FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooked at a Dutch Oven cook off yesterday. Long A$$ed Post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 13 3:21 am    Post subject: Cooked at a Dutch Oven cook off yesterday. Long A$$ed Post Reply with quote

Dang that's a hard intense 5 hours of cooking, in 100° heat at the Days of 47 Rodeo, Salt Lake City.

3 dishes are to be prepared, Dessert, Bread and Mains, the local grocery Harmons, provided the protein for the mains, (Pork Belly).

All food must be cooked over coals and in cast iron or dutch oven pots, I took my selection of pots, the tables with wind screens, 3 sink setup, and prep tables.

There were only 6 teams due to several late cancellations with family emergencies, I know half of them from the BBQ circuit,and the others I had seen at other DO contests including the World Championships, they are a fun crowd to cook around.

Did not come in DAL... only by one slot, but I stayed off the bottom.

Cooked with my son, he worked hard to help out with anything he could. Here's what we cooked.

Dessert

Baked Alaska
Made from scratch cake, (Doug Martin's recipe), with commercial ice cream, and scratch meringue covering.

Cake Ingredients:

2 C sugar
2 C flour
1 C milk
3/4 C cocoa powder
¼ C vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 eggs

1 C boiling water

Ice Cream Ingredients

Pack the commercial ice cream into a larger tub, lined with saran wrap, then put into a cooler with dry ice to set an hard and cold as you can.

Swiss Meringue Ingredients:

9 egg whites, (at room temperature).
2 ¼ – 2 ¾ cups of superfine sugar.
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract.
Pinch of Cream of Tarter. (optional).

INSTRUCTIONS:
Mix all the Cake ingredients, 2 C sugar, ¾ C cocoa powder, 1 C milk, 1 ½ tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt,
2 C flour, ¼ C vegetable oil, 3 eggs, 1 ½ tsp baking soda, 2 tsp vanilla, well until a thick batter.
Add 1 cup boiling water and mix thoroughly until the batter is smooth.
Pour 3 ½ or 4 C into a 10 inch greased dutch oven and bake at 350 degrees. Cool on a cooling rack.

Chill in a cooler with dry ice.

Remove the cake base from the cooler, add the ice cream on top of the cake base, put back into the cooler, to maintain the chill on the cake base and ice cream.

Mix the egg whites and sugar in a bowl, heat the bowl gently in a “bain marie” until the sugar melts and the eggs and sugar are thoroughly mixed and cooked to around 140°, remove the bowl from the heat, continue to whisk the egg and sugar mixture, until you get soft peaks, add the pure Vanilla extract, (and the optional pinch of Cream of Tarter, unless using a copper bowl, if you use a copper bowl do not add any acid to the egg whites), continue to whisk until you have hard peaks.

Put meringue into piping bags.

Pipe the meringue over the ice cream and over the cake base, cover completely from the outer edge of the cake base up and over the ice cream, return the unbaked Alaska to the cooler to chill down and firm up.

Place into the deep lid of the Dutch oven, cover with the pot upside down, surround the bottom of the lid with coals, load the pan base with as many coals as you can fit on it, you want the pan as hot as you can get it.

You need as much heat on the meringue with as little under the bottom of the cake base as possible.

Remove the pan and serve hot or warm on the lid!4

Bread

"Everything Challah" recipe a la twkitchen on allrecipes.com

"Challah is traditionally eaten on the Jewish Sabbath (Shabbos).
This is not your average challah recipe.
It is a twist on my trusty old water challah recipe (which even water-challah-phobics have loved), and has some of the taste of an everything bagel.
It's really something else. Enjoy!
This challah freezes extremely well after baking, just defrost in a ziplock bag with the zipper open.
I always freeze it, even what I bake on Thursday nights for use on Friday!
It preserves the freshness so well." — twkitchen

Original recipe makes 2 loaves

3 tablespoons active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
3 tablespoons dried minced onion
1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
6 cups all-purpose flour, or more if needed

1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
1 egg, beaten

Directions

NOTE: Recipe directions are for the original serving size of 24, or 2 loaves!
Mix the yeast, water, and sugar together in a large bowl, stir to dissolve the sugar, and let the mixture stand until a creamy layer forms on top, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the oil, and sprinkle the yeast mixture with 2 tablespoons of salt, 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds, 3 tablespoons of dried onion, 1 tablespoon of dried garlic, and the garlic powder, and onion powder.

Add the flour a cup at a time up to 6 cups, then add more by half-cups if needed to make an elastic but not sticky dough.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.

Form the dough into a compact round shape, and place in an oiled bowl.
Turn the dough over several times in the bowl to oil the surface of the dough, cover the bowl with a cloth, and let rise in a warm area until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut the dough into 2 equal size pieces.* or **

*To make a round plated loaf, cut each of the two pieces into 4 pieces / or weigh them out to get even weights.

Working on a floured surface, roll the small dough pieces into ropes about the thickness of your thumb and about 24 inches long. Ropes should be even from end to end, you may need to work then out to 12 inches, then rest them and work another rope, then return to the first rope and roll it out to it's full length.

Lay 2 ropes across your floured table side to side, (horizontally), fold one rope in half gently, lay one of the last two ropes across the full rope, (vertically), and unfold the folded rope over the vertical rope.
Fold the other horizontal rope over itself, lay the last rope vertically across the horizontal rope, unfold the second folded rope. This forms a TicTacToe layout for the ropes.

Starting with one of the ropes that comes under an "over rope", lay it over the rope that came over the rope, continue with the next 3 under ropes, putting each over it's over rope.

Starting with the under rope you now created, put them over the over ropes in the opposite direction. Keep the ropes as close together as you can. The ropes alternate direction, if you start clockwise on the first layer, the next layer turns anticlockwise, keep going until you run out of ropes.

Gather the ends of the ropes into the center, lift an edge and turn upside down onto parchment paper in a bowl. Cover the loaves, and let them rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.

Hold 1/2 teaspoon of poppy seeds. Brush the loaves with beaten egg, and sprinkle with the seed mixture. Bake in the dutch oven at around 350° until the loaves are cooked through and golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes. If your top is browned well at 30 minutes, remove the coals from the top of the dutch, continue to add coals to the bottom. Check for doneness after 40 - 45 minutes of baking time, temperature should reach about 190° internal.
Remove from oven, cool on a cooling rack for 15 minutes, then serve warm, or cool completely and then serve!

** To make 3-strand braided loaves, cut each piece into 3 pieces.
Working on a floured surface, roll the small dough pieces into ropes about the thickness of your thumb and about 12 inches long.
Ropes should be fatter in the middle and thinner at the ends.
Pinch 3 ropes together at the top and braid them.
Starting with the strand to the right, move it to the left over the middle strand (that strand becomes the new middle strand.)
Take the strand farthest to the left, and move it over the new middle strand.
Continue braiding, alternating sides each time, until the loaf is braided, and pinch the ends together and fold them underneath for a neat look.
Place the loaves on the prepared baking sheets. Cover the loaves, and let them rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Hold 1/2 teaspoon of poppy seeds, . Brush the loaves with beaten egg, and sprinkle with the seed mixture.
Bake in the preheated oven until the loaves are cooked through and golden brown, 45 to 60 minutes. Check for doneness after 45 minutes of baking time.

Side to Garnish the Mains

Ratatouille Casserole recipe a la Bruno Albouze “you tube”!

Piperade Mixture

2 Onions peeled & chopped
2 Carrots washed & chopped
2 stalks Celery chopped
1 Tbsp Mashed Garlic
1 red & 1 green bell pepper, seeded and ribs removed.
Olive oil to saute.
1 15oz can of Tomato Sauce
1 tsp herbes de Provence
salt & pepper to taste
6 fresh Basil leaves.

Sliced Vegetables, (for the finished surface), all sliced into 1/16 inch rounds.

2 yellow squash
2 zucchinis
2 Japanese Eggplants
6 firm Roma Tomatoes.

Seasoning
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp mashed Garlic
1 tsp chopped Thyme leaves
Salt & pepper to taste.

Directions

Peel and chop all the vegetables for the Piperade Sauce, slice all the vegetables for the finished surface, (bag the sliced vegetables and cooler with ice).

Add olive oil to a dutch oven, saute the onion in the olive oil, add the carrots and celery, continue to saute turning frequently, add the mashed Garlic and the bell peppers, add the Tomato sauce and cook until reduced by 1/3 rd, add the herbes de Provence cook another 10 minutes, blend with the basil leaves, add salt and pepper to taste.

In a dutch oven deep lid, pour in the Piperade sauce, smooth out until it is an even layer, lay the Sliced vegetables in circles starting at the outside and working in to the middle, alternate the slices of egg plant, squash, zucchini and Roma Tomatoes.

Mix the Seasoning, taste and add salt and pepper.

Drizzle with the Seasoning, lid with a pan, slowly cook for 2 hours, replacing the coals on a regular basis.

Mains

Stuffed Rolled Pork Belly recipe a la Yours Truly!

Take a skin off piece of pork belly about 2 - 2 1/2 lbs, butterfly it along the meat/ fat line, that runs through the center of the cut.

Open the meat, fat side down on a board.

Stuff with the ratatouille mix, the sauteed onions, celery, carrots, peppers, garlic, tomato sauce and herbes d Provence.

Cover with the meat layer, roll tightly and string from end to end.

Cook with medium heat, and then sear at the end to crisp up the outside fat layer just before turn ins.

I didn't take pictures but I'll steal some from fb friends that were there and who took some including my dishes.

My dessert is the center back row with the browned top.

Center front still in the dutch.

Left hand end, stuffed rolled pork belly on ratatouille casserole.

The Baked Alaska failed due to the heat of the day, the whole thing slumped, tasted great, chocolate cake, strawberry ice cream and meringue topping.

I would have liked a little more color on the pork too, but I ran out of time, another 20 - 30 minutes would have produced a better result.

At the end of the long hot day, we had had a great time, I think my son will turn in to a good cook, and we are definitely going to cook in some more Dutch Oven cook offs.

We learned some worthwhile lessons, and we're going to move forward from here! Wink

I still work here!

Last edited by SoEzzy on Mon Jul 22 13 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
stingerhook
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 13 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy,
Looks and sounds like a great time. Also, thanks for the recipes.
Square Chicken Cooker
Chargriller Barrel Grill
Stok Tower Grill
bud-wie-ser
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job there Chris.
At the end of the day, as long as you had a good time cooking with your son, thats all that really matters.
Custom Drum Smoker
UDS
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great time.

I was so hoping your pictures were too big. Very Happy
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your cook with your son, pure quality time. Sometimes the conditions control the cook as I am sure you know better than me. Your dessert & pork recipes sound spot on & I agree a little more carmelizing on the pork would make it a great looking dish. Best of luck next go around...
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

It was a good time and he worked his bunns off, so it was some quality time, don't tell him though, but I really think he's going turn out to be a really nice catch some day, able to cook and clean with a smile on his face! Wink

The heat of the day was more than I expected, but the cook was great fun, and trying to pick recipes that I've not seen as a dutch oven staples, really makes you stretch as a cook.

There are lessons that I will take to the next BBQ competition from this cook, and practice in any form helps with my overall skill levels, practice, practice, practice is what will improve any cooking style, and as we want to compete again, looks like we will have more practice to come! Wink

I still work here!
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25 13 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Show !!!

I do not understand why that bread didn't score high......detailed recipe, executed just so....... Very Happy
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
capitalism
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25 13 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's impressive. Looks like a helluva lot more work than smoking.

Cheers,
Cap
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25 13 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels like the work for 2 BBQ competitions, crammed into 5 hours.

If you look at the miles folks walk and work at the WCCO, you'll get an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAgwjiYl5rk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEXUYkqqwtA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee6EpVj0qZI

These video's are taken at the WCCO dutch oven championships 2012, and are the full 5 hours cook done as stop motion in under 4 minutes each.

I still work here!
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26 13 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Chris... that all looks amazing!

You make it look SoEzzy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: