FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Grill Being Broken At A Competition...Pointers/Tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I_use_the_force

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 6:55 am    Post subject: New Grill Being Broken At A Competition...Pointers/Tips Reply with quote

Hi guys. Flying in my first solo competition this week in Charlotte, NC in the Blues 'n BBQ festival.

Only competing in one category (boston butts), but plan on doing ribs for about 10 people prior to starting on the butts for a party. Butt turn in is slated for 2pm Saturday.

I've not been good at estimating how much charcoal to add, nor have I ever really asked how much wood to use for smoke. Since this is my first competition...I'd like to work with more precise numbers. I need to get my grill dialed in first. How much charcoal should I add to get my grill to 200-220 degrees? I plan on using lump charcoal, so is there a formula I can use like how many lbs of charcoal? Another question, how much wood should I use for optimal smoke?

Also, I've never been good at judging bbq cook times, and am trying to figure out when I should start cooking to shoot for a finishing time of about 1:20-1:30pm Saturday. These will be average sized boston butts. 8-10lbs/each.

To add to the complexity of timing the finish correctly, I'll be using a brand new grill. It's the vision kamado grill-which I love....but, I've only made a few pizzas on it so far and so it hasn't really been broken in. Temperatures while grill have been all over the place too. I've heard great things about kamado's and they're ability to retain heat. I have heard that they'll take forever to get temps down if you overshoot your target temp.

I'd like to review the basics of fire/smoke management...because it's really an area I could perform better in. Any tips on fire/smoke management are appreciated! Thanks in advance guys, and let me know if anyone else from Charlotte is coming out~ Smile
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ALWAYS do SEVERAL personal cooks on a new unit before anything for others, but then again, my income and reputation is on the line .....YMMV.
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring I_use_the_force, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks. Smile
Do you plan on cooking ribs for ten while cooking the Butt all on the Kamado?

Hybrid Cooker
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are cooking 2 Butts at 200 - 220° then you will be burning about 1/2lb of charcoal an hour, you will also be cooking the Butts for 10 to 12 hours... I'd cook a little hotter 225 - 250° at the least!

If you are going to cook ribs for 10 before you cook the Butts, you will be starting the ribs about 6 PM the night before, so you can take them out and feed the folks about midnight, when you put the butts in?

http://www.wholesalepatiostore.com/specs/SOVCS2_owners_manual.pdf

The manual states, run the pit at 350 for at least 15 minutes to season it.

It also says run the put with 3 lbs of lump and start it, wait 10 to 15 minutes then set the top and bottom vents to the temperature you want to cook at.

Good luck at the competition... you may need it? Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think youd better wet your pants before jumping into the fire, you may get your ass burned otherwise.
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell Fire Grill wrote:
I think youd better wet your pants before jumping into the fire, you may get your ass burned otherwise.
I agree 150%.
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
Chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL
Are we a supportive bunch or what. Haven't you guys ever heard of beginners luck. I think Ezzy hit the times just right. Nothing wrong with having a huge set of cajones and jumping off in it. Best wishes make sure you post up some pics.
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11 12 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the force. When that fails there is always Old Milwaukee Laughing Laughing Laughing

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11 12 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toga wrote:
Use the force. When that fails there is always Old Milwaukee Laughing Laughing Laughing

Damn Skippy. Very Happy Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
I_use_the_force

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12 12 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
If you are cooking 2 Butts at 200 - 220° then you will be burning about 1/2lb of charcoal an hour, you will also be cooking the Butts for 10 to 12 hours... I'd cook a little hotter 225 - 250° at the least!

If you are going to cook ribs for 10 before you cook the Butts, you will be starting the ribs about 6 PM the night before, so you can take them out and feed the folks about midnight, when you put the butts in?

http://www.wholesalepatiostore.com/specs/SOVCS2_owners_manual.pdf

The manual states, run the pit at 350 for at least 15 minutes to season it.

It also says run the put with 3 lbs of lump and start it, wait 10 to 15 minutes then set the top and bottom vents to the temperature you want to cook at.

Good luck at the competition... you may need it? Wink Laughing Wink

I've read some stuff that you don't want to go too much above 212 because it can boil off some of the moisture in the meat (but then again, I read it on the interwebs so it must be true right Razz)

Those figures all look pretty good, and I'll definitely use them as a starting point.

Thanks for the help! Smile
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12 12 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

212° boiling point of water at sea level... they have a crazy point about boiling off meat juices, but that's why some people use a sear on their meat, though according to the science a sear actually reduces the moisture in the meat.

The trouble is that unless you cook sous vide, you are always going to boil off some of the moisture... that's just the nature of the beast.

Most folks on here will cook low and slow, and count that anywhere from 225 - 275°, some others still count it as low under 325°, (others think you are getting a little hot at that temperature), there are techniques for barbecue that run from low and slow to hot and fast, and that's from 200 - 500+°!

Learn, cook, question, listen, relearn, cook again, question again... repeat often!

I still work here!
MrBone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12 12 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm like you...I like precise numbers, which is why I never use lump. Maybe consider some nice hardwood briquettes, like Stubb's, they burn hotter and longer than the cheapo crap and very consistently...if you used 28 last week to hit 225 you're gonna use 28 this week to hit 225 (unless the weather significantly changed).

Best of luck to you. I'm just now making the transition to on offset after years of using a 22.5 kettle and in some ways you really are at square one until you get a feel for the new equipment.

Of course, with such a long cook as a butt, it should be pretty forgiving.
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12 12 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Learn, cook, question, listen, relearn, cook again, question again... repeat often!

Exactly!!!

Sometimes the wife gets aggravated at me because I didn't do the recipe exactly the same as last time.

I say challenge yourself. Try different things. Ya don't like lump? GET SOME! Laughing Laughing

Best of luck!
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.

Last edited by BUGSnBBQ on Fri Oct 12 12 8:13 am; edited 3 times in total
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12 12 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
SoEzzy wrote:

Exactly!!!

Sometimes the wife gets aggravated at me because I didn't do the recipe exactly the same as last time. I say challenge yourself. Try different things. Ya don't like lump? GET SOME! Laughing Laughing

Best of luck!

Funny as all get out, Bugs...
The wife's ALWAYS aggrivated at me for not following the recipe.... Twisted Evil Very Happy
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: