FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New electric oven - temp question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enduro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19 13 12:19 am    Post subject: New electric oven - temp question Reply with quote

We recently bought a new electric oven and am curious as to your thoughts. I used my Maverick ET-73's to check the actual temps inside the new purchase and was surprised to see the temperature fluctuation inside.

When the temperature is set at say 350 degrees, the oven comes to temp with no problems, but then cools down 50 degrees or more before heating back up to the set temperature. Is this a common occurance, and am I being too critical? I can hold tighter tolerances than that on the stickburner and had always assumed that an electric oven would be more stable...but I had never checked the old one.

Thanks for any input.
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19 13 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, it is. Cheaper ovens will be less steady than more expensive ones. With some ovens you can tweak the settings to keep the range more narrow, but it is almost impossible to not have any change at all. I suspect that is why old recipes always need a little more time in the oven. In the old days people kept a vigil and stoked the fire to keep temps even much like you do while smoking.

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Basset Hound
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19 13 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our old house we had double wall ovens. The oven on top had a large thick pizza stone in it and the temperature seemed to be more steady than the oven below that was without. I should note that the lower oven was our primary oven so it could just be the element was more worn. My rudimentary understanding of physics (and a Good Eats episode) would lead me to believe that there is some merit to the stone. I would be interested in knowing what it did to your oven.

B.H.

Primo Oval XL
Changeling
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19 13 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an electric oven that exibited the same problem.

It is a Maytag that I bought when a company was going out of business. I complained to the manufactuer to no avail.

I was talking to a woman and explaining my problem when she just smiled and said buy a thick pizza stone cover it in aluminum foil (keep clean), put it on the stoves botom shelf and your problems wil be gone.

I did what she said, and haven't had any more problems whatsoever.
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19 13 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro, you should pose your question to K.A.M., as I am fairly certain he is the only ringer than actually owns one. Wink

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

There is no such thing as too much onion.

I'm NOT liar #94. I swear!
Changeling
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19 13 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an electric oven that exibited the same problem.

It is a Maytag that I bought when a company was going out of business. I complained to the manufactuer to no avail.

I was talking to a woman and explaining my problem when she just smiled and said buy a thick pizza stone cover it in aluminum foil (keep clean), put it on the stoves botom shelf and your problems wil be gone.

I did what she said, and haven't had any more problems whatsoever.
1MoreFord
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19 13 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow a double post with a drunk plumber in the middle. Kinda a sandwich Twisted Evil
enduro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19 13 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I've contacted the store that I bought the oven from and have only gotten the runaround from a salesman so far. Will try again, this time with the service department.

I'll also try the pizza stone fix. I totally agree with the heat retention and stabilization aspect, however in my completely uneducated opinion it seems more like an issue of when the sensors tell the element to turn on and off. I don't know, but maybe there's a reason it's programmed this way.

This is a mid to higher end residential unit, not a commercial oven by any means. Hopefully it can just be reprogrammed. Maybe this is as good as it'll get. We'll see.
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20 13 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1MoreFord wrote:
Wow a double post with a drunk plumber in the middle. Kinda a sandwich Twisted Evil
Twisted Evil

Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20 13 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a pizza stone in the bottom will help hold temps at the risk of slowing down the initial heat up.

Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: