FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mesquite Smoked Turkeys Recipe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09 12 11:17 pm    Post subject: Mesquite Smoked Turkeys Recipe Reply with quote

Food:
Two 14 lb. Turkeys
Poultry Seasoning (double this for two):
2 Tbsp Rosemary
2 Tbsp Thyme
2 Tbsp Salt
1 Tsp Pepper
Vegtable Oil

Tools:
Weber 22.5" Kettle with hinged grate
Charcoal Chimney
Stubb's Hardwood Charcoal Briquettes
Weber Lighter Cubes
Two Weber Charcoal Holder Thingies
Foil Drip Pan
Mesquite Wood Chips
Tongs

1. Thaw Turkeys, remove giblets and neck. Affix skin of neck cavity to back with skewer, fold wings behind back. Thoroughly rinse Turkey and pat dry.

2. Paint turkeys generously with vegetable oil, rub seasoning all over bird. Leave body cavity open, you don't stuff these birds.

3. Soak mesquite chips in water for at least a half hour, get around 16 briquettes going in the chimney, let them burn for about 20 minutes.

4. Move the charcoal holders to the sides of the grill, foil pan in the middle. Fill foil pan about halfway with water. Add 8 briquettes to each holder, and add a handful of mesquite chips directly on top of briquettes.

5. Throw the turkeys on the grill, keep them in the center as much as is possible.

6. Maintain heat around 225 degrees, figure around a 7 hour smoke (half hour per pound). Each time you add charcoal, add another handful of mesquite and drizzle vegtable oil over turkeys.

7. Check the temperature at around the 7 hour mark. If I recall correctly you want about 180 degrees in the thigh and 165 in the breast. (It might be vice versa-you will want to definately check those figures to be sure, nothing more disgusting than undercooked poultry). Carve and serve.

These will come out a beautiful golden brown, and I'll wager they will shock you at just how tender, juicy and flavorful they are.

I wish I had a better picture, but my friend took this. We were camping at the time. I take the Weber with me wherever we camp.

BOSMECH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All with a Guinness now you can't go wrong there lad.
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkeys look good my idea of camping not seeing anything remotely resembling civilization. Razz
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
MrBone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOSMECH wrote:

Yeah, actually, I'd pour a bit of Guinness into the cavities each time I swapped the charcoal. Smile
MrBone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluDawg wrote:
Turkeys look good my idea of camping not seeing anything remotely resembling civilization. Razz

I totally agree. As campsites go, this one sucks. You can see these giant smokestacks in one direction, in the other you can see the two towers of the Fermi Nuclear plant. Not exactly rustic.

We go here for the Harvest Festival because it's great for our daughter. About a month before Halloween, they do a Halloween themed weekend and the kids get to trick-or-treat to all the campsites. There's a competition for best Halloween decorations, too, so it makes up for the general lousiness of the site.
BOSMECH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBone wrote:
BOSMECH wrote:

Yeah, actually, I'd pour a bit of Guinness into the cavities each time I swapped the charcoal. Smile
Then that there is a real smoked Turkey the Irish way.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you about to violate that bird with your finger? Shocked
#3 LIAR
Bdub

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11 12 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Weber Grill..........It does a nice job. Those turkeys look good. I'm gonna have to try your recipe. Good Job!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: