FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cambro vs. Ice chest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddante

PostPosted: Thu May 23 13 5:25 am    Post subject: Cambro vs. Ice chest Reply with quote

Anybody have any real experience with this? I am looking to maybe purchase a used Cambro for hold meat for competitions, and was wondering if it was worth it or to just use an ice chest,like i hear most do?? Do Cambro's hold the meat at temp longer etc....
thanks
NaughtyNurse
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 23 13 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both, I don't know that one works better than the other all things being equal. But:
Most Cambros have rails to hold sheet pans or hotel pans which is nice to seperate items. On the other hand, If I'm cooking a load of butts or briskets for catering I'll use an ice chest and just fill it up. Less air space means more heat retention.
KCBS CBJ
FEC-100, FE/PG1000, 22" WSM, Good-One Rodeo, Big Steel Keg
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 23 13 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like NN we have both and use them the same way, individual meats in the Cambro, bulk butts or briskets in the cooler.

I still work here!
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 31 13 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a cooler when that was all we had. But getting 1/2 pans into and out of a cooler can be a pain sometimes. As has been mentioned, the Cambro has rails to hold the pans and I can get more in the Cambro than I can in the cooler. But I also have one of the bigger Cambros. It can be really heavy when loaded so I strap the entire Cambro to a 4-wheel furniture dolly. That way I can roll the Cambro around easier.

The Cambro seems to hold the temps much longer than what I was getting from the cooler as well.

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: