FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crumbs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27 06 8:09 am    Post subject: Elk Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever smoked an elk roast before? I know it can be done because when I was in Minnesota a few years ago I had some. That was some of the best meat I ever had. Any help or pointers would be appreciated.
doogie494
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06 06 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

send me some and i will test for you. lol Laughing
Crumbs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06 06 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see if I can mudle through it first.

I am beginning to think that I should approach it the same way you do venison. I am told it is very lean.
badhabit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15 06 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elk as you probably know is a very lean meat and tends to dry out quickly and gets "chewy" the longer and dryer it cooks. I've cooked/smoked a number of elk roast. (I use a big green egg) I've used butt rubs on some of mine in the past. Let it sit as long as you need to. When cooking/smoking them I try to stay around 280-300 for cooking and take it out when the themometer hits 143. I let it rest for at least 20 min. Make sure you trim off the fat, the fat contains the gamey flavor if it is going to have a gamey flavor. I also bone mine out prior to cutting and wrapping. For wood, I really like alder chunks. Little chief is making chunks as well as the shredded alder.
dads smokin again
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07 07 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over thirty years ago a buddy of mine got an elk and we did a roast and ribs. We dug a pit in the yard and used apple wood. It was some setup we did but it worked great. We smoked it for a number of hours (can't remember now but most of the day) and it turned out great. Very Happy
Changeling
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30 12 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elk is one of the best tasting animals there is! I have never shot one but have friends who have and were generous enough to give me roasts, steaks and burger. I cooked all of it on a webber gril "indirect". To there instructions.

If I had my choice between a beef roast and a elk roast it wouldn't even be a contest, I would take the Elk every time!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: