FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just hit up 4 spots in the Carolinas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoky Bro
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24 13 11:27 pm    Post subject: Just hit up 4 spots in the Carolinas Reply with quote

Did a 2 week road trip to FL and hit up the following places...

Skylight Inn (Ayden, NC)
Totally worth the hype - by far the best pork bbq I have ever had. Perfectly seasoned, perfectly smoked, lots of little crunchy bits, served with a sweet white slaw & really dense (but good) cornbread.

Jackson's Big Oak (Wilmington, NC)
Pork & chicken was good but not great, not any smoke flavor at all, ribs were grey and overdone to the point that I actually bit right through the bone. Red sauce was ok, Brunswick Stew was fantastic, good greens, good tea, super-mustardy slaw was kind of weird.

Dukes Bar-B-Q (not sure what town, SC)
Apparently this is a family chain place, buffet-style, all-you-can-eat for around $8. The pork here was the low point, dry & not smoked at all, but the sides, (homemade fried okra) mustard-based sauces, and especially the HASH was incredible. They also had great fried chicken, cracklins, and some funky really chewy stuff (ears? snouts?)

B's BBQ (Greenville, NC)
Heard a lot about this place, known for selling out of everything by 1pm pretty much every day. We got there around 12:30 and just missed the chicken, which is supposed to be amazing. Pork was good, corn sticks were good, slaw was sweet & white like the Skylight's, green beans were ok, basic canned joints.

Didn't have enough time to get over to the Lexington but hope to check that out next time. Skylight Inn was absolutely spectacular though, I would almost drive down there just to go there again!
yardman5508
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 13 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure which Duke's you visited. The Duke's family was the first family of South Carolina barbecue and many of the small towns in central SC had a Dukes, though they were all owned by different family members with varying results. When I lived in Orangeburg we used to travel to the oriiginal Earl Duke's in Cameron, SC (built next door to a firehouse). All they had were meat, ribs, hash and real porkskins...buffet style....loaf bread on every table...only open Thurs, Fri. and Sat. Like a trip to Mecca, but Earl was as old as dirt then and that was probably 35 years ago. Later his kin built two in Orangeburg...one by the Pepsi plant and another one that eventually ended up in South Orangeburg on Hwy 21 where they even sold...*cringe*...t-shirts.
Smokey Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: