FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the best beef brisket method?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KennyK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17 13 3:03 am    Post subject: What is the best beef brisket method? Reply with quote

Howdy all,
So I got a great price on a 16lb brisket (>$2lb) and now I want to smoke it... I have never done one before. I even got a great price (I think) on some Royal Oak lump charcoal (~$10 for 17lb bag). I will probably cut it in half to help with speed... I could really use some opinions on how best to do this - here's what I believe to be my best method:
1. rub that sucker down and fridge overnite
2. use minion method with charcoal (Weber 22.5" smoker) to 225 degrees, I am liking cherry wood lately so will use that
3. fat side UP
4. about 1 hour per pound
5. reach final internal temp of 190 (pull off at 175 and wrap in foil for 30 mins)
6. slice it up (any tips here?)
7. yield about 8lbs meat

That's my plan, smokers... I am nervous because I am taking it to a softball tournament and all the judging parents will be eating it - my first time - and I want to ROCK that sucker!

Thanks all, I WELCOME all your input, tips and debate.

KennyK
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17 13 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just my opinion, there may well be as many opinions as there are posters to this thread.

Trim you brisket of most of it's fat, including chasing the vein of fat between the point and the flat, if you really chase that fat layer you will separate the point and flat.

I don't rub and refrigerate, I rub and put it on the pit.

If you are using a WSM you are likely to use more charcoal than just 10lbs to cook a full packer, (if you cooked it whole).

Rub them both down, and put the flat on the bottom rack of your WSM once the temperatures are running stably, put the point on the top rack, so that lays over the flat and can baste the flat as you cook them both.

You might want to contain the fire inside a smaller fire ring, keeping the charcoal together increases the available cooking time and temperature!

Fire it up and cook away, weigh the flat and guestimate 1 1/4 hours per lb, + 1 1/2 hours extra, and you'll be some where at about the right sort of time for it.

Don't cook it to time though, cook it until it is tender, this is why I suggested a little more time than you already had, and I'd take it until a probe slips in and out without sticking, sometimes as high as 210° internal.

The flat should finish first, depending on the size, weight and especially the thickness, the point will need an extra 1.5 - 2 hours to get to the same level of tenderness.

Once it's cooked, double wrap in foil, and hold is a cooler covered and wrapped in towels. Hold the flat until the point is cooked. Cut and cooked this way you are probably going to yield around the 50% mark, if you could cook it all together more lightly trimmed of fat, you can get into the low 60%'s.

Once you arrive and take it out of the cooler, open up the foil so you can allow the steam out, let it rest 20 minutes before you put a very sharp graton blade through it ts slice it.

See disclaimer below!

I still work here!
1MoreFord
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17 13 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny,

My $0.02. I'd cook hotter than 225° unless you like the extra beer time. No lower than 250-275° for me. Pay attention to the Bear. 190° won't likely be done. You don't cook brisket to temp or time. They are guidelines at best. You cook it until it probes tender.
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17 13 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers.

I do pretty much the same as SoEzzy.

Light the coals
Stabilize temp
Trim fat
Rub
Put it on the fire fat cap down till 190º
Start giving it the poke test it till it's done
Wrap it
Rest it
Slice it

No foiling, no injection,
KennyK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17 13 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome responses, thank you all so very much. As a novice, I try to play 'bigger' than my experience so your input is very much appreciated! Okay, a follow up: it appears I'll have to finish smoking on Friday night, then keep overnight and head out to ball fields around 8am, eating around 11:30am...

Willing to provide more assistance on how I should keep and reheat for the next day? Do I slice first, then refridge, or wait until the morning?

Thanks again, all...
KK
CaptJack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17 13 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't slice until you serve to the eater
sliced brisket drys out
why they don't slice it at the BBQ joint until they serve you
KennyK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20 13 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brisket is OUT of the smoker! Currently wrapped and resting. I went ahead and used the crutch method (seemed easiest for us novices) and the good news is I have a ton of juices left over. I've got most of the fat off already...

So... au jus recipes anyone, or just straight back onto the meat?

Thanks you guys, I'll figure out how to put photos up someday.

KennyK

I love animals... they are delicious.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20 13 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a fat separator... use that to separate the fat from the juice, retain the juice to go back on the meat.

If you don't have a fat separator, (but you have 45 minutes time available), put the juice into a cold pan, then pop the pan in the freezer for 20 - 30 minutes, the fat will chill and solidify in 30 minutes, take the pan out of the freezer, pull the layer of fat off the top.

Then warm up the other juices to go back into the foil. If you are going to be able to slice at the game, I would do that, but if you don't then slice it at home, put it back into the pan, cover with the warmed juice, lid, and put into a warmed cooler surrounded by towels, head for the game!

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: