FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easter Pulled Pork

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31 13 8:54 am    Post subject: Easter Pulled Pork Reply with quote

Not everyone in our household enjoys the roast leg of lamb (plenty of garlic & rosemary Very Happy) we'll be serving on Easter. So to provide a nice alternative, I decided to throw a nice 5 pound pork shoulder into the smoker in order to serve pulled pork sandwiches.

First I gave the shoulder a good rub-down with spices and then it was into a 225°F smoker.
I'm using for the first time my new A-maze-n tube smoker. I loaded it with a blend of pellets and it should provide a steady stream of smoke for 7-8 hours. It seems to work especially well in my masterbuilt—which is low in oxygen flow inside making it often problematic to keep steady output of smoke.

Pork about 5 hours into the 3 cook...

Smells great so far......

Kevin
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31 13 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far, Kev. Make sure to post finished pics.

BTW, why ya' lookin'? Wink

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

There is no such thing as too much onion.

I'm NOT liar #94. I swear!
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01 13 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrunkPlumber wrote:

BTW, why ya' lookin'? Wink

DP, sorry—the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. Wink

So this ol' shoulder took a good deal longer to hit 190°F than anticipated. It hit the 174°F mark & stalled for a while. After nearly 11.5 hours, it hit 185°F so I pulled it, wrapped it in saran & foil & let it continue to rest & ride up to 190°F.
Last night pic of the finished shoulder:

Next day, time for some shredding:
It pulled rather easy without too much give (no rubbery-ness). Great tasting bark and evident smoke ring.

Taste? Very sweet meat & the rub gives it a nice KICK! Moist and smokey, add a dab of your favorite BBQ sauce & this should make some killer Easter PP sandwiches!

Kevin

zski
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02 13 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, how did the tube smoker work for you? Did it give some extra smoke flavor? I have one I use in my traeger, so far it has done a decent job.

By the way, delicious looking pork.

Traeger 075
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03 13 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zski wrote:
Kevin, how did the tube smoker work for you? Did it give some extra smoke flavor? I have one I use in my traeger, so far it has done a decent job.

Thanks, Zski! I was really impressed with the new tube smoker. Unlike the other 2 A-maze-ns I've used (pellet & dust), this tube remained lit for the duration. It produced an ample amount of smoke that imbued a sweet, smokey taste to the pork (no harshness nor bitterness), and left a rather generous smoke ring under the bark. The smoke lasted about 7 hours in a 225-235°F environment. So, yeah, I'm quite happy with it after it's first use. Very Happy

Kevin
SauceBoss
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03 13 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great!!
zski
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03 13 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin P wrote:
zski wrote:

Thanks, Zski! I was really impressed with the new tube smoker. Unlike the other 2 A-maze-ns I've used (pellet & dust), this tube remained lit for the duration. It produced an ample amount of smoke that imbued a sweet, smokey taste to the pork (no harshness nor bitterness), and left a rather generous smoke ring under the bark. The smoke lasted about 7 hours in a 225-235°F environment. So, yeah, I'm quite happy with it after it's first use. Very Happy

Kevin

Good to hear. I have even used mine post cook. I did some chicken and chuck roast, and afetr I had it all pulled, i threw them back in smoker in a pan (since tube smoker still had some pellets in it), for about 20 minutes to pick up some extra smoke flavor. Not too bad.

Traeger 075
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: