FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

explain please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30 12 8:33 am    Post subject: explain please Reply with quote

Ok... here it goes. I'm looking at building a vertical smoker and I'm not clear on some things. First off I am not an expert by any strech of the imagination. I've been smooking on a cheap gas vertical smoker for a good while now and I would like to boom WAYup... The problem is I'm having trouble sorting through all the different things I research. What I mean by that is... I understand the basics but some people say not to have the fire right below your meat, some people put their stacks below their bottom rack, some people have their stack top dead center, water pan no water pan, etc.
The only smoker I've worked with is my cheapie. there are a lot of photos of the UDS and tank smokers\tuning plates or revese flow, but the internal workings of the vertical smoker are a little harder to find.
So how do the more popular modles work it out? false walls behind the cook chamber? Pans centered over an opening to the fire box, with water and narrow gaps around the walls? Please be kind and remember I only have experiance with a cheap gas smoker. If any one knows of some schematics I could look at, or could direct me to were I could have the internal workings of different verticals exained to me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance. And thanks again to everyone for making me feel welcome.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30 12 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbq tenderfoot, the basic UDS has no water pan or diffuser. The drippings fall straight to the coals, while some folks like this flavor others do not so they choose to use pans or diffusers to slow this down a bit. Other reasons for pans or diffusers are if your cooker his hard to maintain lower temps then the water pan or diffuser can help achieve lower more stable temps.
There are several styles of cabinet cookers and many clones of the commercial brands. The pitmaker brand has false walls with two lower openings for exhaust and one opening high going into the chamber. This allows the smoke to move from top to bottom.
Here is one of the best clones I have seen to date.
http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45599
What we need to know is what exactly you want as far as style and size then we can direct you in the correct direction.
See that wasn't to bad I was gentle. Wink Very Happy Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30 12 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I hope I can explain this well enough. What I want is to be able to smoke a whole small hog 80 - 120 lbs. on my vertical smoker. the reason I would like to go vertical is I like making a lot of sausage and I'm tired of having to smoke 12 & sometimes more batches of sausage. It would be nice to be able to do it in one or two batches. As I explained on the introduce yourself thread my wife and I are thinking of starting to go to the compatitions. Just for fun and to meet other people with the same interests, a hobbie sorta speek.
Anyway I just want a design that won't need tons of wood so I figure insulated, also would like it to have even heat throughout so I was thinking a stack to the bottom rack with a false wall on the two sides etc. etc. I don't mean to ramble but I want the same things everyone else wants out of their smoker... efficiency.
Please feel free to tell me if I didn't give you the info you needed, because I'm not sure how to explaine it better than that. Sorry if that is not exactly what you meant. And thanks for going easy on me...
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30 12 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbq tenderfoot, you could build pitmaker style but increase the chamber height to accommodate a hog hanging vertical. I would think 60" to 75" minimum for an 80lb hog.
You could also build an insulated cabinet style horizontal cooker with tuning plates for whole pigs with a large enough vertical attached to the end for sausage smoking. This would be my option.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30 12 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I was thinking about was a cabinet style smoker. I apologize. Your last post made me realize I was calling what I was asking about a vertical smoker and I ment a cabinet smoker. Sorry, I really am new to anything but my little vertical smoker.
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30 12 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I would like to make the smoker a stick burner. I apologize again for having my termanology screwed up. I did mean cabinet smoker. I dont know how big to do a small hog or if it could be a stick burner, reverse flow or what?
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30 12 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the jacks old south.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30 12 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like to but can't find a breakdown of one. Does anyone know where I could find somthing like that? I know it may sound silly but, I have this want, to build my own.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30 12 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbq tenderfoot wrote:
I would really like to but can't find a breakdown of one. Does anyone know where I could find somthing like that? I know it may sound silly but, I have this want, to build my own.

I do not blame you. Why pay outrageous dollars for a cooker when you can build your own for less.
bbq tenderfoot, look at some of Wreckless's builds and incorporate his flat doors into a totally square insulated chamber. Your doors will need an opening of at least 50" and the chamber preferably 30" deep for air circulation for a 100 lb pig. Once you decide on a chamber size use the pit calculator to determine your firebox and other openings or let me or other members know what size chamber and we will help figure it for you. You do not need pictures of what you want, what you need is to decide on some dimensions of your build then we can figure the particulars. I apologize if it sounds like I am dancing around but I already see your cooker in my head. I have built a many of cookers but I have no idea of the size it takes to smoke two runs of sausage because I do not smoke sausage. If someone gives me dimensions I let them know if it will work or needs tweaking.

Hybrid Cooker
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30 12 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was thinking of interior dimensions of about 48"Hx48"Wx30"D but if I would need a door at least 50" I guess that is not going to work... LOL I've never cooked whole hog before. Have helped with a Hawian style cook a coupple times and have had pit pig several times but never gotten to do one myself. So the dimensions I would need are not somthing I would have a clue about. But the chambe size I have given would give me enough vertical room to do the sausage with small removeable angle iron rods at the top.
so probably I would need it to be at least 60"W then right?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30 12 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbq tenderfoot, I would stay in the 60" to 70" wide range and make the height and depth 30".

Hybrid Cooker
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31 12 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... I kind of want the height for hanging sausage. Don't want those grill marks on the sausage before they're grilled. lol
I know that sounds silly but it is true. It's much better to hang it than to smoke it horizontaly.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31 12 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbq tenderfoot, if you elect to go with a 60" long x 48" tall x 30" deep chamber your needed firebox would be 30" tall x 30" wide x 32" long.
Taking into account for the height of the firebox and the 48" tall chamber then needing about a 10" tall x 23" wide R/F tunnel your chamber top will be about 88" tall.

Hybrid Cooker
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31 12 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really would like to look at the way some of the more popular models of cabinets are built for efficiency and even heating. Also I was wondering about possibly installing fans inside the smoke chamber to assist with even heating. I am sure this is not unheard of, but... is it worth it?
I would really just like to see some drawings and photos of the more popular cabinet type smokers just for my own gratification, not that I don't trust you... But more because I've never gotten to play with 1 or actually even see a really nice 1 in person.
The other problem I'm having is I have so many questions I'm not sure which ones to ask first and which ones are relevant or not.
I was thinking about what you were saying on the height of the smoker I believe I could probably go as short as 36 inches since the cabinet will be longer I can hang shorter ropes but will be able to hang more of them. Would that help any? Would that help any with the smoke chamber? I appreciate all your help K.A.M.
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31 12 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's really tall and I am not. Lol
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31 12 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's just almost too much to take into consideration. The height of your rack verses the bottom of the cooker, weather you have water pan or not. I may be thinking about this all wrong. I need about 36 inches of clear space to hang the sausage without getting it too close to heat source so that everything will smoke evenly. I guess I didn't even think about the fact that once I remove the racks I can probably hang the sausage below the bottom rack. But wouldn't that affect where my exhaust was? Like I said maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong maybe I need two separate smokers... I was just trying to get a 1 smoker does it all scenario.
Chuck
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31 12 9:33 am    Post subject: draw Reply with quote

bbq tenderfoot

I would really just like to see some drawings and photos of the more popular cabinet type smokers just for my own gratification, not that I don't trust you...

CAN you draw

Stilwell Chuck
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31 12 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can draw with pencil and paper... On the computer, not so much.
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31 12 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at some of the Backwoods smokers and their whole hog cooker is a bit smaller than what we are talking about. I know the heigth thing is my deal but, how tight are the backwods cookers? does anyone have any experiance with this smoker. because if I would take my heigth down to 40" and 56" wide that may help with the over all size. But how tight would the chamber be for a whole hog?
28x39x54 are the cooking area dimensions for the backwoods smoker.
I'm not trying to be a pain I'm just trying to get what I am looking for as cheap as I can. So smaller = less material = less cost, but I don't want to end up with a product I won't be happy with just trying to save a minimal amount of money.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01 12 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just a couple of weeks ago put a whole hog in that was just a little to long to put in across, so I put it in diagonally,you get a few more inches that way.as far as hanging can't you coil the ropes over the hanging sticks?
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: