FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chicago video on Central TX BBQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 9:27 pm    Post subject: Chicago video on Central TX BBQ Reply with quote

Chicago-based food media personality person Steve Dolinsky ate a whole bunch of Central Texas barbecue this weekend and lived to gush about how awesome it is.

http://austin.eater.com/archives/2012/10/08/zomg-bbq-28.php
darylcincy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11 12 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good bbq video, I enjoyed that, Thank's for sharing!
UDS
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11 12 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a killer trip... after watching it, I needed a towel to wipe up the drool, and a postprandial nap to get over it and back on my feet.

All 11, (or however many places it was), are on my bucket list, but I think I wont do more than 2 in any day, one for an early lunch and one for a late dinner... Oh and doggy bags for a midnight snack, or two! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11 12 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the fact that I can be at any one of them within 1.5 hrs. I'm sad that the one I would go to the most often is the farthest away. (luling) I have not been to Snows cause I work Saturday mornings, and I have only had Southside brought to me.

They are all good. If I was to do more than one in a day, I would limit myself to the best choice from each place. (or at least by popular consensus/ my opinion)

John Mueller : Short Rib and squash (brisket if ribs are gone)
Franklin: Brisket
Stilles : tough call, short rib was best thing that day but no Mueller's
Rudy's : Spicy chopped beef breakfast taco and pig n the blankets
Elgin : sausage
Luling : sausage and the sauce (not that it needs it)
Smitty's : sausage
Kruez : sausage and shoulder clod

I have lived in central TX all my life (36) and eaten at all of these places (plus most other TX "bucket list places") from the time I can remember, or they opened. And It was pretty often. Rudy's extra moist some 12-14 yrs ago was the first time I started enjoying brisket. I would have gotten sausage and spare ribs instead. Franklin and John Mueller are the only two that are always good at brisket IMO. They all do a decent pork rib (if they do them at all), all the sausage is good but I do not care for Rudy's. (it is not as coarse a grind as the others, is more mass produced. (they are a chain)

Round Rock Doughnuts are great too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: