow the directions to a T and do it in a mixer
*I have tried tossing the pie but usually resort to just streching it out on my fist

Cooking method:
*I stack three bricks around my charcoal ring on the egg and then place the stone on that. Sometimes I have placed the grate on the bricks and then the stone on top of the grate. I think this works better because sometimes the stone will crack.
*My biggest issue is getting the pie from the paddle to the heated stone. I've tried a few things: 1) cornmeal on the paddle - doesn't seem to want to slide off onto the stone even with the cornmeal 2) preheating the stone in the oven, taking the stone out and making the pie on the preheated stone and carrying the stone out to the egg - this seems to work better but I can't get my stone as hot as I want it.

The things I need to work on (some mentioned above):
1. Transferring the pie to the stone. Someone posted the paddle where you can peel the dough using a paper conveyer belt of sorts but that cost $40. I think I eventually will get one but any cheaper ideas?
2. Proper stone placement - even with the elevation the bricks give my stone still cracks. Does anyone use the place setter and stone? How about place setter and parchment paper? It's just everytime that I use parchment paper it burns up and chars the edges of the pizza.

Just trying to here some tips and techniques for baking (pizza and bread) in the egg. Failures and successes welcome.
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 10 11 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought a wooden paddle for 14 bucks work like a charm throw a little cornmeal on it to keep pie from sticking got it at a local resturant supply was looking at those $40 alum one and just wouldn,t pay that
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
Basset Hound
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 10 11 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The peel you are describing is the super peel. www.superpeel.com I bought mine off of Amazon. You could always try to trim the parchment paper. Since it's not exposed to air it shouldn't burn. I find the peel really easy to use and worth every penny. You can make a pretty big pizza on it and I haven't thrown a temper tantrum since getting it over a messed up dough.

I am a bit confused by how you are describing the stacking of the fire bricks. Is the stone below where the grate would normally go? If so, it may be too close to the fire. Looking at the picture from the link below, the place setter seems to have the stone about level with the opening. On the Primo the stone is even higher in the dome, especially on the oval. By having it so low, how are you getting the pie in and out of our egg?

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/98.htm

B.H.

Primo Oval XL
kingofcool
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 10 11 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice picture. That's exactly what I think I'm going to get.

I was getting standard bricks, stacking them on the inside of my egg to elevate the grate. Then I would place the stone on the grate. When the stone was on the grate it was about even with the lip of the egg.

I think as far as my set up goes, I just need to bite the bullet and get a place setter, stone and superpeel.
kingofcool
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 11 11 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit the bullet and got a place setter. Not sure why I didn't get one previously. This thing is basically necessary. Got a stone too. Just going to use a piece of parchment paper and trim it back to fit the pie and that will be my set up. Can't wait to give it a shot.
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 11 11 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King, I do pizza almost more than I do BBQ.

The recipe looks good, my method is a little different but if I could add my 2 cents on a few points it would be:

- Don't stick to measurements like a science, there are many different variables the can change the quantities of water to flour. Save the last quarter of your water after you have the dough stirred well, then add it in.

- If its flopping around in the mixer, sprinkle water, if its sticking to the sides of the bowl sprinkle flour.

- 5-7 Minutes is a short knead, I do about 15-20 on medium speed. Any less and you won't be stretching a window pain you will be ripping your dough.

Get a good stone and you won't crack it. I cook directly on a layer of split firebicks, you could do the same buy they take a while to come up to temp and your peel catches on them easier than a solid stone.

Quote:
*My biggest issue is getting the pie from the paddle to the heated stone.

This boggles my mind why people have trouble with this, once you get the right technique its child's play.

First get a cheap peel from a restaurant supply store.

Stretch your dough out, tossing is optional....My method is flour it heavily pad it down flat, then work the edge stretching it out bit by bit then your your knuckles to stretch it out.

Now for the peel. Don't be afraid to flour it up, your dough will only absorb so much flour a bit of excess isn't going to hurt anything. Put your dough on the peel and stretch it out if necessary. Now before you touch anything shake the peel and make sure it slides around effortlessly!

If it doesn't peel off the dough and put more flour and try again!

Build your pizza as fast as possible, if you didn't flour it enough and you have humid dough, it can wet the flour and cause the dough to stick.

Shake the peel again, make sure it slides.

Deliver the pie to the stone.

You don't kneed parchment paper, you don't need a 40 dollar peel, you don't have to pray to the pizza gods, cornmeal is totally optional...all it takes is a bit of flour, a cheap peel and practice.
kingofcool
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 11 11 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have to do with the fact that A) the ventilation in my kitchen is horrible and it's usually pretty steamy in there and B) I live in perhaps the most humid place in the U.S.

Last edited by kingofcool on Thu May 12 11 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 11 11 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain, I live in Ottawa and the humidity is horrible in the summer.
Dr Obvious
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 11 11 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inner10 is totally right. I do the same thing with a cheap wooden peel, except with cornmeal, because I like the texture on the final product.
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 11 11 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm still sober by dinner time I'll make a video. Cool
Serial Griller
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12 11 5:04 am    Post subject: pizza on BGE Reply with quote

Pizza on the BGE,600'

plate setter, & fire brick spacers

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/wings55_album/P1010089.jpg
spacers between the plate setter and the pizza stone keep the crust from burning before the toppings are done.You can use 1" copper plumbing elbows for spacers, or the green feet that come with your egg also.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/wings55_album/P1010090.jpg

LGE BGE
Small BGE
Traeger Lil Tex
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Hasty-Bake Legacy
Weber Spirit E-320
kingofcool
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14 11 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just used the legs of the bge to separate the stone and place setter.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14 11 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

I still work here!
Griffin
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20 11 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same set up as seen in the link that Basset Hound posted. Run the egg around 600-650 and you are in business.

I use the parchment paper method when we do pizzas becase a) we don't have a pizza peel and b) we are usually making anywhere from 2-6 pizzas and this way you can have them all ready to go. Slide one off and slide the next one on. Just make sure to trim the paper up real close to the pizza, just leaving one little corner where you can grab it with some tongs after the pizza has been on for a minute or two to slide it out from under your pizza.Do not leave the parchment paper under there for the whole cook.
Serial Griller
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20 11 5:10 am    Post subject: BGE Pizza Reply with quote

I trim my parchment close to the crust.I leave it under the crust the whole time.No problems.When done, grab a corner, slide your peel under and slide onto the peel.
Then slide your pie off the paper onto the cutting board.
I'm sure removing the paper after loading onto the stone is fine also.

LGE BGE
Small BGE
Traeger Lil Tex
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Hasty-Bake Legacy
Weber Spirit E-320
Wartface

PostPosted: Sat May 11 13 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Baking/Pizza's on the BGE Reply with quote

Just trying to here some tips and techniques for baking (pizza and bread) in the egg. Failures and successes welcome.[/quote]

Here is the BGE setup I use for baking bread or pizza. I cook bread at 450 degrees and pizza at 550 degrees. I find that when baking bread and pizza I get better results when they are above the felt line.

My setup: Plate setter, legs up. Big grid on top of plate setter legs. 15 1/2" GX grill extender mounted on top of big grid. Pizza stone on top of grill extender.

Also... The three most important things about cooking bread or pizza dough on the BGE is...

1) Air flow...
2) Air flow...
3) Air flow...

Leave your daisy wheel off and control the temp with the bottom vent. Your pizza dough and bread's crust will brown much better with the extra air flow.

I always try to preheat my pizza stone for 1 hour before I put bread or pizza on it. I just use parchment paper and a cheap wood peel. I take the pizza off by grabbing the parchment paper and tug it toward the peel. That's one of the benefits of having the stone above the felt line.

Here's a picture of my setup...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/8721408700/

I cooked this on my BGE today... Saturday.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/8731084042/
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 12 13 5:08 pm    Post subject: Bread & Pizza on a Ceramic Cooker Reply with quote

I have many articles on my blog about baking bread and pizza on many cookers with several on the Big Green Egg ceramic cooker. An example follows:

Pizza

Kolach Bread

You might find some tips and tricks at this article.

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/2009/01/baking-bread-on-ceramic.html

Dave
Kettleman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05 13 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These very inexpensive screens make transferring pizza really easy. Roxy told me about this little trick and MacEggs uses them too.[img]
I turn them during the cook on my Weber Kettle an then lift the pizza off to brown up the bottom of the crust

[/img]
[img][/img]

18.5 WSM, mods & custom smoke rack.
Maverick 732
Thermapen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Bread Baking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: