FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hot water bath

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatboy240

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 12 2:48 am    Post subject: hot water bath Reply with quote

good day to all. i have heard Of some doing There sausage in the smoker for so long then taking them out and placing in a hot water bath, can someone please explain the process of this and the advantage. and what are you using for temps of water and what the heck are you using to put sausage into , thanks in advance
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 12 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When cold smoking sausage you don't actually get the sausage hot enough to consider it cooked, (165° plus), so in order to cook the sausage fully they take the cold smoked sausage out of the pit and cook them in a bath of hot water, until they are cooked.

Cold smoking can be at temperatures from 80 - 130 or even a little higher, at those temperatures you could have smoked it for 6 or 8 hours without cooking the meat.

I still work here!
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 12 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: hot water bath Reply with quote

fatboy240 wrote:
i have heard Of some doing There sausage in the smoker for so long then taking them out and placing in a hot water bath, can someone please explain the process of this and the advantage. and what are you using for temps of water and what the heck are you using to put sausage into , thanks in advance

The process for smoked sausage (i.e. sausage that has Cure in it and is put into a smoker) I use can vary.
If I 'hot' smoke the sausage (temps go from 120° to 180°F), I will give it 3-4 hours of good smoke. I will then finish it in a hot water (167°—no higher). Why the bath? I end up with a moister, plumper sausage; plus it only takes about 30 minutes to finish. To finish in the smoker can require another 2-3 hours (or more). Negligible difference in the 'smokiness' between the two. So i do it for both the convenience AND the tasty results.

I use an old turkey roaster (when I say 'old', I mean 'old'—about 62 years Wink ). This bad boy:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/GuitarPix/Stuffer%20Stuff/TurkeyRoaster.jpg

You can use a large stove top pan so long as it can accommodate your sausages. You do need to keep the water UNDER 170°C. Too hot & you'll cause the fat in the links to render ("fat out")=bad results.

For cold-smoking, I follow the same procedure, although the smoke time is greatly extended—often 3x the smoke time for hot. On my last job (bologna), I cold-smoked for about 6 hours before poaching. A good, smokey flavor to the meat. The color won't get as 'red' as hot-smoked, but the flavor will certainly be there.

Kevin
fatboy240

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 12 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats quite the unit there kevin. and you say no diffrance in smoke flavor. might have to try this, sounds like it can reduce the cook time by alot. thanks everyone
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 12 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dont call it a hot water bath...essentially like explained about...we take it up to 170 water...not boiling like was said.

in the smoker for a few hours at 150 to 160 until the skin just starts to crinkle...slightly.

take out and into the pot of water on the stove. for 15 minutes...this cooks the sausage the rest of the way.

This also means this is ready to eat sausage if you want straight from the bag...but we alway either broil with a bit of water or BBQ from frozen.

being doing this for a long time.
fatboy240

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 12 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks BBQonICE. nice to see another sask guy on here, really wanting to try this when i get some time off.
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08 12 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where u from....few from the prairies here
Seminole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09 12 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water transfers heat much faster than air. You have the air in a smokehouse or in the oven. If your sausage has a small diameter it does not matter much, but if you have 18 lbs. ham, it is a different story. It will take very long time to bake it and it becomes costly. You throw the same ham into 80 C (176) water and it will cook much faster. Some sausages are 4-5 inches in diameter so cooking in water is faster. Besides, it is much easier to control temperature of a pot filled with water than the air temperature in a smokehouse.

People don't realize that after smoking most sausages are cooked in water. To be fair, the baked in a smokehouse sausage looks shinier due to some of the fat that came through a casing. It settles on the surface of the casing, just like a shoe-polish on your shoes.

Some known recipes specify that the sausage be baked in a smokehouse, for example Kabanosy or most hunter sausages, otherwise it is your choice.
fatboy240

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 12 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi BBQonICE iam from redvers down in southeast courner. away working right now. i see you are from moosejaw. right in town or on the farm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: