FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jerkey HELP!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike821

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 6:49 am    Post subject: Jerkey HELP! Reply with quote

Hello all...I have a UDS and I fired it up to smoke some jerkey. I started the smoker and it was holding at 130deg. I put on my jerkey and opened the air intake to increase the heat. I wanted 150-160deg as I read this is a good temp to smoke jerkey. (This is my first time smoking jerkey) I walked away from the smoker to enjoy some jack and a few rolling rocks. Before you know it about a hour and a half went by and I looked at the smoker....I should know better, but I made a mistake. The smoker was still at 130deg. Am I still OK or am I flirting with getting sick? The smoker is now at 150deg. and holding temp. Your help is much appriciated. Thanks all!
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Mike.
First question is, did you use Cure #1 in your marinate?
We can better answer your question.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Mike821

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead.....thanks for the response.

First off I would like to thank you for your service.

OK...I marinated the meet overnight using lea n Perrins, soy, cider vin, pineapple juice, honey, agave syrup, and habanero hot sauce.

I did not use cure.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, you should have been at least 150 in the smoker.
I have done a "Hot" cook once and didn't like the results.
Max smoker temp is 180.
You need to get the meat temp above 140 within 4 hours.
If you want to do it like you planned, then you need to use a cure. #1 or TenderQuick.

Jarhead's World Blog
Mike821

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like I waisted $30 of london broil.....dang it. I just hung the meat and dropped it in. I did not bring the meat up to 160 as some folks do. What do you think...toss it?
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basic smoking requires a cure of some kind to do the lower temps...I know there are some on here that will say..."heck I bin eaten meat with not cure for years....bahhh."

but I dont like to get sick....for long low smoke..use cure...temp for me is bout 120 to 140 for smoking...
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike821 wrote:
sounds like I waisted $30 of london broil.....dang it. I just hung the meat and dropped it in. I did not bring the meat up to 160 as some folks do. What do you think...toss it?

40-140 is your danger zone where all of the nasties grow. That's why you need to get it above 140 IT within that time.
How long has it been in the zone?
If it is still safe, then you could chop it, toss in a skillet, fry and package. Use it in omlets, tacos, etc.
Edit: Just went back and read your post.
Quote:
Before you know it about a hour and a half went by and I looked at the smoker....I should know better, but I made a mistake. The smoker was still at 130deg. Am I still OK or am I flirting with getting sick? The smoker is now at 150deg. and holding temp.

Sounds like you might be OK.

Jarhead's World Blog

Last edited by Jarhead on Sun Apr 21 13 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

when you do jerky, the trick is to remove moisture from the meat without actually cooking it.

To do this safely, it should be first cured properly through the use of a curing agent containing Sodium Nitrite. The easiest way for a home producer working with small amounts is to get some "Morton's Tender Quick" and use about 1TBS per each pound of meat, sprinkle that on the meat slices and let it do its work for at least 24 hours, rinse well, then dry it in your pit at temperatures under 120'ish.

I suggest the only seasoning you start with is salt & black pepper. apply this with your tender quick, and rinse it all off before drying. If you want some flavor variations, add some other things to see which way it turns out. You may be surprised at how good it is with just simple seasoning.

The active ingredient in cure does many things, first and foremost it helps make the meat safe to be at those temps, it also sets the color of the meat, and it changes the texture of the meat.
Plenty of people have done exactly what you have done, eaten the product, and suffered no ill effects. But the environment you are putting the raw meat in is a perfect environment to propagate bacteria that can make you ill, and if there is no oxygen in that environment (like inside a charcoal fueled smoker) you actually create the perfect place for C. Botulinum to produce toxic spores and do more than get you sick.

One other mistake is for people to use too much cure, and that is also toxic. So that's why I suggest Tender Quick when working with batch weights of under 5 pounds.
Mike821

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a crap shoot at this point. Throwing out $30 of beef is a real somebitch. I am going to take the shure bet and toss it. I learned a lesson the hard way. At least my jack and rolling rocks are cold. Thanks guys!!!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike821 wrote:
It is a crap shoot at this point. Throwing out $30 of beef is a real somebitch. I am going to take the shure bet and toss it. I learned a lesson the hard way. At least my jack and rolling rocks are cold. Thanks guys!!!

Fry it up, use it in soup, do something with it that takes it over 200 degrees to kill any nasties that you may have created.
Mike821

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea.... but I just rememberd I had a small 1" x 1" strip when I opened the lid. It fell when I lifted the meat out on the table. I ate it...Jackass I am. I am thinking now I am in a possible world of crap. Ahhh....I get the bone head of the week award. We will see if I am alive tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: