FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pizza dough and sauce recipe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18 12 8:07 pm    Post subject: Pizza dough and sauce recipe Reply with quote

I watched an episode of Cook's Country on PBS from a few weeks ago about St Louis Cooking and they had a recipe for some thin crust pizza and I was wondering if anyone has tried it on their outdoor cookers:

NO COOK SAUCE

1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons dried oregano

CHEESE

2 cups shredded white American cheese
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 drops liquid smoke

DOUGH

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons olive oil

Instructions

1. MAKE SAUCE Whisk together tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, sugar, and oregano in small bowl; set aside. Toss cheeses with liquid smoke in medium bowl; set aside.

2. MIX DOUGH Combine flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Combine water and olive oil in liquid measuring cup. Stir water mixture into flour mixture until dough starts to come together. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times, until cohesive.

3. ROLL DOUGH Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, place pizza stone (or inverted baking sheet) on rack, and heat oven to 475 degrees. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Working with 1 piece of dough at a time, press into small circle and transfer to parchment paper dusted lightly with flour. Using rolling pin, roll and stretch dough to form 12-inch circle, rotating parchment as needed. Lift parchment and pizza off work surface onto inverted baking sheet.

4. ASSEMBLE PIZZA Top each piece of dough with half of sauce and half of cheese. Carefully pull parchment paper and pizza off baking sheet onto hot baking stone. Bake until underside is golden brown and cheese is completely melted, 9 to 12 minutes. Remove pizza and parchment from oven. Transfer pizza to cooling rack and let cool few minutes. Assemble and bake second pizza. Cut into 2-inch squares. Serve.

MAKE AHEAD: The dough can be made in advance. At the end of step 2, tightly wrap the ball of dough in plastic and refrigerate for up to 2 days.

Jazz up your pizza with these toppings. Each recipe tops 1 pizza (and can be doubled to top a full recipe of 2 pizzas).

PEPPERONI

Prepare St. Louis-Style Pizza sauce and dough. Arrange 3 1/2 ounces thinly sliced pepperoni on paper towel-lined plate. Cover with 2 more paper towels and microwave for 2 minutes. Let cool. Proceed with recipe from step 4 arranging pepperoni on pizza before sprinkling with cheese.

PEPPERS, MUSHROOMS, AND ONIONS

Prepare St. Louis-Style Pizza sauce and dough. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook 1 medium onion, sliced thin; 1 red pepper, sliced thin; and 8 ounces thinly sliced white button mushrooms until browned, about 10 minutes. Proceed with recipe from step 4, distributing vegetables over pizza before sprinkling with cheese.
Tim_Abrahamson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18 12 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why liquid smoke in the cheese?

Also... Is this recipe your invention or did you "borrow" it from somewhere? If this is not your invention please cite your source so credit (or disparagement) can be properly given.

Oklahoma Joe Longhorn
Big Green Egg
Former Pitmaster Gates and Sons BBQ (KC)
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my recipe, it is from Cooks Country and there is a hyperlink in the first paragraph to their site (need to enter your e-mail to see the recipe, but not to watch the video).
The use the liquid smoke to replicate the cheese used in the original recipe they are trying to duplicate since they cannot find the cheese easily.
The PPP
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American cheese on Pizza? That’s sacrilegious and downright disrespectful to the Pizza Gods! I’d throw that recipe in the garbage. Evil or Very Mad
2 Weber Smokey mountains 18, 22.5
1 Weber smokey Joe
potlickingood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pizza dough and sauce recipe Reply with quote

Sounds like a great recipe I'm going to bookmark this.
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Cheese, Baking Powder.... ah... Not so much. Thanks but I'll stick with the stuff I learned in Naples & Sigonella
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
Thumper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluDawg wrote:
American Cheese, Baking Powder.... ah... Not so much. Thanks but I'll stick with the stuff I learned in Naples & Sigonella

+1

Those are some unusal ingredients for sure. I stick with the basics also.
matt6150
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bunch of dickheads. All the guy asked was if anyone had tried the recipe. Why come in and criticise, not everybody is a purist snob
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt6150 wrote:
What a bunch of dickheads. All the guy asked was if anyone had tried the recipe. Why come in and criticise, not everybody is a purist snob
Thank you yes I have mine whats your excuse?
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of folks jump to the conclusion, when they hear 'American' cheese, that it's individually wrapped Kraft singles..... Shocked

While that seems rather yucko to me, I've seen some pretty amazing use of American cheese here on the 'Ring....

For instance: Smokin' Gal's Chili Cheese Dawgs ~~>

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59201

If you look into it, please note that other types of cheese were explored before the final decision..... Cool
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
Manana
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think dickhead is a little strong but whatever. Shocked

From looking at the recipe: The sauce sounds good. I am a pizza cheese purist. I one of those odd people that only likes Moz. on pizza. I'd like to hear from someone how the crust tastes because I kind of like that yeasty taste to the crust but this might be good. My husband will eat all sorts of different sauces and cheeses but I like tomato based and moz. cheese on mine and that's it.
The artist formerly known as Liar #95
(until beertooth whined) NOW Liar #96
Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/SFB
Char-Griller Akorn Kamado
matt6150
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluDawg wrote:
matt6150 wrote:
Thank you yes I have mine whats your excuse?

I don't need an excuse for calling out pointless posts that do not benefit the OP and probably ends up discouraging the guy from posting again. I see way to much of this at this place lately.
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, for those who do not watch Cooks Country or America's Test Kitchen on PBS, it is all done by Cooks Illustrated, a group of chefs who try to simplify recipes or make them better than the originals. Sometimes, they do things because they cannot find an ingredient near them and sometimes, they do things to simply make it better than it was.

I watch them because they make recipes easier to make and they do lots of testing to verify they work so that I don't have to.

So, if you watch the video they have on the link, you will hear the reasoning on why they did the things they did.
Tim_Abrahamson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheese is a reasonable facsimile of a St. Louis staple cheese know as "Provel" This is a bastardized processed cheese product made to resemble provolone.

I find Provel to be some of the cheapest, nastiest and gummy cheese I have ever eaten but if you eat in St. Louis EVERYTHING is covered in that Cr^p. (sorry... I really tried to like it when I lived in St. Louis...but it just wasn't meant to be)

As far as I know the only place you can find provel is in St. Louis also. For a community with a strong and proud Italian culinary heritage I find it amazing that something so disgusting is embraced so fully!

Oklahoma Joe Longhorn
Big Green Egg
Former Pitmaster Gates and Sons BBQ (KC)
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt6150 wrote:
What a Troll Rolling Eyes Attacks like this only prove the redneck ignorance of the poster and add nothing to the conversation. I can see why you only have 139 posts in 37 months as you have nothing to contribute I feel sorry for you I really do.
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20 12 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play nice fellas Laughing Laughing Laughing

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
Zelix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20 12 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good recipe. The best pizza I ever made was with this dough recipe on post #24.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.20.html

It requires weighing the ingredients for a more precise product. But it's worth it.

Good luck with your pizza making. Post picts of your finished pizza. Smile
matt6150
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20 12 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluDawg wrote:
matt6150 wrote:
What a Troll Rolling Eyes Attacks like this only prove the redneck ignorance of the poster and add nothing to the conversation. I can see why you only have 139 posts in 37 months as you have nothing to contribute I feel sorry for you I really do.

You feel sorry for me because I don't post that much? Sorry man I'm a busy guy and don't get on here much and when I do I usually just prefer to read. I wasn't trolling nor attacking. Not just you and not just this thread there just seems to be this attitude of I'm better than you kind of thing going around. If someone starts a thread about a recipe it just doesn't seem like a respectful thing to do to criticize some of the ingredients. Or maybe I'm just having a bad week, Sorry.

Looks like a good recipe. American cheese might not be too bad with a cheeseburger pizza. Any purist should know that a cheeseburger has American cheese on it!
Manana
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20 12 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're referring to me since I said I was a purist...I don't like cheeseburger pizza. My husband likes it even with pickles on it.

There is another kind of cheese that they put on pizza..white like moz and it's really common but I can not for the life of me think of what it is right now, however I like it too.
I just think you jumped the gun or over reacted with the whole dickhead thing. No one was really a dickhead.

edited to add: The original poster has over 1100 posts. I don't think someone saying they don't like his pizza recipe is going to send him over the deep end.
The artist formerly known as Liar #95
(until beertooth whined) NOW Liar #96
Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/SFB
Char-Griller Akorn Kamado
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20 12 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt6150 wrote:

I,m speechless , laughing tho- a new low Rolling Eyes
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: