FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I rubbing it wrong?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shdwdrgn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22 12 5:22 am    Post subject: Am I rubbing it wrong? Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to smoking, but I've had good success trying different rubs on pork. One thing I've noticed is that the pictures many folks post appear nice and clean, with the color of the meat showing though.

This has made me wonder recently - after the meat has sat overnight in the rub, do you leave the rub on the meat, or are you supposed to brush/wash it off and throw the cleaned meat on the smoker?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22 12 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most folks will leave the rub on the meat, I don't rub mine and leave it on overnight, except to prepare meat for competition cooking.

I normally start my smoker, and while it heats up, I rub the meat and it sits maybe 30 minutes as the pit comes up to temperature.

Once the pit is at temperature, and the smoke is running how I like it, on goes the meat.

If you refrigerate your meat with the rub on overnight, you will get different results, with a rub that has a lot of salt, from those that don't have a lot of salt.

I still work here!
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22 12 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you refrigerate your meat with the rub on overnight, you will get different results, with a rub that has a lot of salt, from those that don't have a lot of salt.

SoEzzy, what will the taste difference be? I get that salt pulls water out. Isn't that a good thing?
Disco
Shdwdrgn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22 12 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm so is there any problem with smoking, perhaps a pork shoulder, without any rub at all? Would it just be bland or dry out too much? Or would just just get the natural flavor of the meat plus smoke?
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22 12 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shdwdrgn wrote:
Hmm so is there any problem with smoking, perhaps a pork shoulder, without any rub at all? Would it just be bland or dry out too much? Or would just just get the natural flavor of the meat plus smoke?

I have tried it both ways.
Personally i like the rub overnight, including ribs. But i do back the salt off in those rubs. I have and will give them a light sprinkle in the morning with salt if i feel the need.
I personally think the rub is something that you add to up the ante flavor wise. But you can certainly make good BBQ w/out it. A lot of the places here in my city started out using rubs but as the business drops off or the quality does the same. The owners start pinching pennies and the rub is the first thing to be dropped.
#3 LIAR
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22 12 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awning Guy wrote:
Quote:

SoEzzy, what will the taste difference be? I get that salt pulls water out. Isn't that a good thing?

You can also get a change in texture, it's not a texture change that I'm fond of in pulled pork.

When cooking pulled pork I like to cook Bone in butts as a first choice, then bone in whole shoulder, then bone in Picnic shoulder, followed by bone out Butts.

The texture to me of higher salt butt is more like Picnic shoulder.

Some high salt rubs turn the taste more to a cured ham flavor, again not what I'm looking for in pulled pork, though some other people say they like that flavor, so you go with what you like.

I still work here!
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23 12 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even "rub" per se. I just sprinkle with sea salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. I might pat it a bit to stick but that is it. That's usually about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before it goes in the smoker. I have never let it sit over night. Smile

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
thsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24 12 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shdwdrgn wrote:

For pork shoulder, I usually just put some kosher salt on before putting it on the cooker. Have also tried it without any rub. No problem with drying out. I add a North Carolina based sauce after pulling or chopping to add more flavor.
Shdwdrgn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25 12 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patruns wrote:
I don't even "rub" per se. I just sprinkle with sea salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. I might pat it a bit to stick but that is it. That's usually about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before it goes in the smoker. I have never let it sit over night. Smile

That's fairly close to one of the rubs I tried last time, although I use canning salt. It's definitely getting closer to a flavor my wife and I both enjoy. Maybe next time I will try not letting it sit overnight. I like the flavor, just not the bark.

Darn, this means I have to fire up the smoker again... Very Happy
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25 12 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better bark = more sugar, brown sugar is best.
Shdwdrgn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25 12 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimH wrote:

That is up for debate. I love brown sugar, and I love the sweet taste, but the rubs I have tried which were sugar-based came out completely black and tasting burnt to me. That was the reason I moved away from brown-sugar based rubs this last time.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25 12 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shdwdrgn wrote:
JimH wrote:

That is up for debate. I love brown sugar, and I love the sweet taste, but the rubs I have tried which were sugar-based came out completely black and tasting burnt to me. That was the reason I moved away from brown-sugar based rubs this last time.

Turbinado sugar. It stands up to heat much better.
#3 LIAR
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25 12 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much heat = burnt sugar. 225 for however long it takes.
Shdwdrgn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25 12 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimH wrote:
Too much heat = burnt sugar. 225 for however long it takes.

I just upgraded my smoker with an actual thermometer and some control vents. The first thing I noticed was that on the original heat gauge, the 'ideal' range is actually much hotter than I realized (approaching 300 degrees at the rack), even though the time it took for the internal temp of the meat to hit 195 was about what I expected (14-15 hours for a pair of 8-pound pork shoulders). My next cook will have the temperatures much better controlled, so we shall see how it turns out.
Swamp Mama's
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25 12 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoke meat daily at my BBQ Joint, and I put the rub on right before it goes on the grill. It penetrates the meats just fine........I've found no need to do overnight rub or marinades for my BBQ.............Jerky is a different story!!!! I do spray my pork with apple cider vinegar before putting on my rub. It helps open the pores for the rub to penetrate. Just my opinion, but my pork butts, briskets, bologna, chicken, briskets and all come out delicious daily this way. Sometimes you can over think doing some things. Rolling Eyes
Masterbuilt 40
Masterbuilt 30
Weber 22.5 Gold
ace27705

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18 12 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i take mine out and apply a little more rub sprinkle it lightly and evenly.If its looks pretty before you cook it i will look pretty comming out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: