FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mike's Smokehouse Market - Malbis, AL (near Mobile)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12 10 10:54 am    Post subject: Mike's Smokehouse Market - Malbis, AL (near Mobile) Reply with quote

The best pulled pork I've ever had is from a good friend of mine, who custom built a brick pit in his back yard. He slow smokes his pork butts for several hours with pecan. It is by far the best I've had.

He has decided to open a new BBQ restaurant and take out market at the location of what used to be Cafe Malbis on AL Hwy 181 about 3 miles south of I-10 at exit 38(Spanish Fort/Malbis). It will be called Mike's Smokehouse and Market. They will have a take home and merchandise market in addition to the restaurant. He has custom fabricated a really impressive large pit for his new venture.
They plan to open the week of June 28. I'll report back after they open. I'm both biased and excited, because I know Mike's BBQ pork will be better than any BBQ within miles.

Last edited by dabaxter on Sat Jul 10 10 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
bama6977

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13 10 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to try this one. About 30 minutes from where I live. Cool
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26 10 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like he's now opening the week of July 5.
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28 10 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Mike's is not open yet, he did a test run in his smoker of St. Louis cut ribs he'll be serving. He gave me a couple of slabs to bring home and try. All I can say is, fantastic.
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03 10 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Wednesday July 7 will be the first day they're open. Their hours will be 11-7. I'm looking forward to it.
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03 10 11:34 pm    Post subject: Mike's Smokehouse Market Reply with quote

It looks like the press register did a write up on Mike:

LINK
bama6977

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04 10 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it!! Maybe another place besides Bass Pro Shop that I can hang out while wife is at Malbis Mall. Thanks Very Happy
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10 10 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now open and I ate there today. Had a pork sandwich.

Oh yeah baby!!

I was surprised by just how many items he had on his menu.

Here's where they are:

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/8-XfJqQb_yHUJ0
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15 10 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back a second time last weekend. This time I ordered a brisket sandwich. I can honestly say it was the best brisket I ever had. I'm not much of a brisket person and this was the only time I've had brisket that I've really enjoyed it and would want more.
If you try Mike's, I recommend the brisket.
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17 10 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been back a third time now. Can you tell it is only a few minutes from my house?
I had another great pork sandwich. My young son got sausage. I've never had sausage before in a BBQ restaurant that was anything special. This was great, the best I've ever had.
bama6977

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18 10 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best pulled pork I have ever had and that's 63 years of eating southern bar-b-que!!

Ya'll this is a must stop for Bar-b-Que. New and QUALITY. It's just 2 miles off I-10 between Mobile and Pensacola, Malbis exit 38, south on the left side, big cooker out front, no sign yet.

My wife had pulled pork dinner with greens and home made macaroni and cheese. Absolutely fantastic. I had pulled pork and brisket with beans and cole slaw...man, fantastic. All sides made there, family recipe's. Sample of ribs and again fantastic. Chicken, sausage, Brunswick stew waiting for next visit.

Great sauces. Never got passed North Carolina sauce and white sauce today. Damn good.

Met Mike the owner and talked BBQ, great guy. Got some ideas for ABT's and brisket cooking. It was a privilege to see his cooker, he built it, damn, make you want to just sit, admire and look/smell.

Really impressed with servers. When went through the line, no scales, just serve it up. Asked for some of the bark and they knew what I wanted (try that in other so called Bar-b Que restaurants). Friendly the entire time there.

My prediction, he is going to outgrow this place real quick. Going to need bigger parking lot real quick. Going to have too stand in line within a month.

Can't say enough and if you don't try soon I understand DABAXTER is going to eat all the que. Yep, got the low down on him today.
Laughing
I C Smoke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01 10 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped by Mike's to give it a try.

Yep, Mike has the real deal going on over there!!! I had them make me up a plate of what I call the "BBQ Trinity": Brisket, ribs, & pulled pork. All were really good!!! Being a Texas raised boy, I likes my brisket and am pretty particular about it. Mike's was as good as any I've ever had!!!
Great sauces. Had a brisket sauce unlike anything I've ever tried before. Damn good stuff.

Mike was a great host, we talked bbq, and he took me out back to see the smoker he designed and built. Really cool setup with rotating racks and process controls for temp maintenane. Made you want to sit there and smell the smoke & admire the equipment!!!

Impressed with the servers. Friendly the entire time I was there.

Final thoughts: I bought a full slab of ribs & a pound of sliced brisket to take home after I ate! I can honestly say I have NEVER done that before!!
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10 10 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike's has been opened for a couple of months now. Despite very little signage, semi-obstructive road construction out front, and no advertising, Mike's has built up a pretty good lunch crowd. The BBQ is simply outstanding.

dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 01 11 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I'm a regular at this place now. I still have not found anywhere that has pulled pork or brisket as good as Mike's. If you ask Mike, he will pull you some pork with no rub on it. This is my favorite.
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25 12 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is still my favorite. I've been getting their brisket stuffed potatoes regularly. No one has come close to their brisket.
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11 12 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Mike's has new owners and I've heard from 2 people that the food is now really bad. It is a crying shame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: