FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spicy Dill Pickle Recipe???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28 12 11:51 pm    Post subject: Spicy Dill Pickle Recipe??? Reply with quote

Good afternoon all....We are getting ready to put up some dill pickles and the wife was wanting some SPICY ones..

Anyone have a recipe??
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 12 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go. I got this one out of the Ball Canning Book.
I've made them a couple times and they are pretty good. I also add 2 jalapenos per jar into the pickle. (12 or so)
The hard part is the waiting for the first taste.
I think it makes 6 or 8 quart jars, got CRS.
I've made 1/4" chips and deli slices out of them too. Takes 10 days in the pickle.
Try some chopped in potato salad or egg salad sammies. Puts a nice little kick in the taste.

Ingredients
* 2 to 3 bunches of fresh dill
* 1/4 cup crab boil (Old Bay - Packaged, not liquid) or Pickling Spice
* 2 bay leaves crushed or 1/2 tsp Ground Bay
* 1 tablespoon whole black pepper corns
* 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
* 1 tablespoon dill seeds
* 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
* 10 pounds picking cucumbers (4 inches long with ends trimmed)
* 1-1/2 cups pickling canning salt
* 2 cups white vinegar
* 16 cups water
* 6 garlic cloves

Instructions
Combine all of the dry spice ingredients in a small bowl. In a large clean crock or glass or stainless container, place half of the picking spice and one bunch of dill. Add cucumbers, leaving at least 4 inches of space between the cucumbers and the rim of the container.
In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine pickling salt, vinegar and water. Bring to a boil and add salt stirring to dissolve. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

When the brine has cooled to room temperature pour picking liquid over cucumbers and add remaining picking spice, garlic, and remaining dill over the top. Place a large clean inverted plate on top of the cucumbers and weigh
down with a couple of quart jars filled with water and capped. Cover with a clean towel. Let stand in a cool place the temperature should be about 70 to 75 degrees, let stand for about three weeks. It will take about three weeks until the cucumbers are well flavored and the fermentation is completed. You will need to check the brine daily and remove any skum that may form. During fermentation bubbles will form.

After about three weeks it will be time to put up the pickles. Prepare your canner, jars, and lids. Drain pickles reserving the brine. Strain brine through a sieve and pour brine into a large stainless steel pot and bring the brine to a boil. When a rolling boil has been achieved reduce heat, an let simmer for 5 minutes.
Pack pickles into the hot jars leaving 1/2 inch for head space. Pour hot brine into jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if necessary, by adding hot picking liquid. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to finger tip tight.

Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 15 minutes. Remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool, and store.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 12 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that is the same recipe I had and the one I wound up going with...hope she likes them Wink Shocked

She did say that I was the one that was going to have to suck the scum off the top everyday (for 3 weeks).

She said she "wasn't into "scum-sucking"..not quite sure what she means by that Shocked Shocked
Manana
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 12 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geronimo wrote:

She said she "wasn't into "scum-sucking"..not quite sure what she means by that Shocked Shocked

I'm not quite sure either but it sounds like a good thing doesn't it? Laughing
The artist formerly known as Liar #95
(until beertooth whined) NOW Liar #96
Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/SFB
Char-Griller Akorn Kamado
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 12 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a basic pickle and with the spicy ones i put 2-3 cayenne peppers in the jar. Dehydrated peppers are recomended by the know it alls but I use fresh ones sometimes too. I made some with fresh habaneros, cayenne, halapenos, and cherry bombs this year.

I dont know what the growing season is like in your area but the season for pickling cucumbers is far gone here, and if there are any growing still they are more seed then meat which makes them less than prime for pickling. Try to get small ones no more than 4" long and they should have hardley any seeds in them. Break one open at the store to checkem.

Only scum I ever had on pickles was from fermented / sour pickles.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 12 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell Fire Grill wrote:
I use a basic pickle and with the spicy ones i put 2-3 cayenne peppers in the jar. Dehydrated peppers are recomended by the know it alls but I use fresh ones sometimes too. I made some with fresh habaneros, cayenne, halapenos, and cherry bombs this year.

I dont know what the growing season is like in your area but the season for pickling cucumbers is far gone here, and if there are any growing still they are more seed then meat which makes them less than prime for pickling. Try to get small ones no more than 4" long and they should have hardley any seeds in them. Break one open at the store to checkem.

That is what the recipe is, fermented. BTW my family has never gotten sick from anything you have sent home with me.
#3 LIAR
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 12 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon smoker wrote:
Hell Fire Grill wrote:

That is what the recipe is, fermented. BTW my family has never gotten sick from anything you have sent home with me.

Yep you caught me not reading the whole thread and only leaving input.

If any one does get sick it better be from overeating.
tacklebox
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 12 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just your average pickle recipe with a habanero or two will work.

These were fokking hot Twisted Evil
Twisted Evil Pompous Ass Bigoted LIAR #69 Twisted Evil
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 12 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, we like "spicy" but not so friggin' hot you can't eat them Shocked Shocked
Damar12
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30 12 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add a little liquid crab boil to your brine. The more you use the more potent it will be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: