FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First time making sausage links

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zmokin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25 12 4:26 am    Post subject: First time making sausage links Reply with quote

I've made ground sausage for making breakfast sausage patties, or using ground sausage instead of hamburger in whatever calls for hamburger (hamburger helpers, spaghetti meat sauce, lasagne, etc). I alo have made a lot of meatballs.

so I have a few questions before I make my first go of it.

any secrets for processing the meat that aren't in your usual recipe?

is it better to make a fine grind than a coarse grind for stuffing the sausage into the casing?

Do mixed meat (chicken, pork & beef) make a better sausage than a single meat variety? pure pork for instance?

does adding water to the mix help with the flow during stuffing?

Should I freeze the links after stuffing, or should I cook them in a smoker first, then eat what I want at the time, and freeze the rest?

How important is nitrites to making a good sausage? I know it's a great anti-bacterial preservative, but I also know it imparts a color and flavor.

I've bought casings and have them refridgerated (although I know this isn't necessary, they are packed in salt and were shipped un-refriderageted). i think the box says it's enough to make 25 pounds, I was planning on cutting the casing into fifths and only doing 5 lbs of sausage or less at a whack.

I greatly appreciate any help and guidance prior to my first attempt at making links.
14" Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Large Big Green Egg w/Sole' Gourmet Table
Zmokin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01 12 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!?
one week, 112 views, and no replies.

I'm still probably two to three weeks away from trying to stuff links for the first time.

I really really would appreciate some helpful advice.
14" Cast Iron Dutch Oven
RedneckRocket
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01 12 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: First time making sausage links Reply with quote

Zmokin wrote:
I've made ground sausage for making breakfast sausage patties, or using ground sausage instead of hamburger in whatever calls for hamburger (hamburger helpers, spaghetti meat sauce, lasagne, etc). I alo have made a lot of meatballs.

so I have a few questions before I make my first go of it.

any secrets for processing the meat that aren't in your usual recipe?

is it better to make a fine grind than a coarse grind for stuffing the sausage into the casing?
I use the smallest plate we have, but I do not grind more than once. My personal preference. Stuffing takes time and a lot of practice. Be patient.

Do mixed meat (chicken, pork & beef) make a better sausage than a single meat variety? pure pork for instance?
I just have been doing venison sausages. I mix 50/50 pork and venison by weight. Again my preference. I also prefer to bring my own pork and use pick bust when doing it.

does adding water to the mix help with the flow during stuffing?
I would suggest using a premade kit if it's your first time. I use the water to help blend the spices and cure if I'm using it during the mixing process.

Should I freeze the links after stuffing, or should I cook them in a smoker first, then eat what I want at the time, and freeze the rest?
If your not going to be able to consume all the product in a few days I always package and freeze. If you smoking you have to have the cure. Fresh sausage that's not going in the smoker does not have to have the cure.

How important is nitrites to making a good sausage? I know it's a great anti-bacterial preservative, but I also know it imparts a color and flavor.
The cure prevents the nasties from making you sick and they can also kill you. If it gets smoked it gets the cure. Don't skip this.

I've bought casings and have them refridgerated (although I know this isn't necessary, they are packed in salt and were shipped un-refriderageted). i think the box says it's enough to make 25 pounds, I was planning on cutting the casing into fifths and only doing 5 lbs of sausage or less at a whack.
These are probably natural sheep casings. Be sure time rinse all the salt out if them. They are fragile, take your time as they are going to blow out on you pretty easily until you get the hang of his fast to stuff the meat into the casings.

I greatly appreciate any help and guidance prior to my first attempt at making links.
Zmokin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02 12 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: First time making sausage links Reply with quote

[quote="RedneckRocket"]
Zmokin wrote:
I've made
I use the smallest plate we have, but I do not grind more than once. My personal preference. Stuffing takes time and a lot of practice. Be patient.

I just have been doing venison sausages. I mix 50/50 pork and venison by weight. Again my preference. I also prefer to bring my own pork and use pick bust when doing it.

I would suggest using a premade kit if it's your first time. I use the water to help blend the spices and cure if I'm using it during the mixing process.

If your not going to be able to consume all the product in a few days I always package and freeze. If you smoking you have to have the cure. Fresh sausage that's not going in the smoker does not have to have the cure.

The cure prevents the nasties from making you sick and they can also kill you. If it gets smoked it gets the cure. Don't skip this.

These are probably natural sheep casings. Be sure time rinse all the salt out if them. They are fragile, take your time as they are going to blow out on you pretty easily until you get the hang of his fast to stuff the meat into the casings.

Thanks for the information. Yes, the casings I bought online are natural sheep casings.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how much nitrite to use per lb? I have pure sodium nitrite, not curing salt. I've been using 1/10 teaspoon to 1 lb of beef when making beef jerky. It was an amount I once calculated. but recently when I tried googling this, I think when I re-calculated, it seemed like I might be using too much nitrite.
I'm preferring to make my own salt to nitrite mix as I want to reduce the total sodium in my recipes.
14" Cast Iron Dutch Oven
RedneckRocket
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02 12 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you on that one. I would check Len Poli's site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: