FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chargriller with side firebox.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09 12 11:47 pm    Post subject: Chargriller with side firebox. Reply with quote

I recently bought a Chargriller with the optional side firebox. I'm very impressed with the construction and quality of the grill but I am confused as to its use.

The impression I got from the manual and from the Chargriller forums is that if you have the side firebox you don't need to put charcoal in the main part of the grill at all.

I've been grilling for years now on a basic Weber 22.5" Kettle, and it could be I'm just tripping over the transition. On the Weber, I'm usually using 14-18 hardwood briquettes to get 225 degrees going.

On the Chargriller, using just the firebox, I was using more like 40 at a time to get the main section to around 225. I can understand it would take more because the heat's off to the side, but it seemed like the firebox was getting so hot it was on its way to damaging the powder coat.

So my question is, should I be adding charcoal to the main section of the grill and just using the side with a few briquettes and the smoking wood?

Thanks in advance.
eap0510

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bone, you have a setup similar to mine. I have a Char Broil Offset Charcoal Smoker. Due to the metal being so thin, and the cooking being an offset, you will use more charcoal in your offset then your Weber. Offsets will always use more charcoal then a vertical from my understanding.

To get around the thin metal issue I invested in a welder's blanket that I bought from Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/4-ft-x-6-ft-fiberglass-welding-blanket-67833.htm

Before the blanket I had to add charcoal and play with the draft about every 15 - 20 minutes. Once I simply laid the blanket over the top my firebox and cooker my maintenance time went up to about an hour and a half.

I could not believe the difference that the blanket made. Since your setup is a little smaller than mine I would guess that with a blanket you could go about 2 hours or so. I also have a Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker that I can go between 5 - 6 hours without having to add or adjust anything. That little guy is great for doing a butt in.

-Eric
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll beat your self silly trying to keep temps with Charcoal unless you build a basket and raise the the height so there is plenty of breathing room under it. Or do like I did and cut some 1" angle iron to 12.5" and place it in the fire fox with a sheet of expanded on top. I use a chimney of lump to start out and feed it splits the rest of the cook.

To get a nice even temp across the cooking surface take the two CI grates that came in the firebox and put 1 at each end of the cooking chamber invert the charcoal pan and lay it on top push the pan up to the fire box opening. I used a UNI Bit and drilled 12 holes in the pan at 6" intervals starting at 3" from the fire box with a 1/4" hole stepping up two sizes every 4" until I got to 1/2" hole then I repeated this two more times measure from the centerline 4" each direction and repeat the holes.

If you look closely you can see some of the holes.

Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
Old Smoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluDawg pretty well covered the better points. You could extend the exhaust down to grate level with a piece of dryer vent but with the baffle in place it may not make that big of a difference, as for the paint burning off,thats a given, just get a bottle of cheap vegetable oil and an old rag and rub the places where the paint burned off it'll start to look like a cast iron skillet after awhile and just do it after every cook while the box is still warm, spray oil will work as well. The charcoal basket will definately give a longer burn time.
LIAR #29
------------------------------
BOSMECH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11 12 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the idea I was thinking of doing to my Brinkmann SnP. And now that you did it and the small to bigger hole idea that is just awesome.
BOSMECH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11 12 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did some measurements to fab up some plates and roll them.
I can use stainless or aluminum, I know stainless would be better but would aluminum work ?
Also BluDawg can you get any more pictures I would appreciate it a lot.
Thanks Very Happy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11 12 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOSMECH wrote:
I can use stainless or aluminum, I know stainless would be better but would aluminum work ?

BOSMECH, I would use the stainless but that's just me.

Hybrid Cooker
MrBone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12 12 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluDawg wrote:
You'll beat your self silly trying to keep temps with Charcoal unless you build a basket and raise the the height so there is plenty of breathing room under it. Or do like I did and cut some 1" angle iron to 12.5" and place it in the fire fox with a sheet of expanded on top. I use a chimney of lump to start out and feed it splits the rest of the cook.

To get a nice even temp across the cooking surface take the two CI grates that came in the firebox and put 1 at each end of the cooking chamber invert the charcoal pan and lay it on top push the pan up to the fire box opening. I used a UNI Bit and drilled 12 holes in the pan at 6" intervals starting at 3" from the fire box with a 1/4" hole stepping up two sizes every 4" until I got to 1/2" hole then I repeated this two more times measure from the centerline 4" each direction and repeat the holes.

If you look closely you can see some of the holes.

That's awesome, thank you, I'll try that.
BOSMECH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 12 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I made some baffles just like the ones you have but out of aluminum and then my co-worker said that it would cause a posinious gas if I used them so I put them back.
The stainless is on a big sheet and is going to be a major pain in the a$$ to cut.
I just might scub the hole idea.
smoke'em
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 12 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I my have missed it, but if you are going by the therm on the chargriller, it is way off. I had one and started using my digital therm and realized it was off by 75 deg.
Charro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 12 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOSMECH wrote:
Well I made some baffles just like the ones you have but out of aluminum and then my co-worker said that it would cause a posinious gas if I used them so I put them back.

Sure are alot of aluminum cookers, roasting pans and various other cookware items on the market poisoning people then.

Back yard offset
Bill aka Mole

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12 12 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOSMECH wrote:

Zinc coated steel is a problem. Unfortunately, some zinc coat does look like aluminum. Perhaps that is what your co-worker thought you had. Just my $0.02.
BOSMECH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15 12 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aluminum I can get is for aircraft, I think you guys are right and my co-worker has his head up his a$$ since he is a know-it-all.
I am going to get the rolled peaces I made from the scrape area at work and give them a try.
davejschultz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16 12 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an old link to some mods that have served me will with my Chargriller. Get that think tuned in, and you'll love it!

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31760&highlight=

Char-Griller Trio 3030 / Masterbuilt 30 Electric / Webber One Touch Gold / Small BGE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: