FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preserving avocado's...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24 12 6:29 am    Post subject: Preserving avocado's... Reply with quote

So my wife found a screaming deal on avocado's(3 large organic avocado's for a buck). It would be a shame to not buy a chit load and then preserve them somehow for the winter.
So my question is do any of the ringers here have a tried and true method?
We are thinking guac and then put into either ziplock bags or small tupperware containers that would make a good serving for the family.
#3 LIAR
masoncat1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24 12 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep!

I'm a sucker for a good deal on avocados because I eat them all the time. Keeping them for a long time is easy.

Peel, and mash them, add lime juice, and toss em in the deep freezer. Not sure if you can use lemon juice or not because I have never tried, so try at your own risk.

I usually mash about 4 avocados with 1/2 a lime's worth of juice per ziplock bag. I would imagine if you used a vacuum sealed bag it might last even longer, but I've made guacamole from these after being in the freezer for like 6 or 7 months.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24 12 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masoncat1 wrote:
Yep!

I'm a sucker for a good deal on avocados because I eat them all the time. Keeping them for a long time is easy.

Peel, and mash them, add lime juice, and toss em in the deep freezer. Not sure if you can use lemon juice or not because I have never tried, so try at your own risk.

I usually mash about 4 avocados with 1/2 a lime's worth of juice per ziplock bag. I would imagine if you used a vacuum sealed bag it might last even longer, but I've made guacamole from these after being in the freezer for like 6 or 7 months.

Awesome!
I was looking at some methods and recipes and everything said to use lemon, and she asked if lime was okay, to which i said "Not sure, everything said lemon". She is headed for the store at the moment to snatch up at least 9 of em. She will be happy to hear limes work.
#3 LIAR
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24 12 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting thread. I had no idea you could freeze Avocados (which I love). Looking forward to seeing the results.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24 12 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
Very interesting thread. I had no idea you could freeze Avocados (which I love). Looking forward to seeing the results.

Pictures will show up.
I was thinking about trying to dry one but it looks like it is not a good idea.
She grabbed 30lbs of bananas for $5 also. Shocked

The dehydrator is going to be working over time for the next few days. She already sliced and diced 10lbs of bananas to go into the freezer. It is looking like i may have to employ a freezer that a friend gave me to handle the score on everything. And the continuing bounty over the next few weeks.

Oh, she found a "family" size package of london broil in the small freezer which means some jerky will be hitting the dehydrator shortly after the fruit is done. Sweeeeetttt!
#3 LIAR
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24 12 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id be a bit leary of super cheap avacados, they're usually just about toast when they get that cheap.

I got my dehydrator half full of hops and still have 2 1/2 of the three strings to harvest yet. The other hop plant was growing up a stick I had screwed to my deck hand rail and it broke the screws about a month ago so they been growing on the rose bushes since then. It grew up a 12' stick and back down to the rose bush then pulled the stick over til it broke the screws holding the stick vertical.

Between drying hops and dill leaves and making pickles (second batch, done ghirkins a couple weeks ago) all day yesterday my garage smells like........some sort of magic.

Ill start pickling peppers and dehydrating red japs for chipotle next weekend. Got a couple other irons in the fire as well.
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24 12 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool deal! There is a kick-a$$ local Mexican market that we get most of our meats and produce from. They usually have Avocados for $.60 and Bananas for $.40/lb. I've finally been in there enough times that I don't get 'That Look' (The one where everyone wants to know "WTF is that white guy doing in here") and they actually say 'Hola, Amigo'.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24 12 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be leary as well. But the wife was very happy with the first 3 and retrieved 9 more.
The house smells like bananas right now. Probably will smell like avocado in a few hours when start making the mash to freeze.
#3 LIAR
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24 12 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Ray, we are making sushi tonight using the last package of smoked salmon from you. Thanks!
#3 LIAR
masoncat1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24 12 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoked salmon on sushi? Shocked
tacklebox
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24 12 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using ascorbic acid powder (vitamin C) in place of the lime/lemon juice. About 1/8 tsp. per pint of avocado puree works well. You can buy it in powder form, or get the caplets in the health and beauty section of your local store.
Twisted Evil Pompous Ass Bigoted LIAR #69 Twisted Evil
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24 12 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon smoker wrote:
She grabbed 30lbs of bananas for $5 also. Shocked

Well now if you say your wife is driving your bananas, we'll believe you. I predict banana bread in your future.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27 12 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran across this by accident:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/10/freezing-avocados_n_1864437.html?1347281905
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: