FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoke Wood List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbellot
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31 10 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brisk wrote:
anyone tried 'silver maple' ? my brother is cutting down two monster huge silver maple trees on his property.. I wouldn't think of it being a good smoker wood.. but who knows?

Haven't tried it yet, but I have read in several places that all Maple (silver, red and sugar/rock) are OK for smoking.

I took down a sizable silver Maple this summer (2 foot diameter trunk) and saved some pieces, but I won't use them until next spring to find out for sure if they are good for smoking.
Smokescreen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05 10 9:49 pm    Post subject: How long to season Peach wood? Reply with quote

I'm taking down a peach tree in our yard this fall. If I chunk it up into fist-sized pieces, how long do you guys think until it will be good for smoking?

I'm in northern Illinois...

Thanks
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04 10 12:40 am    Post subject: In the same boat Reply with quote

I have yet to find a good place to buy wood to. I bought a 25 lb bag of Maple chunks from a BBQ place that went out of business but was not overly impressed with it. Maybe I used too much and didn't know it... Confused ... I have been getting a couple of varieties of wood chips at BiMart of all places but ya' know, they work really good.

Four years active duty Infantry - '81 -'85

My Local Dive Shop: Oregon City Scuba
Pappy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 11 9:33 am    Post subject: Silver Maple Reply with quote

I have thinking about using some silver maple for heat to go with my kickory. All kinds of maple around here. The tree trimmers around here don't give any wood away. It's for sale.

Pappy
tanglediver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11 12 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCal is basically desert climate, and trees are normally yard ornamentals. But, I have some good sized chunks from a neighbors Chinese Elm cut and split. The tree was cut down almost a year ago, and once they dry up a bit more I plan to try them out. Unless of course I learn they are not fit to cook with. That wood is like concrete.
KAKid
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11 12 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanglediver, I can't speak from experience, but I've never seen elm recommended for smoking on any wood list. Maybe save it for a patio fire pit.

Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB and Mods
Pair of UDS's
10 gal CI Chili/Jambalaya pot
tanglediver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12 12 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah me neither, thanks! It won't take up much room until it gets dryer. Plain ole firewood is fine. I still have a truck load of Oak to cut and split for future use! Smile

Wait, I have seen Elm listed, but not "Chinese Elm". Ulmus Parvifolia
PABLO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27 12 9:18 am    Post subject: need wood from miami Reply with quote

would like to find a supplier of wood chunks in miami
Tombo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24 13 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just helped me with my Lilac dilemma, thank you!
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24 13 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: How long to season Peach wood? Reply with quote

Smokescreen wrote:
I'm taking down a peach tree in our yard this fall. If I chunk it up into fist-sized pieces, how long do you guys think until it will be good for smoking?

I'm in northern Illinois...

Thanks

I`d let it season for at least 6-9 months cut, split & chunk-ed up.
What i have also done is place the chunks in open tubs and place in my yard barn/shed, ya know the small shed most people have in the back yard to store the mower and other such useful things.
My shed gets pretty darn hot in the summer.... helps dry the chunks faster. Ive had usable apple wood chunks in as little as 3 months.
Give that one a try if you have such a hot place to store the wood. Give the tubs a shake ever week or so to stir up the bottom pieces to the top. Wink
StinkyBunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01 13 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an easy way to season wood quickly. I use rubber roofing material, you could use pond liner if no rubber roofing is available. Do be aware, rubber roofing comes in HUGE sheets, usually 50x50ft and up. Might wanna get a few people together and buy some or ask a local roofing company if they have any damaged pieces they'd want to sell cheap and patch the holes. I leave about a foot or 2 at the bottom open for air circulation. Under these tarps the temps get up to 145 degrees in the summers here in The People's Republic of Maryland. I can season white oak in a year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: