FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oklahoma City... Help...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kory's Dad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14 10 3:06 am    Post subject: Oklahoma City... Help... Reply with quote

Anyone know of a great BBQ place in OKC??? My wife and I keep searching but just can't seem to find one that gets us all quivery...
Best I've found was North Main BBQ in Ft Worth, TX... That's just too far to go when I get a hankering...
2 dutch ovens
22" Weber Grill
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14 10 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess the question is what are you looking for?

Great? I don't know of many GREAT places in the whole U.S. that's a pretty strong word. Biggest problem is you CAN get great food, it just depends on timing. Like don't show up at 11:30 before the ribs are done if that's what you want.

Maybe some of the other OKC folks will jump in, I know they like to eat at some of the smaller places. I don't eat out a lot (just when work people come to town and the company picks up the bill) otherwise #1 is my favorite Cool

1. The best is at my house
2. Van Pig Stand (south of OKC in Norman) is good
3. Swadley's. Can be pretty good, but skip their chicken. They only do chicken breast and don't do that well.
4. Leo's has been featured on Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives. Depends on which day, some seem to be better than others
5. KC Blues and BBQ use to be one place I went a lot, but haven't been latelyCounty Line gets a lot of hype, it's a Texas Chain. Can be good, but not always
6. Steve's Rib. Love the stuffed baked potato.
7. Earl's you can skip
8. Oklahoma Station is average
9. Rib Crib. Skip, unless you want the all you can eat rib night for quantity
10. Billy Sim's. Local hero. I'm hearing better things, haven't eaten there
11. Rudy's. Texas Chain. Nice concept, food can be hit or miss. Also south of OKC in Norman.

Russ

p.s. I've mentioned this before, but I'll throw it out for those reading it. We need to try all the restaurants and rate them. Similar to how G.A.S. did the Kansas City Restaurants.
Kory's Dad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14 10 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russ... What we're looking for is somewhere we can go to taste the meat and have it be moist and memorable. I think it's kind of wrong to go to a bbq place and have the sides or the dessert be the stand out memory.

Haven't been to your house but I am partial to the stuff that comes out of my smoker.

- Van's - tried the one in Moore and one in Shawnee... Ribs were edible, chopped pork was terrible... they charge a lot and IMO quality is poor.
- Swadley's - in Moore is alright but you're right, the chicken is not. The store on 89th & Western was not good either time I went there.
- Leo's - Still need to go there... have heard mostly good but the reviews rave about the cake more than the bbq.
- Haven't been to KC Blues or Steve's Rib... have to get back with you on them.
- Earl's - Completely agree... never going back there again... just wrong!
- Oklahoma Station - Heard it's not worth what they charge.
- Rib Crib - ribs were dry and tough... pp was ok, not special, not worth the money IMO.
- Billy Sims - I've heard nothing special... and my perception is clouded by his ridiculous antics at the heisman ceremony and his constant "Boomer Sooner" call on his ads...
- Rudy's - haven't tried it because the chains have been very disappointing and haven't wanted to go through it again.

I agree that there needs to be some kind of rating system.
2 dutch ovens
22" Weber Grill
OSoSlow
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14 10 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here in Tulsa Billy Sim's is really pretty good for a new chain ( or any old chain...) Billy's antics didn't do the BBQ store or Oklahoma too much good that's for sure, but I'm not a fan of most places for BBQ here in town and when I can't or won't cook it's a trip to Billy's.... I'll say I'm not a fan of the beans or chopped beef or the links...for me it's the pulled and sliced and the turkey - the BBQ! Wink

Smokey Joes Caterer = 30x72 mobile living !
OSoSlow BBQ Team
CowboyCookers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16 10 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSoSlow wrote:
here in Tulsa Billy Sim's is really pretty good for a new chain ( or any old chain...) Billy's antics didn't do the BBQ store or Oklahoma too much good that's for sure, but I'm not a fan of most places for BBQ here in town and when I can't or won't cook it's a trip to Billy's.... I'll say I'm not a fan of the beans or chopped beef or the links...for me it's the pulled and sliced and the turkey - the BBQ! Wink

Leave it to a sooner to think Billy Sim's bbq is good! Laughing

Just messing with you, Bob. I've eaten there a couple of times and the food isn't too bad.....especially the pulled pork. However, I had to burn my clothes and take multiple showers to get that crimson funk off me! Laughing
OSoSlow
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16 10 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeremy ! what comps are you thinking about doing this year ? I know I'll do Bixby,Sallisaw,Art- if it happens...., Jenks,if...., probably not as many as last year it looks like. Crying or Very sad 'course, if I hit a GC or two Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing ok,ok...I crack myself up sometimes ! Wink

OSoSlow BBQ Team
CowboyCookers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17 10 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSoSlow wrote:
Hey Jeremy ! what comps are you thinking about doing this year ? I know I'll do Bixby,Sallisaw,Art- if it happens...., Jenks,if...., probably not as many as last year it looks like. Crying or Very sad 'course, if I hit a GC or two Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing ok,ok...I crack myself up sometimes ! Wink

Bixby for sure and the 2 IBCA comps (March 26-27 and August 20-21). Art and Jenks will just depend on what weekends they are. Football tailgating takes priority over comps! If neither of those will work for me, I'll probably try to do Sallisaw or Ada.

See you soon!
BlowinSmoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17 10 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy.....what did you burn the clothes with???!!! Must have been some strong stuff! Look forward to seeing you guys at the Legion in March!
----New Pigs On The Block BBQ---
www.greencountrychilibbqtoo.com

Cookshack FEC100
Hasty Bake Ranger
4 x Weber 22.5" Kettles
OSoSlow
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17 10 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, those IBCA's I'll try and shoot for-I like those local events, and the price is right !! Come on Spring !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OSoSlow BBQ Team
OKBBQEA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17 10 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinOkie wrote:
p.s. I've mentioned this before, but I'll throw it out for those reading it. We need to try all the restaurants and rate them. Similar to how G.A.S. did the Kansas City Restaurants.

Tried this... You showed up to the first one and Mark showed up to one other one. Other than that I was usually dining alone. Smile

Ok, getting this thread back on topic...... Pretty much any restaurant is going to be hit or miss occasionally. It's just inherent in restaurant Q due to having to hold the meat. We all know that BBQ is done when it's done. It doesn't get done early and it doesn't get done later. So if you manage to hit a Q joint just as they are pulling a fresh slab of ribs. Then you are going to probably eat some tasty ribs. If they have been holding them for an hour or so at a safe temperature. Well then they aren't going to be as good as they were an hour or so earlier when they came off the smoker.

With that said. Here are some of my favs in the OKC area.

OKC Area

Mr. Tees - Midwest City
Leo's - Downtown OKC
Mr. Spriggs - Midwest City
JT's - Del City
Dales BBQ House - SW OKC
Ray's Smokehouse - Norman

Outside of OKC

The Blue Pig - Ardmore, OK
Smokin' Joes - Davis, OK
Mud Creek Outpost - Ringling, OK
Stevenson's - Paul's Valley, OK
Big Fatties - Valley View, TX

And as has been stated many times before. None of these places are going to make Q as good as most of us make in our backyards but that's not where they are cooking and it's not fair to judge them based on what we do in our back yards. It's like comparing apples and asparagus.

Rating restaurant Q, much like competition Q, is subjective. There are several BBQ joints in the OKC area that I will never set foot in again but they have managed to stay in business for a lot of years. So they are apparently catering to their core customers.
14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain x2
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
R&O Smokers Fat Girl
Ludicrous Speed Red Thermapen
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18 10 6:34 am    Post subject: 122 OKC BBQ restaurants Reply with quote

Okay, color me amazed.

Saw this on another site, check it out.

It shows 122 BBQ restaurants in OKC (ok, take out the few chains, there still is a lot)

Looks like we'll have to meet weekly to get through the list.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/46/4505/Oklahoma-City/Barbecue-Restaurants
OKBBQEA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18 10 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL.... of the 10 listed for Norman I think about 3 are still in business.
14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain x2
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
R&O Smokers Fat Girl
Ludicrous Speed Red Thermapen
Blue Line Barbecue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28 10 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys are ever in the Purcell area I have opened a little place in a Conoco convenience store. I am open wed, thur and Friday from 1100am to 800pm. We are nothing big we can seat approximately 17 people. We average approximately 40 to 45 tickets a day. Well Friday we saw 65 tickets and sold 20 racks of ribs. That may not sound like a lot but the ribs were gone by 400pm. Come by and give us a try if you are in the area. We are located at 1731 N Green ave. Loyds Blue Line Barbecue.
Blue Line Barbecue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12 13 1:15 pm    Post subject: 3 years later Reply with quote

Well I posted this 3 years ago and thought we were busy. Now we serve 200 to 250 persons a day same location still only 17 seats. Our hours are still the same and are open on sunday also. I would never gotten this far without The Smoke ring and all the information on here and from everyone here. Thank you all. If anyone gets our way stop by and say hi. Robert.

Blue Line Barbecue wrote:
If you guys are ever in the Purcell area I have opened a little place in a Conoco convenience store. I am open wed, thur and Friday from 1100am to 800pm. We are nothing big we can seat approximately 17 people. We average approximately 40 to 45 tickets a day. Well Friday we saw 65 tickets and sold 20 racks of ribs. That may not sound like a lot but the ribs were gone by 400pm. Come by and give us a try if you are in the area. We are located at 1731 N Green ave. Loyds Blue Line Barbecue.

Blue Line Barbecue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12 13 1:16 pm    Post subject: 3 years later Reply with quote

Well I posted this 3 years ago and thought we were busy. Now we serve 200 to 250 persons a day same location still only 17 seats. Our hours are still the same and are open on sunday also. I would never gotten this far without The Smoke ring and all the information on here and from everyone here. Thank you all. If anyone gets our way stop by and say hi. Robert.

Blue Line Barbecue wrote:

bluedogok
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 20 13 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually try to go to Leo's when we are back in town visiting my family, I think the downtown one is closed but the NE 36th & Kelly location is back open. The last few times there (last summer) has been great. I have been going to Leo's since the mid-80's, they have had their ups and downs but has been pretty consistently good the past few years. Before I moved to Austin in 2003 I would get stuff from Oklahoma Station, it was pretty good and convenient to my house (I lived by Baptist Hospital). Steve's Rib is pretty good if you are up in the Edmond area. Earl's has a real good burger....

In Austin we went to Rudy's frequently since it was close by and consistent, when we had more time we would venture out to other places outside of Austin, especially on motorcycle rides. We are headed down to Rudy's in Colorado Springs today, not as good as the Austin locations but still pretty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: