FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tick/mosquito spray for the yard - suggestions ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N8DCJ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: May 16 2013    Post subject: tick/mosquito spray for the yard - suggestions ? Reply with quote

Here in central Ohio we have an increase in ticks this year due to the weather. I have found a couple of ticks on my clothing so far and have decided it might be a good idea to spray the yard. We live in the woods so it will be a constant battle.

Anyone have any experience ?

Dan
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: May 17 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go to Ebay and buy some Talstar. I started a thread on here recently about home insect control and it was recommended, I did some research and ended up getting it. Talstar is the stuff that is usually used by professionals. It is strong but it can be used inside and can be used inside food establishments etc. It is not too expensive, I bought a 3/4 gallon jug for about $35 but it only takes one ounce per gallon of water so it will last a long time.
The active ingredient is called bifenthrin (sp???). I looked at some Ortho products at Lowes and they have the same active ingredient. However it is .2% bifenthrin and the Talstar was either 6 or 7%, definitely should be more effective. I just sprayed around the foundation of my house a couple days ago so I can't tell you yet how well it worked.
N8DCJ
BBQ Super Fan

Flyin

Ok , thanks for the heads up I will do a little research into it ...

Dan
Briney Dave

I am a little west of you (less than an hour) and they are thick over here: I have never seen one in years past but the barn cats all had them this spring and I got one mowing along my creek

I will be sure to give that a try. I have free range chickens and worried about what would be safe to spray but I think I will just dump eggs for a week or two and call that good
N8DCJ
BBQ Super Fan

Dave

Where are you ? I am on the very far west side of Ontario/Lexington...

There was a guinea hen running around here last year , I have no idea where it came from , but , he is gone now.

But , I want to try and slow these critters down...

Dan
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: May 17 2013    Post subject: Re: tick/mosquito spray for the yard - suggestions ? Reply with quote

N8DCJ wrote:
Here in central Ohio we have an increase in ticks this year due to the weather. I have found a couple of ticks on my clothing so far and have decided it might be a good idea to spray the yard. We live in the woods so it will be a constant battle.

Anyone have any experience ?

Dan

Yup. Been pickin' 'em off me for years. All part of the ambiance at the farm Wink

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

There is no such thing as too much onion.

I'm NOT liar #94. I swear!
Briney Dave

I am pretty darn close to Fremont, Oh (closer than I want to be)

While we have chickens most years and at one time (100 or so years ago) this was a full blown farm. we are just a hobby family farm and 4H

I am sure there have always been a small number along the tall grass areas but never as bad as this year has been
tacklebox
BBQ Super Pro

Check into permethrin. I bought a gallon for $100.00 at my local feed mill, but you dilute it so far that a gallon will last years. Some of the applications on fruit trees only call for one ounce per two acres of trees. It works well on both ticks and mosquitoes.
Twisted Evil Pompous Ass Bigoted LIAR #69 Twisted Evil
Briney Dave

tacklebox wrote:
Check into permethrin. I bought a gallon for $100.00 at my local feed mill, but you dilute it so far that a gallon will last years. Some of the applications on fruit trees only call for one ounce per two acres of trees. It works well on both ticks and mosquitoes.

thanks a bunch for the tip: a bit pricey but it will be worth the money to knock those buggers down.

Where do you think the best place is to check to make sure this stuff is safe around the hens ???
millstream
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: May 18 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Cornell, it's hen safe. Unless you inject it in their veins...

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/metiram-propoxur/permethrin-ext.html
GF
BBQ Super Pro

Briney Dave, The maufacturer of whatever chemical you want has to have a MSDS available for that product. You can usually get them downloaded from thier site.

You'll get more info. than you could ever understand but, you should be able to find what you need. Wink

They almost always list a 800 # if you want additional info.
Briney Dave

good call thanks guys
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: May 23 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good. We were starting to get ants in our house so last Sunday I went outside and again sprayed around the first 3 foot off the ground all the way around. I then went into my crawl space and sprayd the entire perimeter from the ground up. I also sprayed good on all braces and vents. I then mixed up 10 gallons in my pull behind and made two laps around the yous getting coverage about 10 feet out. So far the ants are now gone. We will see how long it last.
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Jun 04 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update you guys. So far I am pleased with this insecticide. After I sprayed (detailed above) it took about 2-3 days but I quit seeing the ants in my house. I also have not seen any of the little black spiders that I was seeing all over the siding of my house. Not sure how long the residule will last but I don't have a problem taking an hour or so every month or two to help keep the critters down. i would definitely recommend the Talstar.
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Jun 04 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this! Looks like I'm gonna hunt down Talstar and permethrim pro for myself!

I have no words for the amount of hatred I have for the tiny buggers that frequent the perimeter of my house.
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Jun 05 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from Ebay. Do a search for Talstar and or Bifen. Bifen is the generic form I think but has the same active ingredient. It is like 7.9%. The Ortho home defense max I checked at Lowes had the same active ingredient, only it was 0.05% so that shows you how week the stuff is. I think the bottle I got was either 96 oz or 3/4 gallon but it was around $35.00. It only takes one OZ per gallon so a bottle that size will last a long time.
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

lantern wrote:
Thanks for this! Looks like I'm gonna hunt down Talstar and permethrim pro for myself!

I have no words for the amount of hatred I have for the tiny buggers that frequent the perimeter of my house.

John deere landscape supply carries it, or it is in their catalog anyway.
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

I immediately hit amazon for this. The gallon sprayer will be here today and the talstar and permethrin will be here monday. Whoop whoop! gonna kill me some tiny flying bugs! And give a little payback to the spiders that think its funny to put web ziplines right into the eyes of somebody just cause they're 6'7"! Wink
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

lantern wrote:
I immediately hit amazon for this. The gallon sprayer will be here today and the talstar and permethrin will be here monday. Whoop whoop! gonna kill me some tiny flying bugs! And give a little payback to the spiders that think its funny to put web ziplines right into the eyes of somebody just cause they're 6'7"! Wink

Laughing Laughing I did the same thing...cost was $43 but with FREE shipping!! Mine should be here by Monday as well. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: