FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A question on A-Maze-N Pellet smokers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
millstream
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04 13 9:57 pm    Post subject: A question on A-Maze-N Pellet smokers Reply with quote

So I bought an A-Maze-N 6X6 tray smoker, and when I use it to burn their dust it works just fine. I ran out of dust so I filled it with my Lumber Jack pellets but they won's stay lit. I went back to the A-Maze-N website and read the 6x6 tray smoker will not burn pellets, but they sell one that looks almost identical that will? Here's a link:

http://www.amazenproducts.co/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

I can't see any real difference between the two. I guess my question is this: Can you burn regular grilling pellets in a smoke tray, or do you have to buy their pellets to use? I can't imagine only "their" pellets will work, as I assume wood is wood. I hate to buy another tray smoker only to find my pellets are the reason they won't stay lit.

Thanks-Scott
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04 13 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Scott,
Your link doesn't work, I corrected it below.
I have the AMNTS-18 which burns only pellets.
The AMNS 6x6 will only burn dust, according to their website.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12
Quote:
AMNS 6x6 produces smoke for up to 8 hours on 4 oz (2 cups) of A-MAZE-N-DUST.

**BONUS = AMNS 6x6 Incl. 1 lb. bag of Hickory A-MAZE-N-DUST!!

The AMNS 6x6 Does Not Burn Pellets

If you want to burn both dust and pellets, then you need the AMNPS. It's 5x8.
I don't have problems with brand of pellets. Make sure you tent them to keep liquids out. You will end up with pellet-crete if they get moist. (don't ask) Wink
It looks like the channels are a lot smaller for dust only smoker. I wish I could answer your question, but have no idea.
You probably need to get ahold of Todd for an explanation.
Good luck.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
millstream
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04 13 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gunny. Looks like I missed the "m" in .com.

In a reply you made earlier, you had a post where you took a #10 can and made a smoke generator out of it. I tried that also and still couldn't keep the pellets lit. I even put a charcoal brickette in the bottom but it only smoked 'till the brickette burnt out. I had it in a Mak Pellet grill which was set to smoke, so maybe their wasn't enough oxygen in there to keep the pellets lit?

My pellets have been sitting around since last summer, but they are sealed, up on a pallet and in a heated garage. They wouldn't pick up any more moisture than what's in the air... Question

Thanks-Scott
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04 13 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, the #10 can won't work with pellets. Done tried it. It only likes chips and chunks with 3 or 4 lit briquettes.
A smaller can, like a 28 oz tomato can, might work.
Just make sure it can get plenty of air. Holes in the bottom and about 1" up on the side. I'd say 3 or 4 in the bottom and spaced around the can every 2". MAYBE???

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05 13 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott

I've not had much success using non-Amazen pellets or non-amazen dust (sawdust) in my amazens. It's a pain to babysit & interrupts the whole smoking process, so I decide to just use the stuff Todd sells on his site. With any of these smokers, good airflow is critical.

I have the 6x8 dust smoker, the 5x8 pellet smoker, and just added the 18" pellet tube.
The tube works great—particularly in my MB gas smoker (low oxygen/air flow environment)...

Kevin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: