FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old smoker maintenance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
samson
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: May 07 2013    Post subject: Old smoker maintenance Reply with quote

Hey everyone. Its been a while. I haven't had a lot of time for Q the past couple years but would like to start things up this spring. My smoker hasn't been used much but definitely needs some work done to it.

I've got a Bar-B-Chef from Barbecues Galore. The fire box is covered in rust and the handles on the firebox and cooking chamber have fallen apart.

I saw Horizon sells handles online. Not the same style I had but better than nothing. Does Horizon make decent quality parts? Is there somewhere else better to shop? I assume I'll never get the same style I had but would like something that would last. (edit: just saw a post couple down from this Tejas Smokers sells spring handles too)

Also, whats the best way to get rid of the rust? Just plain old steel wool? Wire wheel? How smooth should the metal be before painting? And speaking of paint...would any high temp paint work?

Thanks in advance for any input. Its still a decent cooker and better than anything I've seen at the big box stores so I'd like to keep it as long as possible. (Still dreaming of a pit from Peoria Custom Cookers though...)
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: May 08 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

naval jelly will remove the rust if u dont mind the chemicals, but ide probably use an angle grinder with a wire wheel.
be sure to use hand and face protection, breathing protection if useing the wire wheel and a well ventalated area would be nice. as far as your handles go, i just looked up bar b chef and i came up with this link sells all sorts of parts and accessories for your brand. good luck, any pics??

Slow & Low, That is the Tempo!!
GF
BBQ Super Pro

samson, I just ordered spring handles from www.kck.com.
I have also ordered from tejas smokers before and can't say anything bad about both companies. Both had good service and quick shipping, guess it comes down to price.

I'm guessing a wire wheel may be your best bet for rust removal, hard to say without seeing it.

Sorry, can't help much with paint.

Good luck with your project. Very Happy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

samson, as already mentioned a grinder and wire wheel is the way I would attack it. You can use rattle cans of Rustoleum BBQ black to cover the metal once clean.
As George mentioned KCK.com has the best deal going on springs.

Hybrid Cooker
GF
BBQ Super Pro

samson, I'm not sure if you need thermo's, if you do KCK was selling tel-tru's cheaper than ordering direct from tel-tru. Shocked

I also forgot to thank k.a.m. for providing me with the link to start with. Embarassed Embarassed
samson
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: May 11 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for the help. I'll post before and after pics once I get started.
samson
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Aug 20 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man. Three months later...summer has kicked my butt as far as free time goes. Still haven't started this yet.

I saw the springs on KCK and Tejas. If I went with those, how would I mount them to the doors of an offset cooker? Both sites sell the complete assembly for more than I want to spend as I would like 2 handles.

I was tempted to go with a chipping hammer but still need some sort of bracket to attach to the doors. Any advice? I've never welded so thats out of the question. If not brackets, would a wide square u bolt work run through the spring too? If it works I'm assuming stainless would be good or any type of metal that isn't coated??

Since I don't weld I have to drill and I want to make sure I get the right materials before I start putting holes in my cooker. I wish I still had a photobucket account to show you the smoker. Its just a regular sized backyard cooker about the same size as a Brinkmann.

Thanks in advance.
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Aug 21 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you back Samson!

I used to have a Bar-B-Chef as well, but sold it when I got my Brinkmann Stillwater offset. I was concerned about long term maintenance of the firebox, but didn't think about the handles being an issue down the road.

This link should help provide a picture for everyone trying to help out. Like you, I'm no welder.

http://www.amazon.com/Bar-B-Chef-Offset-Smoker/dp/B000BU1IU0/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Spring handles would be a nice upgrade for the firebox and cooking chamber especially since replacement parts are not apparently available for the Bar-B-chef smoker now.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Aug 21 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

samson, if you have a vice buy some 1.5" x 1/8" flat bar and bend your own brackets. Then you can use the springs from KCK.com.
Buy some 1/2" rod and caps at a local hardware store.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
samson
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sep 04 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Last question Rolling Eyes

I ended up having to cut off some bolts to remove the firebox. And most of my washers have deteriorated. Everything on this thing is in metric and finding metric hardware in stainless is tough. Is there any other material besides stainless I could use to bolt everything back together? I know to stay away from zinc and galvanized.

Also, I still have the manual to the Bar B Chef and apparently I had some fiber washers too. Do I really need to replace those. I'd rather not spend any more money if I don't have too.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!

I made a new photobucket account (its been years) so once I figure things out I'll start adding pics to this. The smoker is looking good so far!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

samson, on your bolts just drill your holes to the next size up and go SAE. Personally I would use Zinc bolts and never look back, the small amount of plating is nothing compared to galvanized bolts.
I am guessing your talking about fiber washers on the firebox mounting bolts, I would use a flat washer on both sides and call it a day.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
samson
BBQ Pro

Thanks k.a.m.! My concern with the zinc bolts was the heat of the firebox. I read the zinc starts emitting gasses around 800 degrees. Not sure how hot it gets in there. I could just switch around some bolts to keep the zinc bolts on the cooler side of the cooking chamber but would the heat of the fb do anything to zinc washers? 2 washers per bolt as suggested would be 16 washers taking on alot of heat. Maybe I'm just being goofy but don't want to add something bad to the mix since I have kids who will also be eating my Q.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

samson, if you have a propane torch just burn the plating off.
Or drill the holes one size up to SAE and use stainless.

Hybrid Cooker
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

I think chrome plated bolts / nuts / etc. would be OK; Horizon for example still sells firebox grates made of chromed steel. There's been a bit of discussion on this before.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18386

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20156&highlight=chrome

I see k.a.m. has commented about drilling the holes out for the next largest SAE size; getting SAE stainless hardware to fit the enlarged holes as he suggests is probably the easiest answer.

The fiber washers IMO were in the Bar-B-Chef hardware to minimize tramp air leaking around the bolt holes. I don't think not having them would be a really big deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: