FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home Ground Hamburger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zmokin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03 13 10:07 am    Post subject: Home Ground Hamburger Reply with quote

Anyone have recommendations on the best beef to grind when making home gound "ground beef"?
14" Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Large Big Green Egg w/Sole' Gourmet Table
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03 13 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck and brisket 50% / 50%, or chuck and brisket 60% / 40% if you like it a little more lean! Wink

I still work here!
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03 13 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add some short rib meat if you really want to make an impression. Smile

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Zmokin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27 13 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patruns wrote:
Add some short rib meat if you really want to make an impression. Smile

The only person I'm trying to impress is my own palate.
I went with chuck Steaks (not roast) and brisket, next time I'll look for short ribs on sale, so I can cut off the bones, roast the bones for making beef stock and add the short rib meat to the hamburger grind. I like to can my own stock for low sodium (except when I make ham stock, can't avoid the sodium in that one). I also can my own beans for low sodium as well as my own spaghetti marinara/arrabiatta sauce. My quick chili bean recipe is: home canned beans, home canned spaghetti sauce, cumin & home dried chili-powder, home smoked carnitas from the freezer. I can whip up a chili in 1/2 an hour that tastes like it was slow-cooked for hours. yes, hours were spent in the canning and smoking, but those were hours spent months ago, today it only took 1/2 an hour to make some awesome chili-beans for dinner. Tonight I'm starting on 7 pints of chicken/turkey stock. Bones I've been saving in the freezer have come out to make stock, tonight I boil the stock, late tonight I filter it.
chill it over night, remove the grease that has solidified in the am, re-filter it cold (removes the small bits of fat that are still in it and any solids that coagulated/precipitated out under colder temps over night in the fridge). Then pressure can it for future use.
14" Cast Iron Dutch Oven
DerekD

PostPosted: Sun May 26 13 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to try this too this weekend. Do you guys add anything else when grinding like onion, bell pepper, etc? I was thinking of doing the meat separate, then chopping those other ingredients like I normally would.
Zmokin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 13 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerekD wrote:
I think I'm going to try this too this weekend. Do you guys add anything else when grinding like onion, bell pepper, etc? I was thinking of doing the meat separate, then chopping those other ingredients like I normally would.
When making hamburger to freeze for future use, I would add nothing. If I'm grinding for a particular use, then I would add ingredients. e.g. When I make beef jerky with my jerky press, I course grind the meat, then I mix my seasonings & curing salt with a little bit of water. then thoroughly mix this into the meat, run it back through the grinder on fine grind, and then extrude into jerky strips into my dehydrator.

When making hamburger meat to press into hamburger patties, I will season the meat as well.
14" Cast Iron Dutch Oven
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 13 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I misunderstand but if you have all the answers, why are you asking the questions ??? JFWIW the diff. between steaks & roast is just the cut...
Zmokin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24 13 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
Maybe I misunderstand but if you have all the answers, why are you asking the questions ??? JFWIW the diff. between steaks & roast is just the cut...

I don't have all the answers. I do have my own opinions and ideas, but I also like hearing what others think. I do like to experiment. One of the things I like to do, is google for recipes, copy 3 or 4 of them, see what they have in common, see what have that is different, think of what I do and don't like, and then I make my own recipe to try.
14" Cast Iron Dutch Oven
MGeslock
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26 13 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One of the things I like to do, is google for recipes, copy 3 or 4 of them, see what they have in common, see what have that is different, think of what I do and don't like, and then I make my own recipe to try.

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: