FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Famous Dave's - Detroit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKBBQEA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 22 07 10:33 pm    Post subject: Famous Dave's - Detroit Reply with quote

Just got back from visiting friends in Michigan and while we were there they took me to Famous Dave's. I'm not sure which suburb of Detroit it was in. My friend lives in Wayne and it was about 20 minutes from his house. So best location I can give is 20 minutes from Wayne... hehe

I had the 2-Meat (Chopped Pork & Ribs[nekkid]) and added a hotlink with coleslaw and potato salad.

The chopped pork was really good. Moist and flavorful.

I had never had a hotlink like they serve before and while I didn't find it very spicy. It was very good and I'd like to know where they get them.

The ribs were awful. I took 2 bites, hoping the second would be better than the first, and gave up on them. They were way overcooked and had a consistency like sawdust. They did have good flavor however so I was doubly disappointed that I couldn't choke them down.

I also tried my wife's brisket and have to say it was pretty tasty. It appeared to have been injected because it had a really nice flavor all the way through it as well as a nice smoke flavor. Wish I had ordered it instead of the ribs.

The coleslaw was pretty good and the potato salad while being good wasn't the style I prefer. I like a little mustard in my potato salad and this appeared to be mayo only. So I can't say it wasn't good potato salad. Just that it didn't suit my taste in potato salad. The consistency of it was great and it was appealing to the eye.

I also sampled all of their sauces. My favorites were Texas Pit and Devil's Spit but I thought they were all good sauces. I really loved the cumin flavor of the Texas Pit sauce.

All in all I'd give Famous Dave's my patronage again next time I'm in Wayne. Everything was tasty with the exception of the ribs. I'll not order them again.

I also have to say I'm jealous of any of you lucky enough to live in that area. My friend took me to Cattlemen's to pick up some brats to cook for dinner. I thought I had walked into heaven when I opened the doors to their meat locker. I have never seen anything like that place in Oklahoma. It was truly an incredible sight to behold. Very Happy
14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain x2
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
R&O Smokers Fat Girl
Ludicrous Speed Red Thermapen
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 24 07 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first time I ever ate at a Famous Daves, was in Hayward Wisconsin (way up north, west of me by 100 miles) and i thought it was pretty good,

I have eaten at 2 or 3 other locations and they were all crap. We went back to the northern WI location and it is still good.

here is what I think the inconsistency problem is;

you could give 10 different cooks the exact same recipe & ingredients, explain what the finished product is supposed to be like, and end up with 10 completely different things.

if Famous daves starts centralizing their cooking, and ships cooked product out, then the might have a consistent product between locations.
I did not say good, I said consistent. huge difference)
at least this way you know what to expect.
OKBBQEA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 24 07 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It's hard to duplicate some food with the same person cooking it.

As a chili cook. Even following the same recipe. My chili's never really come out exactly the same. They always come out consistently good but there is always some difference due to meat, spices, quality of the broth, etc... I grind my own powders so the quality of the peppers I am able to find can change the taste.

I talked to my friend in Wayne and he said there are 2 Famous Dave's within 20 minutes of his house and that the one we ate at was in Taylor.
14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain x2
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
R&O Smokers Fat Girl
Ludicrous Speed Red Thermapen
hickorynut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05 07 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ate at the FD in Novi last week. Bartender informed me that no grilled items were available as there was a problem with the local natural gas utility. Didn't bother me as I wasn't there for a burger. I ordered pulled pork and brisket. The former was pretty good but the brisket was obviously at least a day old--grey, couldn't even see the smoke ring, poor texture. I've had acceptable brisket at this one and the Westland location before, so this is just another testimonial to the fact that it's so hard for a chain like this to be consistent and reliable. I did have to wonder if the gas outage somehow compromised their ability to have freshly-smoked items available???? Maybe a little cheating going on back in the kitchen?
coyoterick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13 07 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Famous Dave's restaurant opened here in Colorado Springs earlier this year. I've never been able to spot a woodpile or any indication that they even had a smoker. What little smoke I've seen smelled like it was from their grill. So I assumed that they cooked their que at a Corporate location then shipped it to the franchises.

Several of us have been going there for Happy Hour on Tuesdays for a while since they have 20oz microbrews for $2.49 which is a "smokin" deal. The other day we were in there and the manager stopped by our table because he noticed that we were coming in pretty regularly. We started chiding him about the que, and he claimed that it was all cooked on-premises. I asked him to show us their smoker - he happily took us into the kitchen where they had a very large Southern Pride unit! It was installed so that it was partially indoors and partially outdoors. They had a small woodpile of hickory out back in an enclosed area not visible from the parking lot which is why we were never able to see it.

There are several BBQ joints in the Springs, the majority of them are quite bad so Famous Dave's is certainly one of the best here.
barnburner180
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14 07 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm lucky because Famous Dave's doesn't even make my top 20 list of BBQ joints here in Kansas City. I went there 5 years ago to "try it" and thought there are at least 20 places off the top of my head here in KC that have much better and authentic BBQ rather than something more commercialized. I remember when Tony Roma tried to come and sell his ribs here in KC. We flat ran him out out business/town within 6 months 5 years ago, never to be heard of again around here.
coyoterick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14 07 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we had a Tony Roma's in town for a while too but they didn't make it. Worst ribs I've ever had were from that place.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17 07 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of the Tony Roma's are history from what I have heard.

There were quite a few In Wisconsin that have all disappeared too.

I catered a party a week or two fro people from the Chicago Area,

their normal rib place was "Carson's, the place for ribs" and they said they will never eat at Carsons again.

Another thing that may be happening with non-locally originating chain places too.

BBQ is one of the most regionally adapted foods their is, what the texans consider good BBQ, would be considered garbage in the southeast, and it goes both ways.

The generally practiced way of cooking ribs up here in snow country is for most people to boil them first, and then just finish them on the grill or in the oven.

people just expect mushy grey meat around here. That is probably one of the reasons I never get too many requests for ribs. They are afraid to try ribs cooked low & slow with nothing but smokey moist heat. they don;t know what they are missing.
3StratMan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31 12 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Famous Dave's - Detroit Reply with quote

cultofnobody wrote:
Just got back from visiting friends in Michigan and while we were there they took me to Famous Dave's. I'm not sure which suburb of Detroit it was in. My friend lives in Wayne and it was about 20 minutes from his house. So best location I can give is 20 minutes from Wayne... hehe

I had the 2-Meat (Chopped Pork & Ribs[nekkid]) and added a hotlink with coleslaw and potato salad.

The chopped pork was really good. Moist and flavorful.

I had never had a hotlink like they serve before and while I didn't find it very spicy. It was very good and I'd like to know where they get them.

The ribs were awful. I took 2 bites, hoping the second would be better than the first, and gave up on them. They were way overcooked and had a consistency like sawdust. They did have good flavor however so I was doubly disappointed that I couldn't choke them down.

I also tried my wife's brisket and have to say it was pretty tasty. It appeared to have been injected because it had a really nice flavor all the way through it as well as a nice smoke flavor. Wish I had ordered it instead of the ribs.

The coleslaw was pretty good and the potato salad while being good wasn't the style I prefer. I like a little mustard in my potato salad and this appeared to be mayo only. So I can't say it wasn't good potato salad. Just that it didn't suit my taste in potato salad. The consistency of it was great and it was appealing to the eye.

I also sampled all of their sauces. My favorites were Texas Pit and Devil's Spit but I thought they were all good sauces. I really loved the cumin flavor of the Texas Pit sauce.

All in all I'd give Famous Dave's my patronage again next time I'm in Wayne. Everything was tasty with the exception of the ribs. I'll not order them again.

I also have to say I'm jealous of any of you lucky enough to live in that area. My friend took me to Cattlemen's to pick up some brats to cook for dinner. I thought I had walked into heaven when I opened the doors to their meat locker. I have never seen anything like that place in Oklahoma. It was truly an incredible sight to behold. Very Happy

That would be the FD in Westland, about 10 minutes North of Wayne. I go there occasionally in the wintertime when it's too cold to fire up my own cookers. Usually not too bad there- it'll do when the craving for Q hits and theres 10 inches of snow on the ground. Mrs 3StratMan likes the brisket, and I usually get the 1/2 Memphis 1/2 St Louis slab. Sometimes really good, sometimes OK. Like I said, it'll do in a pinch.

Cattleman's is not it's all that it's cracked up to be. Yes, they have a LOT of meat in that cooler, but the problem is that it's all "Select" grade. Clearly notice the difference in quality from "Select" at Cattleman's VS "Choice" grade from Sam's Club. If quality matters to you, skip Cattleman's.
Brinkmann Pro Series 4 burner
CharBroil Santa Fe
Mastercraft 7 in 1 (the camper)
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13 13 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cattleman's in, I think it's Penryn, just east of here towards Reno has the best restaurant steaks I've ever had.....
Haven't been there in a few, but it WAS really good.....

The Tony Roma's that used to be a few miles away is gone, but did have reasonable ribs....

We creamed 'em on all you could eat days....
30 backribs each !!!!

PS: cultofnobody
, thanks for the review, well thought out..... Very Happy
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
Rockpyle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15 13 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Famous Dave's - Detroit Reply with quote

3StratMan wrote:
cultofnobody wrote:

Cattleman's is not it's all that it's cracked up to be. Yes, they have a LOT of meat in that cooler, but the problem is that it's all "Select" grade. Clearly notice the difference in quality from "Select" at Cattleman's VS "Choice" grade from Sam's Club. If quality matters to you, skip Cattleman's.

I agree on Cattleman’s. When I first started smoking, the kids and I referred to Cattleman’s as “the meat playground”. When my first few briskets were disappointing, in addition to improving my technique, I read about people only using Choice or better, staying away from the hit and miss of Select. I then realized that almost everything that Cattleman’s sells is Select. I now shop at Restaurant Depot in Dearborn, where I can choose my grade. They usually have Select, Choice and Angus (a sub-category of Choice?) brisket packers.

FYI, Cattleman’s is a meat/produce store which has a huge walk-in refrigerated meat section, selling packer cuts of just about anything cow and they have butchers on site who will slice your meat into steaks/etc. for free. They also have great selections of all other meats, and some crazy cheap specials sometimes. No connection other than a generally happy customer.

http://cattlemansmeats.com/index.html

Homebrewing and Barbecue Extraordinaire!
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16 13 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Famous Dave's - Detroit Reply with quote

Rockpyle wrote:
Angus (a sub-category of Choice?)

Angus is a breed and a marketing ploy nothing more. (Though I do like it)

Prime, choice, select, and on down are grades, and angus gets graded just like any other breed. There is also that the grade is somewhat of a sliding scale based off what is slaughtered that day.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16 13 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that Angus is a brand and that it comes from the upper third of Choice. Don't know if that is factual, but I read it somewhere.
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16 13 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
I read somewhere that Angus is a brand and that it comes from the upper third of Choice. Don't know if that is factual, but I read it somewhere.

With creative marketing Angus presented one of the best promo tools in the beef industry ever presented and by being the first have gained and held market share.

You are correct in that Angus beef must be in the upper third of choice to be allowed to be a branded product.

Other breeds such as Hereford, Beefmaster etc. have tried to copy this marketing avenue, but have not gained the customer following that Angus has.

Swine breeds have tried to use this concept with Berkshire leading the pack in price. Duroc is making minor headway.

Now we just will have to wait and see if the poultry industry will come up with something unique in breed marketing - that brought a laugh.
yardman5508
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17 13 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texman wrote:
Now we just will have to wait and see if the poultry industry will come up with something unique in breed marketing - that brought a laugh.

Somehow, Rhode Island Red, Delaware Blue, and Leghorn just do not carry the same weight as Angus...IMHO
Smokey Joe
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17 13 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yardman5508 wrote:
Texman wrote:

Somehow, Rhode Island Red, Delaware Blue, and Leghorn just do not carry the same weight as Angus...IMHO

Yep that's a funny - besides one can just see the marketing by-line for a chicken breed: "Eat chicken - it gains its nutrition through its pecker."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: