FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike S

PostPosted: Sun May 15 05 2:46 pm    Post subject: Catering Reply with quote

Hello: You folks that want to get in the catering business & you think you food is so darn good let me give you one little advice if you really think your that good great but remember "don't give up your job that pays the bills,it takes 3-years of college to become good in the catering business & it takes alot of money to get started,if I was anyone trying to make it in the catering field I'd go back to school take nite classes anything else I could find before I'd start up.Go talk to these folks that have been in the business of catering ask them how they got started,remember talk is cheap sit and visit with them see how it all goes together then decide if this is good enough for you to go thru with...............Mike
Rich

PostPosted: Mon May 16 05 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike...super duper advise,thanks.Do you still need 3 years of college if you want to do it part time?because I know someone that just graduated with a degree in the restaurant industry and can't even scramble an egg
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11 05 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business is business and catering is just that. I would not think that 3 years in school would do much for ya sept give you a huge debt. That is the problem with the culinary schools, crankin out chefs with no experience. The best way to make it in the business is to buy someone elses business, such as franchising or the like. If money is all you are interested in then thats the way to go. If you want to make good food then good LUCK to ya cause you'll need it. A very small percent of the market is about good food, the rest is about huge profit. You would be better off taking some classes on small business or marketing, cause thats what it is all about.

Hey, good luck....
LIAR #100
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 05 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike S, Mike S here too! Dont have the three years of college (only two) Crying or Very sad but you are right that one needs good business sense, marketing and networking skills, and of course great food and reasonable prices. We are proof that it can be done, usually just not overnight! Very Happy Keep a positive attitude, and dont quit the day job till things are going well! Very Happy
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 05 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Mike, I did quit the day job, yes talk is cheap, and yes, my food is that damn good! Laughing
pARTYCOOKER
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08 05 1:24 am    Post subject: Hmmm. Reply with quote

Didn't need three years of college to achieve these skills that I would like to think that I have.

Thoroughness
Organization Skills

Great Presentation
Works well with the public
Can bullsit with the best of all s--t
Always presenting cleanliness
Looks sharp and dresses cleanly with neat attire
Fair prices
HARD WORK & DOESN’T CUT CORNERS
And most of all Great tasting food

So far this has worked really well for me. Everywhere I go I seem tp pick up more clients.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08 05 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of mouth is the best for of advertisement, thats for sure.
You have to have the right attitude and the ability to make customers feel special and make a connection with them if you hope to have any repeat business. I have learned this from the restaurant business and I am doubly sure it applies to BBQ as well.
LIAR #100
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12 05 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love to make the customers feel special! Laughing
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12 05 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont doubt that for a second BBQMAN, you made the leap and it seems your not looking back. My hats off to you dude.
LIAR #100
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12 05 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roxy. While it hasn't always been easy, it has been rewarding! This looks to be a pretty good year for us. I started in the "backyard" just like everyone else, and have worked hard to make a go of it. Anything is possible, gotta just hang in there until things get off the ground Very Happy We will be competing for the first time at the Big Pig Jig this Fall in Georgia. Should be an interesting and fun time!
BBQ Billy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07 05 12:04 am    Post subject: Going through the same challenges in New York Reply with quote

I've been cooking for a few years and I'm gathering local health department information as well as local festivals and farmer's markets. I wouldn't think of quiting my day job until the day comes where I just can't justify doing both. I've seen people jump in with both feet and most times they ultimately don't make it but there are exceptions. Food establishments seem to come and go all the time but if you're realistic about the challenges and you're ready for what could happen (like having so much business you have to quit your regular job) then you're on a good track. Starting out with and maintaining a positive attitude is invaluable in all you do but its especially important for this type of life change!

Smile BBQ Man... Hello from a central Florida (Lake Wales) native... and no jokes about Polk County... OK?

BBQ Billy
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09 05 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome BBQ Billy! You will find a lot of great stuff here! If you are ever over our way, give us a call. Very Happy
gatorgrillin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12 05 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy BBQ Billy from the Florida Panhandle(Defuniak Springs). Cool
Farls

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I have been catering on the side for the past 5 years. My partner and I have not quit our day jobs. I must agree that a degree in rest. management would have taking a great deal of guess work and "goofs" out of the equation, but is not a "must have". I feel "at this point" the most important things to consider are:
Demographic....drunk guys are always the easiest to please
Logistics......can you get access to a kitchen, on site or off.. plan your preparation method, health dept rules are a town to town situation.
Menu......stick to what you offer!!! dont get caught up in the Al la carte trap
Pricing.....Our rule is basically, triple all expenses.....food, fuel, travel, labor,etc
Quality.....Great Q will take care of advertising all by itself. We havent spent a dime on advertising in 2 years.
Consistency.....Try to keep the same recipes, portions, and presentation if possible. Dont fix what isnt broke.
These are just what we seem to concern ourselves with mostly. Another very important thing to consider is to HAVE FUN. We are from New England, and up here "Q" is still a bit of a novelty. Our Smoker and the show we put on is still a very important aspect of what we offer. We pull our smoker right up to the job and make sure it is always puffing out sweet smoke. Even if there isnt anything cooking! I know its a bit counter productive at times, but we also let anyone that wants to take a look inside.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farls, great info! Marcia and I have family in Boothbay Harbor, ME. Have not seen much"Q" North of D.C.! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: