FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot and fast question?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01 12 3:07 am    Post subject: Hot and fast question? Reply with quote

So i have a brisket that is 13lb's.
I have done a couple of hot and fast cooks on a big set up. Just wondering about time and temps on a small CB offset. Thinking i will aim for 300°-325°. I really dont want to be up at 3am and cooking until 5pm.
#3 LIAR
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01 12 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trimming it heavily?

Will you pan or foil it?

I'd push it even a little more, 325° - 350° works pretty well, at the higher temperature in a UDS you can get cooking times down to around the 6 hour mark.

I cook FSD for an hour - an hour and a half, then FSU for an hour to an hour and a half, then finish in the pan with a foil lid for a couple more hours FSD.

I like to finish it in the pan to contain the juices, and cook it Fat Side Down to keep the flat from getting soggy, you can also put the meat on a cooling rack in the pan, that helps keep it out of the juices while still collecting the juice.

I still work here!
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01 12 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Are you trimming it heavily?

Will you pan or foil it?

I'd push it even a little more, 325° - 350° works pretty well, at the higher temperature in a UDS you can get cooking times down to around the 6 hour mark.

I cook FSD for an hour - an hour and a half, then FSU for an hour to an hour and a half, then finish in the pan with a foil lid for a couple more hours FSD.

I like to finish it in the pan to contain the juices, and cook it Fat Side Down to keep the flat from getting soggy, you can also put the meat on a cooling rack in the pan, that helps keep it out of the juices while still collecting the juice.

Not planning on foil or a pan.
The last 2 big rig cooks we only foiled at the end for holding purposes and they came out juicy.
So i was thinking a 6am fire start, 7am meat on the grate. Should be done around 2 or so. Into foil and a cooler, its easier to hot hold then rush the meat. I figure around cutting and service will be around 5pm or so.
#3 LIAR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Hot & Fast All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: