FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FNG - IT consistency question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Comanche17

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30 12 11:33 am    Post subject: FNG - IT consistency question Reply with quote

Long time reader, first time member/poster, blah blah. I have quite a bit of experience smoking foods but have gotten bitten by the sausage bug recently.

I decided to start out easy and do some snack sticks and SS. With all my previous reading and searching posts on here, I understand the making, stuffing, drying, etc.

My question is getting a good IT reading?? This weekend, I did some stix in 19mm collagens and my IT seemed to vary with the internal temp of the smoker, less about 10*. When I figured I reached a good steady 152, I stuck a couple different stix at different spots and got anywhere from 148 to about 156.

Has anyone else seen this? Because of my smoking experience, I leave a good radio thermometer in the meat and smoker so I can watch everything from the comfort of the lazyboy.

Anyway... thanks in advance for any advice. The smokering is great!
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30 12 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Comanche17
It's hard to get a reading with a thermometer such as a Maverick in a small casing. I do use mine just for an idea when to really start checking with the ThermaPen.
I hit each 2' stick in three places. When I get a reading of 151F in all three I pull that stick and keep checking the others, pulling when done.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Seminole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04 12 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on s size of a smokehouse the inside temperatures will probably vary. It should be a bit hotter in a lower part, it will be more humid in the upper part due to the moisture evaporating. In wood fired units there is a higher temperature in a back than in a front. This may account for minor differences.
Keep in mind that after switching off the heat source, the internal temperature of the sausage will still go up a few degrees (depending on its diameter). The heat from the surface area is still travelling towards the inside for a while.
teamfour
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05 12 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how can you poke several holes in each sausage and not have juices come out?
Great Outdoors vertical propane
UDS
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05 12 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seminole wrote:
Depending on s size of a smokehouse the inside temperatures will probably vary. It should be a bit hotter in a lower part, it will be more humid in the upper part due to the moisture evaporating. In wood fired units there is a higher temperature in a back than in a front. This may account for minor differences.
The variation of internal smoker temps is another reason some folks install small fans in their smokers to more evenly distribute the heat & smoke within the unit.

I will use one probe in my sticks/links/chubs just to monitor the ITs, but I'm not opposed to moving it around during the smoke to ensure a balanced result.

Quote:
So how can you poke several holes in each sausage and not have juices come out?

As to having juices flow forth for repeated probe intrusions, I've had very few occurrences of this in moderate temp smokes (140-165°F). With hotter temps (over 185°), you're much more likely to have this problem as fats & juices render out.

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: