FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Texas Hog Hunts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 2:52 am    Post subject: Texas Hog Hunts Reply with quote

I read an article this week in AR-15 magazine on an outfit that offers hog/varmint hunts out of Texas....shooting from a helo! The article was awesome what a blast rolling hogs from a helo! I called the guy that was in the article and left a message as I was wanting to know the cost of a helo hog hunt. I have not heard back yet.

So I googled Texas hog hunting and found one place offering a two hour two person helo hog/varmint hunt for crazy money. Too expensive for me.

I then found other non-helo hog hunts in Texas but even they ranged wildly in price and in what they offer.

Any of you in Texas know of a good solid place we can come and whack unlimited hogs and varmints at a reasonable price?

I assumed some of the ranches would be so overrun with hogs and varmints they would want folks to come kill'em for free. Having been raised around a dairy farm I know when non-farm folks come around they tend to leave gates open and such...I get that.

Any help? Thanks

--Dan
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted Nugent has a show on one of the sportsmen's networks (I don't remember which one) doing just that. From the trailer, it looked like a helluva lot of fun.
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
Ted Nugent has a show on one of the sportsmen's networks (I don't remember which one) doing just that. From the trailer, it looked like a helluva lot of fun.

Yep, BO the article and subsequent youtube videos I watched helo hunting looks awesome! It goes on my bucket list of things to do before I buy the farm! About to go on the deck and enjoy a Gurkha Ghost see-gar! If the rain will ever stop!

--Dan
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that Ted Nugent show where they're blasting away at the little bastards. Looks like a s-load of fun Laughing

I used to deer hunt at a place in middle Georgia a few years ago that was getting overrun with hogs and the landowner told us we could kill them any time and any way we wanted. We did. Oh brother, we did! Baiting, traps, dogs, spotlights, you name it. Biggest one killed pegged a 500 pound scale (we figured it was an escaped sow), but most were in the 200-250 pound range. Now he doesn't have a piggy problem anymore Laughing
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with finding a "Helo Hunt" To me that sounds too much like fish in a barrel, wheres the sport. For what it is worth, come down here to S.W. Fl. & you can shoot all the hogs you want,
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ Sounds like you had a blast, bro! If you find anymore overrun farms give me a shout! Very Happy

jess Shooting from a moving platform while the target is also moving is not easy. It is not like shooting fish in a barrel. Trust me.

And an important thing to keep in mind is we are not talking about hunting hogs we are eradicating hogs. There is a difference. The hogs are overrunning and ruining peoples livelihood and property. These animals are a pest and a nuisance.

Last edited by jeepdad on Fri Jun 28 13 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, feral hogs have reached epidemic proportions in Texas. A few rich folks had the bill pushed through to hunt from the helo saying it would help control the populations I for one throw the BS flag at it. All they do is push the herds to other property while taking maybe a half doze in a hunt. The bottom line is the hogs have become basically nocturnal and effective control is done at night. The pigs have also figured out that state land (type 2 hunting areas) is a nice place to be since you cannot fire a weapon at night, the state people are to stupid to figure this out. I wish you were closer I have a friend that could put you on some pigs Brother, their deer lease is over run with them. My Good Friend Jan from Norway is building an outfitter business for hunting pigs in west Texas as well. When it is up and running I will let you know. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good words kevin what you say makes sense....as always. Hey me and some of my jarhead brothers will gladly come down and thin the herds out. Let's talk, brother.

--Dan
phil c
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to do some hog huntin!
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go to craigslist or some other forum. I have heard of people who will PAY YOU to come kill the hogs they are getting to be such a problem. If not I bet you could at least get somebody to let you "come on down" and kill all the hogs you want.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29 13 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's starting to get hot....it's summer......(maybe not quite up there, Jeepdad !).....it's near the end of the month.......& this may qualify ~~~~~>

"Any of you in Texas know of a good solid place we can come and whack unlimited hogs and varmints at a reasonable price?"

Gettin' close to "Post-of-the-Month" !!!!

From KAM:
"The pigs have also figured out that state land (type 2 hunting areas) is a nice place to be since you cannot fire a weapon at night, the state people are to stupid to figure this out."

Are you smarter than a 5th grade feral hog?

It's just crazy, from what I can see limited to "As Seen on TV"......i feel for the farmers, ranchers & really anybody that gets run over by this train....... Crying or Very sad
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29 13 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeepdad wrote:
And an important thing to keep in mind is we are not talking about hunting hogs we are eradicating hogs. There is a difference. The hogs are overrunning and ruining peoples livelihood and property. These animals are a pest and a nuisance.

Well put. These damn varmints sure can tear up crops in no time at all. It got so bad here in Georgia the DNR relaxed most restrictions on hunting them. Now it's basically legal to kill them anyway you can, day or night. I do think land mines and full auto weapons are still not allowed, though Laughing .
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29 13 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buds and I have hunted quail here quite a few times. Never hunted hogs but they are out there. I'm not sure if you have to be a resident Texan but it is public for a fee rather than trying to locate some soul that needs his place cleared or an expensive day lease. Most folks just trap on their own lands so this may be the way to go for a shoot to kill hunt. Worth a look I think.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/wma/find_a_wma/list/?id=45
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04 13 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id like to give this a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLp6DQjDjxw
NaughtyNurse
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10 13 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where we go:
http://www.callaghanranchltd.net/cal_hogs.htm
KCBS CBJ
FEC-100, FE/PG1000, 22" WSM, Good-One Rodeo, Big Steel Keg
whitey
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26 13 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to jump in while I sitting inDoha to catch up with 2 buddies and I find them plotting a hunt and not even mention my name Crying or Very sad
Well sign me up, I will take a little vacation for a trip like that.
Keep me posted Big Dan and KAM
You all take care.
Whitey..OUT!
Chicken Throwdown Champ..2010..
Almost the Biggest Liar on the "Ring"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: