FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turkey temp probe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blkandrust

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22 12 8:01 pm    Post subject: Turkey temp probe. Reply with quote

I currently have my Maverick in the meaty part of the thigh.Is this the best place for probe? Read that it was,and turkey is done when thigh hits 165..Just wanna be sure as to not dry out breast. Turkey was brined for 36hrs. Thanks.
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Jeb'sQ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22 12 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I probe the breast, and shoot for 165 there. Thigh should be more like 180, IMHO
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22 12 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have to TRY to dry that bird out after a 36 hr brine!! I agree on probing the breasts Embarassed stick it in from the cavity end so you dont break the skin, the skin tends to pull back , crack and loose a lot of juices once poked.
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23 12 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probe a Turkey parallel to the breast bone about an inch and a half away from it!

By probing it this way, you stay away from the bone and you are not going to need to take it in and out ever, so it's only one hole and you don't loose lots of juice.

I still work here!
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23 12 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoked our turkey this year and used the Maverick stuck in the thigh and not touching the bone. I cooked it until the thigh read 165 to 170. The reason for doing that is the thigh takes longer to cook than the breast, so if the thigh is done the rest of the bird should be done -- that is if your smoker has even temperature. I used a horizontally oriented smoker and oriented the bird with the drum sticks faced toward the fire. After the thigh reached that 165 - 170, I checked the rest of the bird with my Thermapen to see if the rest of the bird was done (at least 165). The smoker had an uneven temperature and the breast wasn't 165 so I reversed the orientation of the bird with the breast toward the heat. After the breast got to 165, I probed with the Thermaen again and found the bottom of the bird wasn't up to 165, so I turned the whole turkey upside down. Then it got up to temperature and I called it done. Even though I used a smoker that I wasn't used to, it turned out perfect.

George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: