FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold smoked salmon question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27 12 3:35 am    Post subject: Cold smoked salmon question. Reply with quote

Hey guys! So I've been making gravlox for many years, cured with a sugar/salt mix and wrapped with a whole bunch of fresh dill, some rough cracked pepper, and a shot or so of vodka/gin/aquavit. That part I've got down pretty well but I had a question about cold smoking it. Is it safe to cold smoke a salmon that has been cured this way or does it require the addition of pink salt? I've read a few recipes and most suggest freezing the fish first to kill any parasites, curing, then smoking. Is this safe cold smoking salmon when it is sitting in the "danger zone" temps?

I plan on smoking it for several hours when I do my batch of vanilla bourbon bacon that I've got curing. I will use sugar maple for my smoke. Also, should I omit the dill for my cure? Not sure how it will taste combined with smoke. Maybe cure it with the addition of some maple syrup? What does the group think? Thanks!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27 12 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47579

I still work here!
SlicTrix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28 13 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComradeQ

My thought is when I make lox, I always step outside of the box and finely mince my dill While I use 4 cups of water in a dutch oven cooker on my stove and bring it to a boil and add my kosher salt then removing the cooker from the burner and add the minced dill just before I put the cooker into my freezer to cool down and once cool to my touch but not cold. I remove my cooker and pour the brine into a 1 gallon freezer bag and add my salmon filets. The rest is history as in refridgerate 48 hrs then remove and rinse and vacuum seal and refridgerate for 24 hrs and then slice and enjoy. Neat huh

Not Really the sodium from the kosher salt preserves that salmon for 4 to 6 months max. Within an edible range with out getting sick. Remember salt pork, that chit was soaked in salt water vats for months but they still got sick on it, sure it stopped scurvy but the meat had no real proteins or carbs.

To cut to the chase here use instacure#1 at 1 gram to a pound of meat and use my brine to soak your stuff in for at least 24hrs or more and then you won't poison anyone least yourself.
By The Way brines work for almost every kind of thing even cold smokin cheese. But thats another day and a new lesson for you tomarrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: