FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking with Myron Mixon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morph

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18 11 5:17 am    Post subject: Smoking with Myron Mixon Reply with quote

I got the book. I like it. The chicken recipes are great. His rib brine I'm not crazy about. Anybody else read it?
jonfoxx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04 11 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes. I bought this one right away because I have always liked Myron and his "I'm the best S.O.B. in barbecue" attitude. I've tried a few things so far, but let me tell you, that Hog Glaze recipe is bringing in the praise around my parties! That stuff is just incredible.... I want to try the sausage stuffed pork loin next.
Masterbuilt Smokehouse
Weber 22.5 Kettle
BBQ Grillware Propane Grill w/Rotisserie
Sagaform Bucket Grill

Last edited by jonfoxx on Sun Jul 10 11 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05 11 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonfoxx wrote:
that Hog Glaze recipe is bringing in the praise around my parties!

Did you make it with Jack's Old South Vinegar Sauce or Basic Vinegar Sauce?

George
jonfoxx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08 11 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeH, I made it with the basic vinegar sauce recipe in the cookbook. That recipe in itself is pretty darn good...
Masterbuilt Smokehouse
Weber 22.5 Kettle
BBQ Grillware Propane Grill w/Rotisserie
Sagaform Bucket Grill
Kronk
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09 11 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonfoxx wrote:
Oh yes. I bought this one right away because I have always liked Myron and his "I'm the best S.O.B. in barbecue" attitude. I've tried a few things so far, but let me tell you, that Hog Glaze recipe is bringing in the praise around my parties! That stuff is just incredible.... I want to try the sausage stuffed pork loin next.

I made his sausage smoked pork loin Saturday evening but with my own sausage, rub and sauce. It was excellent and I'll definitely be making this one again. Everybody loved it!

I'm 3/4 of the way through the book and I've got some good tips that i'm trying. In fact, i'm marinating some strip steaks in his beef marinade/injection recipe now. I'll use his seasoning recipe and grill em up in a half hour.
jleyjr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 11 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rib marinade is a little on the salty side. I LOVE the hog injection. It gets high marks with all my peeps. I also like cooking in the pans method. I have tried all the sauces and can honestly say the chicken glaze is off the charts! You can also try different jellies to create different flavor profiles. I even went as far as creating my own cupcake chicken pans. I just wish there was someway to not make his basic rub so hot. I've cut back from 2 tbs to 1 tbs of cayenne, but i might need to drop back to TPS to get it right. Great book for sure.
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 11 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronk wrote:
I made his sausage smoked pork loin Saturday evening but with my own sausage, rub and sauce. It was excellent and I'll definitely be making this one again. Everybody loved it!

I have a half of a pork loin in the fridge and I also have some apple/sage sausage meat as well. Think I should combine the two for doing a stuffed loin?

I was thinking of doing a stuffed loin with granny smith apples, rosemary, dried cranberries and brown sugar. Think the sausage meat would help out or hinder?
tarrbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26 11 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just bought the book, haven't cracked it open yet Crying or Very sad Can't wait to get into it!
ham_bbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09 12 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the book is great. myron has his bbq down to a T. I have made his bbq chicken, the pork loin, steak, bout to make some of the spare ribs. I will be going to his school later this year. This book is well worth it and his sauces and rubs are all you will need.
Chevypro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 12 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the book. It has great recipes. We have already tried the chicken rub+basic bbq rub. They are great!!!! Very Happy
ham_bbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 12 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah all the recipes in myrons book are great. he teaches a little different at his school but its close enough to the recipes in the book.
PWF_Cook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13 12 3:22 am    Post subject: Finally bought the book. Reply with quote

Well worth it to me.

I'm a fan, and his recipes ring true.

Also just plain good reading.
Dockman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03 13 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the book but you do need to stay away from the rib marinade. The hog injection is great and I like the way he does a brisket.
MrBone

PostPosted: Thu May 02 13 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the book probably around February and have done spares three times so far this year with it, with the basic rub and basic vinegar sauce for the glaze.

Oh. My. God.

It's hard to describe just how good these ribs are.

They're hot, but it's this incredible heat - I don't know how to describe it, it's like all across the back of your mouth while all the other flavors are up front and center.

First time I looked at the recipes for all the components - marinade, rub, glaze and spritz - well, they're frankly horrifying. 2 tbsp Cayenne here, 2 tbsp hot sauce, 2 tbsp red pepper...

I got that far and thought, hell, nobody's going to want to eat this, it's going to burn their face off their skull. Continuing on though, there's a ton of sweet stuff on the other side of the equation and it all comes together and balances perfectly.

As to the marinade, there's a ton of sodium in the recipe, but for me it wasn't lending an overly salty taste to the final product at all. You really want to make sure you've patted the ribs off thoroughly, perhaps even rinse them in water then pat them off when they come out of the marinade.

The only place I chose to deviate from the recipe was the temperature. Myron calls for a typical 3-2-1 type of cook, but tells you to go 275 degrees. I kept it down around 225 all three times I've done them and they turned out perfect.

My mother ate them, let me put it that way. She doesn't like BBQ sauce and she won't eat almost anything with even a hint of spice, normally - but she went to town on these.

The only problem with these ribs - there weren't any leftovers.

This probably reads like an advertising spot for Jack's Old SOuth, but they are really just that good.

This was with a little charcoal to get going and hickory chunks on a Char-Griller with side firebox.
G Spot BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 04 13 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Myron for the most part and I bought his book. I guess I knew this before I bought the book but Myron and I just have entirely different philosophys when it comes to bbq. Myron seems to marinade, inject, rub, spritz, glaze, sauce, pan ,steam, foil everything. I on the other hand have never injected a piece of meat in my life and anything I bbq spends most of the time on the grates and not in a pan.

I like the taste of meat and with all these processes he subjects his meat to the meat at some point just becomes the vehicle for serving up all these injections, rubs, glaze and sauces. The meat simply gets lost in the shuffle.

The one thing I did get out of his book was his Whistler Burger recipe. Good stuff there.
TulareJohn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07 13 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Myron's book this past weekend, and have gone through it. Some interesting reading and ideas. I will give it a try soon and see. I also picked up a book, "Low & Slow" by Gary Wiviott which is a nice basic book and has some good information also...at least for this rookie..

Brinkmann Trailmaster offset
Masterbuilt dual fuel vertical
eddiefebuary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21 13 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading this and see that Myron is a big proponent of using aluminum pans to cook everything in rather than directly on the grill grate. He does this because he doesn't like to clean the grates, which I can relate to. However, I have never used a pan. Has anybody else? I always thought the advantage to a grill was so that the rendered fat could drip away. In a pan it seems that the meat would just be simmering in its own fat and juices, which would prevent a hard bark from forming, at least on the bottom. Am I wrong?
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14 13 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'In a pan it seems that the meat would just be simmering in its own fat and juices, which would prevent a hard bark from forming, at least on the bottom. Am I wrong?'

No, not wrong......one thing I pan sometimes is brisket, halfway thru, up on a cookie cooling rack to keep it out of the juice.........but this works good for SAVING the juice to use later..... Very Happy
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15 13 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, you are questioning Myron and his use of fat? It seems like if you took a slab of fat and made it tender and crispy on the edges, he would eat it!

I saw his thing on the Craig Fergussen show and he uses so much butter that nothing would even slow down going through your body! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookbooks All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: