FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Busy Bee Cafe-Defuniak Springs, FL(1.25hr East of Pensacola)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18 08 11:27 pm    Post subject: Busy Bee Cafe-Defuniak Springs, FL(1.25hr East of Pensacola) Reply with quote

Busy Bee Cafe does not appear to be a BBQ place, because there's no smoke coming out. However, their smoke pork is excellent, among some of the best I've had. Their sauce is very unique. I'd rate this place as the best if not one of the best I've tried in the Panhandle. I highly recommend.
This place is a don't miss.

It is downtown. Take 331 exit north. Turn right on 90. Turn right at Triangle Chevrolet. It's less than a block North.

Last edited by dabaxter on Thu Feb 12 09 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18 08 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm correct, gatorgrillin (a member here) owns it. I think...
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18 08 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him I said his BBQ is almost so good, it could tempt someone to eat it off of a gas station restroom toilet seat.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19 08 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabaxter wrote:
Tell him I said his BBQ is almost so good, it could tempt someone to eat it off of a gas station restroom toilet seat.

Would that be before or after it has been "processed" Confused Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Glad to hear that the food was good- yes gatorgrillin is a member here. Very Happy
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19 08 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep goin east on Hwy 90 and turn left onto Hwy 77 (you're in Chipley.) Go about 14 or 15 miles north on 77 into Graceville. Southern Country BBQ is on the left between a gas station and a liquor/lottery store. It's real hickory-smoked stuff. No offense to Gatorgrillin, but I haven't had the opportunity to try his pork. I know the folks that own the place in Graceville (I should, I grew up there) and they know their Q. Give it a try next time you're up that way.

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19 08 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing....order 2 pieces of their strawberry shortcake. 1 for you and 1 for me.

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
gatorgrillin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23 08 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dabaxter. Nice of you to write that. I go thru a LOT of pork each day and the amounts are growing. I smoke the meats and My wonderful wife makes the sauce from scratch. We have not been able to be a traditional BBQ joint because of our location. But there is good news. We are moving 2 blocks away were I will have room to put a full blow outdoor smoker. It is a larger place and seats more folks. It is at the intersection of hiway 83 and hiway 90 in Defuniak Springs.
Again, thank you so much fior the kind words. Let mary know the next time you are in and I am sure she can find some peach cobbler with Blue Bell ice cream for ya Very Happy
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 08 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of all of the places I've tried in South Alabama and the Florida Panhandle, yours is my favorite. That's saying a lot, because I am very picky about BBQ!
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 08 6:33 am    Post subject: Busy Bee is now Smokin J's Reply with quote

I stopped by the Busy Bee this week and they were closed. I called their number. They moved to the corner of Hwy 83 and Hwy 90 and reopened as Smokin J's Cafe. The food is the same. It wasn't quite as good as I remembered, but still amongst my favorites and better than almost any other place in the area by far. I'd recommend dumping the kaiser roll on the pulled pork sandwich in favor of a sesame seed bun. Their meat is smoky, but I can't put my finger on what wood they are using. It is definetly not pecan. Their sauce is still top notch.
gatorgrillin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01 09 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baxter.... I use oak as my smoke on all my meats. I am from Texas and grew up with oak smoked meats. I sometimes toss in a little hickory on the ribs but mainly oak. Next time you drop in,let me know you are there. I would love to meet a new forum member.
I leave in the morning to drive to Austin,TX for a quik biz trip. I will be stopping in some of the best BBQ joints in Texas(Giddings,Luling,Elgin,Taylor). I really want to see how my Brisket matches up. I miss that texas sausage and might try selling some at my place. Just thinking about it though. It dosent see than sausage is really that big of a deal over here in Florida. Your thoughts??
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 09 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big sausage fan and personally would never order it. I'm not a huge fan of brisket either. I prefer pork, chicken, or ribs.
gatorgrillin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 09 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baxter,next time you are in town the brisket is on the house. Let me know you are in the dinning room and I will change your mind about the brisket Very Happy
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 13 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, after this place became Smokin J, it went out of business.
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26 13 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The economy gets the best of them. It doesn't really affect the Sonny's and the Famous Dave's, though. I take that back....I'm sure it does, but it's always the little guy that gets the axe first.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: