FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite pizza dough recipe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smokepit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14 12 1:01 am    Post subject: Favorite pizza dough recipe Reply with quote

What are you using for your pizza. I have been using a bread flour recipe to make mine but is isn't quite what I'm looking for. I use:

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

2 cups bread flour

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons white sugar

I'm am trying to get a nice airy outside crust, and thin but soft under crust, like my local pizza joint. This recipe I'm using has a dense crust and is very thick and crispy. I was thinking of using half ap and half bread flour to see if this will help. What do you think, I am a noobie when it comes to bread making.
Thumper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14 12 1:59 am    Post subject: Pizza Making Forum Reply with quote

This forum will give some things to read and ponder. It has been a big help for me. Like this board the folks are friendly and helpful.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php
jaronimo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14 12 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is my recipe, works great. The flour gives it a great crust. The Caputo flour is a little different, gets big air bubbles in the crust which is pretty tasty. The King Arthur works great too. i never had good luck using bread flour.

Ingredients

1/2 teaspoon (3 grams) fresh cake yeast
2 cups lukewarm water
1 tablespoon salt
7 1/4 cups Caputo flour or King Arthur unbleached all purpose flour, plus more for dusting

Instructions

In a small bowl, using a fork, stir the yeast into 1 cup of the lukewarm water. Set aside until yeast dissolves.
In another small bowl combine salt and remaining 1 cup of water. Stir to dissolve the salt.
Place 7 cups of flour into a large bowl and make a well in the center of the flour and stir in the yeast and slat mixtures. Using a wooden spoon, mix the dough, incorporating as much flour as possible.
Then turn the dough out onto a lightly floured kneading surface and knead until soft and elastic, about 12-15 minutes. It will still be a little sticky, but shouldn't stick to your hands. Add a minimum amount of the remaining flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
To prepare the dough for rising cut the dough into even portions (about 5 or 6) each weighing about 9.5 ounces. Pick up one protion of dough and start folding the edges underneath toward the center to form a tight, smooth ball. Pinch to seal. Repeat with remaining dough balls. Place the dough in a plastic container or ziploc bag that has been coated with cooking spray. Squeeze out as much air as possible and seal the bags or containers, leaving enough room for the dough to double in size.
Let the dough rise in a cool area (60 degrees) for 6-8 hours, a warmer area for less time, or put them in the fridge for 10 to 24 hours to rise more slowly.
Remove the dough from the refrigerator at least one hour before using to allow it to come to room temperature.
Take the dough out of the container and shape it on a lightly floured surface using only enough kneading to shape it as desired.
Add toppings and cook.
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15 12 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just made a batch this morning while two loaves of French bread were baking. Placed it in the freezer for vacation.

The Joy of Cooking recipe, substituting 1 c. cake flour for a portion of the AP flour.

2 1/2 - 2 3/4 c. AP flour
1 c. cake flour
2 T. olive oil
1 T. Kosher salt
1 T. sugar
1 1/3 c. warm water (105 - 115 F)
1 measure yeast (2 1/4 t.)
Smokepit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15 12 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumper, thanks for the link. Looks like an awesome site. I can see that just like I learned here on the ring about bbq, there is way more to pizza then just dough,sauce, and pepperoni. Lots to learn.
Thumper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16 12 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokepit,
You are welcome. Your right, there is a lot more to the pizza world than I thought as well.
pizzapaul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16 12 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find it, use a high gluten flour as opposed to all purpose flour. If you cant find it, I think you can find a gluten additive. Do not overmix your dough, knead/mix just enough to get a smooth texture on the outside. Be sure to let the dough proof well, allowing to double in size either before refrigerating or in the fridge. I prefer to do this out of the fridge and then allow to cool all the way to fridge temp. Allow dough temp to rise to 50 degrees or so before forming.
pizzapaul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16 12 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another suggestion is don't be afraid to go to your local pizza place and ask them for a doughball. I realize that you probably want to make it from scratch yourself but I regularly have people ask me for doughballs and I'll always give them for free. Most of my managers will charge a buck each if I'm not there and throw it in the tip jar for the staff. Not all pizza shops will do this but never hurts to ask.
KP Duty
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16 12 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man. I was hoping you would be posting some pizza stuff. I'm getting ready so start a backyard pizza oven / kettle, and will be "knocking" on your door. Smile
40Gal Hor. cooker w/ rotisserie
ECB
6' In yard rotisserie
Gasser ( for burn bans)
35Gal. Chexmix smoker, 55G. this year
50 year old cast iron kettle, wants TLC
pizzapaul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16 12 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll help where I can but I don't know a thing about BBQ'ing pizza...

YET!
KP Duty
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16 12 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pizzapaul wrote:
I'll help where I can but I don't know a thing about BBQ'ing pizza...

YET!

I don't really either Sad guess we'll both learn something Very Happy
40Gal Hor. cooker w/ rotisserie
ECB
6' In yard rotisserie
Gasser ( for burn bans)
35Gal. Chexmix smoker, 55G. this year
50 year old cast iron kettle, wants TLC
Smokepit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19 12 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pizzapaul wrote:
Another suggestion is don't be afraid to go to your local pizza place and ask them for a doughball. I realize that you probably want to make it from scratch yourself but I regularly have people ask me for doughballs and I'll always give them for free. Most of my managers will charge a buck each if I'm not there and throw it in the tip jar for the staff. Not all pizza shops will do this but never hurts to ask.

I have considered doing that, and wouldn't mind paying a buck our two for it either. Another option that I have is that I work for a food service company and can get dough balls that way. They work well, we sell alot to convenience stores and small places that make pizza. I do prefer making my own though.
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21 12 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have a party (10+) I buy frozen Dough balls from Sams Club. They come 40 in a case. It also holds up to my 750deg. Oven.

Did I mention they were cheap too.
Disco
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Bread Baking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: