FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MY kids and their cell phones...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06 13 11:50 pm    Post subject: MY kids and their cell phones... Reply with quote

After Tony (Mr Tony's BBQ) posted about kids (his catering help) gave him grief about having to leave their cell phones in the car while working reminded me of my own kids....

My wife and I have 5 grown kids between us and all have significant others and tons of friends all (somewhat) eager to make $100 bucks for a half day work.

Well, those same young adults, have CELL PHONES and can't seem to be a second with out it in their hands either reading texts or posting texts..

Naturally it didn't take long before I made the same rule Tony did...Leave cell phones in vehicle!!

The worst story is when our own girls come to visit us at home, they spent more time on their phones than visiting with us. Shocked

It came to a head one evening when both girls (in their 20's) were over for dinner (showing up 5 mins AFTER we said dinner would be on the table) and they were sitting at the table sending texts to EACH OTHER!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

From that day forward I put a box by the front door and they were REQUIRED to put phones in the box as they entered our house. Wink

Anyone else have such stories/problems??
TX727
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07 13 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s amazing how technology and the problems it can create carry over to ANY age, lol.

In the warehouse here at work we have 6 grown men (ages 24-45) that all have phones of course. For months they have used them while working and pulling orders to text, make/take calls, listen to whatever music they may have, etc…

While doing inventory a couple of months back (we pair off in teams to count) I made a comment to our VP that for day 2 could we please have the guys turn the phones off while we count….SO WE CAN FINISH COUNTING with no distractions, lol. She did one better and basically did the same thing.

There is a box now located in the warehouse office where they all must put the phones before heading out for the workday. Break time hits now and these guys are like wolverines getting to their phones like they will miss something so traumatic and it must be handled now. Before it started they were asked to make sure friends/family knew the main office # here in case of any emergencies.

But they still run to those phones thinking something is on there that will end the world if they don’t take care of it, lol.

Proud member of the "Easy Bake Oven and Old Milwaukee Club™" since 2013
----------------------------------------
Weber 1 touch gold 22.5-Big Blue
MES 30" Digital
Manana
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07 13 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came in to the living room one day to find my 13 year old talking with one friend on her cell, another on ipod touch face talk and another on her laptop and chores and homework had not been done. She went 2 weeks without any of them AND DIDN'T DIE as she thought she would and is now limited to 2 hours a night after homework and chores. Also they are put up while visitors are here, at mealtimes and in restaurants.
The artist formerly known as Liar #95
(until beertooth whined) NOW Liar #96
Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/SFB
Char-Griller Akorn Kamado
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07 13 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it seems like these idiots can't put their 'smart' phones down for for 30 seconds Twisted Evil . "I might miss something important". I say BS Laughing . Our kids are grown and on their own, but if they come over for dinner or we go out somewhere NO PHONES at the table. NO EXCEPTIONS! Yeah, I'm an old crotchety b@st@rd about it, but I don't care what they think Laughing Laughing .

They can't imagine a world without 24/7 communication. I remember the days of corded phones and no cell phones/caller ID/answering machines/voice mail/texting/ithis/ithat. Hell, if I didn't want to answer the phone I let it ring!!! Laughing Laughing
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07 13 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant believe how many times I have ARGUED with these "kids" [one is 45] ...They actually have the nerve to say "but you have yours" .....Mine is used to take phone orders and process credit cards, without it they DONT GET PAID! Right after we had the conversation Marv, I went on fleebay to order a sign for the trailer door - the red circle with line thru a cell phone - if it becomes a problem this year, the hot grease bucket for the Lang is right next to the door - THAT will be the "box" I put theirs in!! Shocked Very Happy
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07 13 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony, you're not alone with the cell phone problems. Sad
Most, if not all contractors I have worked for in the past 4-5 yrs. have a written "cell phone policy" you have to sign when hiring on.
No personal calls except at coffee break or lunch time, sadly they have to explain texting also counts. Shocked

Good luck with your upcoming season and your staff's phone issues. Very Happy
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08 13 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My older daughter is like that. My younger one is more like me, the phone spends most of it's life in my pocket. I stream music on the train during my commute to relax. I occasionally look something up when I think of it. I send a text when it is more convenient to do so than call. I am a gadget guy, but have no idea how to send a tweet, nor do I want to learn. Facebook is to keep in touch (minimal touch) with high school friends whom live far away and are otherwise out of my life. If I forget my phone at home, the only panic I feel is what is there is an emergency and I can't find the elusive payphone. I really do not understand why some people go into a panic if they have to put it down for 15 minutes.

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Changeling
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08 13 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up untill April 2008 I had been hit in the rear 15 times in the rear in 5 years.
On April 8, 2008 I finally was run into by a guy on a cell phone that did permanent damage to my spine!
I have to live with pain for the rest of my life because of that AH! I could tell of instances that would curl your hair!

After the above date I started slowing down (foot off the gass, sometimes using the brake) on any body that approached me from the rear close enough I could see they were on a cell phone (riding my ass) to the lowest speed I could till they stopped. If they didn't stop I just continued at a very low speed! They know what they are doing, they just don't give a dam!

It has really helped around here but it is still very bad!!!!!!!

Anyone that doesn't like this, well that is just to dam bad! You're probably one of those AH's who ride peoples bumpers.
Pissed off, you are absolutely RIGHT!!
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08 13 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changeling I am sorry for your pain and you certainly have a right to be angry and frustrated.

I know there is no age limit nor gender to cell phone usage and driving but I personally have known 6 young ladies (18-25) that have been killed driving while texting.

Driving and cell phone usage...It is a sad, sad thing for sure. But I have personally witnessed drivers putting on makeup, reading a book, newspaper, map. You name it, I think I have seen it at least once.. Shocked Shocked
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11 13 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had lunch with friends a while ago. They both put their phones by their plates.

Mention something. They have to pick up their phones to look it up.

Mention a movie. The pick up their phone to see when it is on and set their DVR from the table.

Talking about something. Have to show us pictures on their phone.

Told my wife I don't want to lunch with them again.
Changeling
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12 13 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are being honest, thanks for that!
I totally agree with everything you have said!

A good friend of mine owns a body repair shop, he has fixed all my rear end collisions. I stopped by his shop a while ago and we were talking about (collisions and his business), he told me that the majority of all his collision business was from people running into other peoples rear end!!!!!

Geronimo, This is where I don't agree, most of all the car length or less bumper riders are women, usually young or trying to be!

I am terribly sorry to hear that you had some young lady friends killed while texting, that is a terrible thing to happen!

The BIG QUESTION is WHY/HOW can they be so stupid to not realise what they the Hell they are doing to themselves and others!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: